SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
How is Fauci still employed here? Hasn’t his leadership and recommendations been a complete and utter failure? I mean according to the media and the gov, right?
He’s clearly just enjoying the spotlight. Trump get vilified with every breath he takes, why not replace drF with someone who has a focus on rebuilding. The mds who have just been at a desk or in academia have no idea what the real world needs.
Trump, time to lead. Get on it!

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to start a new thread on this subject. My BIL is 57 years old, has high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, but isn't overweight.

Four months ago, he had a "small" heart attack while at work (he's a Family Medicine doctor in Long Island), and was admitted to the hospital. He was discharged a couple of days later, told to follow up with a cardiologist a week later for an echo. Comes back a week later, and the waiting room is filled with people coughing on each other, several of them had no masks. My BIL had one of those off brand, dodgy KN95 respirator.

A week later, he's at home, and started to notice some fever, and a mild cough, and felt dizzy. He checked his O2Sats, and was at 90-91%. He guessed what it could be and went in. COVID-19 was diagnosed on a nasal PCR, and he was admitted for O2 support. His sats kept dropping, and he worsened. They told him that because of his risk factors he had a 85% chance of dying from this, and that they wanted to intubate him. They suggested he have a talk with his family, because he would be sedated and might not be able to speak with them later... Yeah, he had that talk with his kids.

He was extubated three weeks later, and may have had a stroke while in the ICU. He has had ongoing chest pain, joint pain, difficulty walking, and initially had difficulty swallowing too. I don't see him going back to seeing patients in his office, or performing surgery, or C-sections. It's over for him, at least for the time being.

But against all odds, he's alive.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^wow, as Confucius once said, "all men have two lives, you start the second when you realize you only have one". Godspeed on his recovery. I truly hope after the dust settles on this crisis we have learned a few lessons. Your BIL may fall under the description of "TOFI" (thin outside, fat inside).

I preordered this in January before the SHTF. Release date was July 21. Every doctor should have a copy.
Why We Get Sick-Dr. Benjamin Bikman
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone keeps asking how Fauci is still employed.

You do realize he has a vested financial interest in the vaccine?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fauci is a figurehead of a big government agency filled with bureaucrats.

I work in a big company, and part my job is being a global subject matter expert. Go up two or three levels and you will hear cringe-worthy statements from executives that have never actually done the type of work they are now presiding over.

One time, John Kerry as Secretary of State gave a speech standing in front of a project I did in another country as a testament to international cooperation. He got most of the actual details wrong, but spoke with confidence from the script.

I imagine that every time Fauci speaks, his subject matter experts cringe. The man is way past retirement age. They probably spend lots of time briefing him on the script and then he goes off on his own like with the "goggles" statement.

Clearly he has a cushy job with a great salary or he would retire on a fat federal government pension. I do not anticipate working to his age, unless I am retired and working on a high-dollar contract.

His refusal to answer a simple question about the effects of demonstrations and riots on WuFlu transmission prove that he is a political hack who is toeing the far left party line. Did he think Trump would fire him if he said that BLM demonstrations are a transmission risk and should be curtailed? Certainly not. So who is he trying to please if not his boss?

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One time, John Kerry as Secretary of State gave a speech standing in front of a project I did in another country as a testament to international cooperation. He got most of the actual details wrong, but spoke with confidence from the script.

^^^^^^^^^^^
That kind of stuff is always hilarious. It is funny how the members of the media ask the Hospital CEO{a non physician} a clincal question and he answers it with nonsensical remarks.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Yep, and the media is worse. Reporters are not experts on anything. They have no education or experience in the subjects they report on. They just have training and experience in reporting. They are clueless about the real world, and every time they get an assignment they go to ACADEMICS and GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES to get "expert" opinions.

Those of us in the real world know that Academics and Government are also clueless about reality because they do not have to deal with it on a day-to-day basis. Academics and Government employees are not engaged in actual business.

Of course, those of us in business and technology are not allowed by our employers to talk to the press. That is for the equally clueless public relations people that say politically correct things instead of reality.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I think quite a few people are going to be let go. Trump not having to worry about re-election, it will be a sight to see!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It’s getting real… and too close to home.

My sister just named 4 people we know who tested positive.

Refrigerator repair man I know that works at my favorite appliance store just died from Covid.

Brother in laws uncle just died from Covid.

My Daughters significant other (SO) are raising his child together.
SO’s grandfather, already in bad health, high blood pressure and has COPD, just confirmed has the virus. He is at home and refusing to go to the hospital for treatment.

SO’s mom is now showing symptoms as well, is feverish and has been tested, waiting results.

Sunday… Before we knew the grandfather had it… The SO’s mom and Grandfather together babysat the child at their home.

Tuesday… Two days after contact with the now confirmed case my Daughter and the child came to swim at my house. Learning of the exposure just today… I immediately treated the pool with shock. No one else had been in it. Is there anything else I can / need to do?

Edit to add:
My Daughter was not directly exposed to the Grandfather or the SO's mom.

Edit 2: Kid spent the night with them... didn't know that until today... AND he slept in the bed with his Granny, who's test came back positive. Granny has cough and 100deg fever. Kid getting tested today I think is the plan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Just monitor yourself for symptoms. If some develop get tested.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I see Fauci's recommendation for goggle-wearing, my mind immediately brings up images of the episode of "Andy Griffith" where Barney gets a motorcycle and gets himself a set of goggles and gloves. (Maybe if Fauci would start riding a "Hog Honda", he would be a little bit more impressive and believable!

Posts: 1625 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
More insanity from the Daughters employer.

She has been working from home for a few months.'
Her employer has issued a policy on Covid and testing.

OK...
If you get tested, with or without symptoms, you can not work from home until after you get negative results back.

Yes siree, don't want to spread the virus via them daily conference calls. Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Victoria, Australia update.

Half way through the stage 3, 6 week lock down.
We laughed at those who sneaked across the closed State borders.
The party goers.
The KFC birthday dinner run for 20.
The sovereign citizens.
The "Karens".

Cases in Victoria were rapidly rising, with stats at 600-700 positive cases per day.

Deaths were starting to rise. More than anticipated.
Aged care mostly, these places were prisons for the residents.

My aunt Cath, 83 years old.
She tested positive one week ago, and was getting better. Family not allowed to see her.
Zoom is not the same in this situation.

Aunt Cath went rapidly downhill on Thursday night and passed sometime Friday.

Feels a little strange, more personal, knowing someone who has passed due to covid-19.
Condolences to everyone here who has the same experience.

With cases spiking and deaths rising, Victoria's State Premier (similar role to a Governor), declared a state of disaster.
This enables emergency powers and then some.

Stage 4 for 6 weeks.
Started last night.
Health order, wear a mask if outside.

Not to leave the home, except for 4 reasons:
- essential shopping
- work (if you cannot work from home)
- medical care, or to give care
- exercise

Cannot travel more than 5km (about 3 miles) from home address.
Curfew 2000 - 0500.
Police and military (unarmed) patrols in groups.
Road checkpoints - if stopped, name and address to be provided and ascertain why are you out.
Public transport reduced hours.

I'll go for my daily constitutional shortly.
Along the Altona Esplanade, Port Phillip Bay.
This sees me 2km from home. About 1.5 miles.
It's a good walk for sure.
Entertaining for sure.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
OK...
If you get tested, with or without symptoms, you can not work from home until after you get negative results back.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
cjevans, sorry to hear about your Aunt, I lost an elderly cousin, but she was in her 90's, it sucks to lose someone even though it's not that unexpected at that age, even pre-COVID. My condolences.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Thank you, my brother.
And for you and yours.

(source: AAP)

Police on foot patrol
Melbourne's Domain Park.
I think.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, and the media is worse. Reporters are not experts on anything. They have no education or experience in the subjects they report on

Fortunately, people who post on forums don’t have any of those deficiencies!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Ummmmm...I’d say the majority on this forum has the one thing the media lack:

COMMON SENSE

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Yep, and the media is worse. Reporters are not experts on anything. They have no education or experience in the subjects they report on

With two rather important differences....One, no one here is picking up a paycheck to blatantly lie, and two, no one here hates this country.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post