SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I was out and about most of the day. I would say 75 percent had no mask on. Also I’ve noticed a much higher percentage of women with them on than men. Traffic around here is probably 80% of what it was. I’m also seeing more elderly people not wearing a mask.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I was out and about most of the day. I would say 75 percent had no mask on. Also I’ve noticed a much higher percentage of women with them on than men. Traffic around here is probably 80% of what it was. I’m also seeing more elderly people not wearing a mask.

That's about what I noticed. Most with masks on were 40 or younger women. I didn't see any one over 60 years old with a mask of man or woman.

Traffic was about 80% of normal and gas is almost $2.00 per gallon on regular.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Went to do some banking yesterday afternoon. As I'm walking up to the bank a older gentleman wearing a mask heading to his car locks and holds eye contact with me for about twenty feet. I just smiled.

When I got back in the rig my wife asked who that was as she thought I was talking to the guy, I said I think I was getting dog eyed for not wearing a mask. Not a word was exchanged with the guy.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I know you all will be shocked, just shocked to learn the Evil Queen of Michigan has extended the lock down until 6-12.

And her tame judge opened the door for it.

Yet there are reports all over that she's already at her summer home in N. Mich. For the holiday weekend. We have to stay home and she does what she wants.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to do some banking yesterday

Not a violent mask or anti-mask, but wtf does this actually mean?

Do some banking? Exchanging bullion?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Went to do some banking yesterday

Not a violent mask or anti-mask, but wtf does this actually mean?

Do some banking? Exchanging bullion?

Make a deposit? Anything else?

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just saw a iPhone video of a restaurant in South Carolina tonight; it looked full of people enjoying their food and drink, no masks to be seen not even on staff. Looks like any typical Friday night in a busy restaurant anywhere.

Meanwhile we wanted to order takeout (the only way to get food from a restaurant right now) Mexican from our favorite Mexican hole in the wall place, but they weren’t answering their phone. So I drove over to order in person, and had to wear a mask to even get through the door. Of course the door is locked, and the place is dark. They probably said “fuck it” and went back to Mexico Confused

Our Dictator-Governor Tom Wolf has us on this ridiculous 3 part phase system and my county is still currently in “Red”. He just released a new updated version of this nonsense tonight WTF is this “new normal” BS? Don’t tell me that this has not become 100% political! Mad

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The new normal is the old normal

Anyone who eats otherwise is deluding themselves.

Already shaking hands with people I have t seen in awhile and I don’t give two shits about the uptight pansies parading around in their technicolor masks which are most likely worthless

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhtagmember,

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife and I were out for most of the day today. We are having a family gathering here on Saturday. Looks like there will be over 30 people now. It keeps growing. Anyways, we needed food and stuff and we wanted to drop the puppy off for some grooming.

We went first to a large supermarket (HyVee) in Osage. The place was packed with tourists and Lake dwellers from all over the mid-west for the holiday weekend. I would say 60% of the people were wearing masks which is not surprising as many are from the large urban areas and cities to the north. Prior to this weekend I seldom saw maybe 20% of the people out and about wearing masks.

Shoot, I actually found some hand sanitizer (germ-X) at one of the wal-marts. First time I've seen any in a store. Gas was $1.49. I ain't going anywhere until Tuesday.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
We need to flatten the curve! stay home, be safe

oh its flattened?

We need to save lives! Stay home, be safe

Oh, the death toll has dropped significantly and was inflated?

We MUST prevent a second wave!! stay home, stay safe

In other words, we'll find any excuse to keep you at home.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
WTF is this "new normal" BS?

Not to worry. Remember when O told us that a crippled economy was the "new normal", and then Trump proved he was full of shit? It's the same political gambit - hell, it's a recycled political gambit - expect the same outcome.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the bank to do some banking, old enough to understand the term. Wink
And saw something which takes the cake.

Lobby has been closed, supposed to open back up June 1st.

So, waiting in the drive through, there's a couple sitting in the vehicle next to me.
Both wearing masks, both wearing gloves.

The lady grabs the bank canister, removes her stuff.... then grabs the hand sanitizer (which is tied to the top of the steering column) and uses it on the GLOVES! Confused Roll Eyes

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Spoke to a friend who is a nurse and she kept ranting about how people need to stay at home, they don't have enough PPE and how her employer furloughed people and cut hours of others.

Even said she won't treat people who go out on purpose and get sick. Yeah, I'm sure it's really your choice. Roll Eyes

Not sure she sees the relationship between people staying at home/being locked down and their furloughing and reduction of hours. I'm not a genius and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but...

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Ammunition and charcoal briquets will be worth their weight in gold.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Thuringia is the first Germand state to announce plans for lifting the general rules of social distancing, wearing masks in shops and public transport, etc. State minister president Bodo Ramelow of the Left Party - currently in an uneasy minority government with Social Democrats and Greens that's sorta tolerated by the CDU pending new elections next April - said the current regulations will be replaced by measures at the discretion of counties from 6 June.

This comes as popular support for the national CDU-led government seems to have topped out after a spectacular rise during the crisis. Ironically, protests by fringe groups are increasing while restrictions are rapidly eased, with various political parties trying to seize on the issue. Particularly the right-wing AfD, the strong showing of which in last October's Thuringia state elections led to the current impassé; however, Ramelow's Left Party also has its corona rebels like national deputy parliamentary group leader Andrej Hunko, who recently held a diatribe about Bill Gates and the WHO at a protest in Aachen.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Totalitarian moving the goal posts to stay in power...

Comrade Whitmer Extends Stay-Home Order to June 12th – Michigan Now Focused on Eliminating Non-Existent “Second Wave”…

[Whitmer] said while coronavirus cases and deaths are clearly declining, “we are not out of the woods yet.” “If we’re going to lower the chance of a second wave and continue to protect our neighbors and loved ones from the spread of this virus, we must continue to do our part by staying safer at home.”

https://www.freep.com/story/ne...mpaign=snd-autopilot

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
uses it on the GLOVES!

I do the same thing except I use liquid 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Your tale doesn’t describe what the woman did with the stuff she got from the teller, but sanitizing the gloves could be intended to prevent whatever the gloves might have been contaminated with from then being transferred to the steering wheel or other surfaces. Whether that might be necessary or effective could be a matter of debate, but it’s certainly a possible motive for what she did. She might also intend to reuse the gloves (they are in very short supply these days), and the principle is no different than sanitizing touch surfaces in the home or elsewhere.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Article from the science journal Nature.
=======================================

How coronavirus lockdowns stopped flu in its tracks
Reported rates of influenza and other infections have fallen sharply, but some communicable diseases may see a rise.

Lockdowns and social-distancing measures aimed at slowing the spread of coronavirus seem to have shortened the influenza season in the northern hemisphere by about six weeks.

Globally, an estimated 290,000–650,000 people typically die from seasonal flu, so a shorter flu season could mean tens of thousands of lives are spared. But the net impacts on global health will be hard to unpick against the large number of deaths from COVID-19 as well as other causes in 2020 and beyond. Tracking influenza and other infectious diseases can help to reveal the effectiveness of public-health policies aimed at stopping the coronavirus pandemic.

Seasonal flu cases in the northern hemisphere usually peak in February and tail off by the end of May. This year, unusually, lab-confirmed cases of influenza dropped precipitously in early April, a few weeks after the coronavirus pandemic was declared on 11 March (see ‘Flu season cut short by COVID-19 measures’). The data comes from tests of more than 150,000 samples from national influenza laboratories in 71 countries that report data to FluNet, a global surveillance system.

The early end to the flu season comes despite the fact that it started with a bang; in January, before the coronavirus pandemic, the influenza season was on track to be the most severe in decades.

There are other possible contributors to the decline: people with flu symptoms might have avoided clinics altogether, for example, isolating at home and so not showing up in the statistics. But the response to the pandemic is likely to be an important factor: “Public-health measures such as movement restrictions, social distancing and increased personal hygiene likely had an effect on decreasing influenza and other respiratory virus transmission,” said the World Health Organization in a statement to Nature.

Local data from the state of New York show a similar pattern. Although the flu season started a few weeks earlier than usual there, the rate of cases fell sharply and the season ended five weeks early. In Hong Kong, the 2019–20 influenza season was 63% shorter than those of the previous five years, and the number of deaths from lab-confirmed flu was 62% lower1. A similar decline was seen during the 2003 epidemic of the related coronavirus that causes SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome).

Other infectious diseases might also have been affected this year, says study co-author, infectious-disease researcher Pak-leung Ho at the University of Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, compared with previous years, the number of chickenpox cases dropped by about half to three-quarters. In April, cases of measles and rubella were their lowest, globally, since at least 2016, according to provisional data available so far — only 36 cases of rubella were reported in April worldwide. Ho notes that typically these are diseases that affect children. “Closure of schools may have had the biggest impact,” he says.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) might also be affected, says Amanda Simanek, an epidemiologist at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee. Cases may decline in the absence of close contact, she says, but there may also be a decline in detection and treatment leading to a later surge. Other communicable diseases, such as tuberculosis, are more likely to see an upswing, because programmes to fight the disease have been derailed by the pandemic. The international organization the Stop TB Partnership released a report in May estimating that a 3-month lockdown and a 10-month period of recovery would cause an additional 1.37 million deaths globally during the next 5 years.

The flu season in the southern hemisphere is just starting (it typically peaks in July or August); it is unclear whether a similar flu trend will be seen there.

LINK

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
We need to flatten the curve! stay home, be safe

oh its flattened?

We need to save lives! Stay home, be safe

Oh, the death toll has dropped significantly and was inflated?

We MUST prevent a second wave!! stay home, stay safe

In other words, we'll find any excuse to keep you at home.

Do you feel like you're Charlie Brown and your governor is Lucy with the football?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After once calling the lockdowns 'inconvenient,' Fauci now says they may cause 'irreparable damage'

https://justthenews.com/nation...ay-cause-irreparable

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Friday admitted frankly that the rolling state lockdowns which he has advocated for multiple weeks could cause "irreparable damage" to the United States, a sharp distinction from his earlier claim that the shutdowns were merely "inconvenient."

The White House adviser made the statement during an interview on CNBC on Friday morning. "We can't stay locked down for such a considerable period of time that you might do irreparable damage and have unintended consequences, including consequences for health," he said.

"I don’t want people to think that any of us feel that staying locked down for a prolonged period of time is the way to go," he added.

The tone of Fauci's warning was a sharp departure from his remarks in late March when the doctor appeared to characterize the shutdowns in a strikingly understated way.

"This is tough. People are suffering. People are dying. It's inconvenient from a societal standpoint, from an economic standpoint to go through this, but this is going to be the answer to our problems," Fauci said at a White House press conference on Mar. 31.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post