SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Hoping someone can help me out here. I read this afternoon that some liberal (moron) governor had issued an executive order banning doctors from prescribing Chloroquine for Coronavirus patients. Going back now, I can't find the article. Anyone else see this and can point us to a link discussing this item?

If this is true, this is beyond insane.

It took a second to Google: https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/...oronavirus-patients/

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
He banned it's use by doctors, then later said it's OK only if prescribed by doctors. Not sure who's prescribing it for random people, but if it's happening, problem solved.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25...vada-trnd/index.html

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Hoping someone can help me out here. I read this afternoon that some liberal (moron) governor had issued an executive order banning doctors from prescribing Chloroquine for Coronavirus patients. Going back now, I can't find the article. Anyone else see this and can point us to a link discussing this item?

If this is true, this is beyond insane.

It took a second to Google: https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/...oronavirus-patients/
Thanks for the link, not so much the sarcasm.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
He banned it's use by doctors, then later said it's OK only if prescribed by doctors. Not sure who's prescribing it for random people, but if it's happening, problem solved.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25...vada-trnd/index.html
The question Nevadans need to be asking is why this moron is even within 10k feet of this issue. The is a medical decision. End of story.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wow, three weeks time and we went from 169 cases to 69,000 cases and over 1,000 deaths.

Hopefully the next three weeks is better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Drudge says that Trump hater Kathy Griffin might have Covid-19. You know the stupid fuck holding the bloody severed head.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, three weeks time and we went from 169 cases to 69,000 cases and over 1,000 deaths.

Even with discounting for increased "testing", the dead in hard-hit or lagging-sites are a reasonable indicator of things to come.

Happy Easter.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Drudge says that Trump hater Kathy Griffin might have Covid-19. ...

Bye Felica...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure who's prescribing it for random people, but if it's happening, problem solved.

Or, not. Welcome to Jackson.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
But my kid is out of work and can't make his car payment. He asked me for the money. He's 17.
Ouch, I assume whoever cosigned the loan is on the hook then.

That would be his fiscally irresponsible mother. Of course I wasn't consulted when either of my kids bought vehicles that they had to sink every dime they made into. So it is a learning experience for them for sure.

As far as checks for kids I've read that single parent head of household gets it also. But I don't file head of household because I'm a non-custodial parent. But I do claim him on my taxes as a dependent because of our divorce agreement. We will see. If I get the money I'll give it to him, reluctantly. Only reluctantly because he texted me as if it was his money. I don't like my kids having an entitled attitude.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it, but it seems we don't hear much coming out of Russia............any useful information on how they're dealing with it?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, MN Governor Walz showed several graphs as justification for his Stay at Home order. He said "It's too late to flatten the curve". His two graphs showed peaks of infection with or without mitigation efforts. The shape and amplitude of the peaks was identical except one was displaced by a few weeks. This supposedly would give time for supplies and facilities to be in place to increase ICU availability.

WTF? Is he really saying that practicing good hygiene and minimizing social contact has NO effect on the rate of disease transmission? I find that hard to believe.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Yesterday, MN Governor Walz showed several graphs as justification for his Stay at Home order. He said "It's too late to flatten the curve". His two graphs showed peaks of infection with or without mitigation efforts. The shape and amplitude of the peaks was identical except one was displaced by a few weeks. This supposedly would give time for supplies and facilities to be in place to increase ICU availability.

WTF? Is he really saying that practicing good hygiene and minimizing social contact has NO effect on the rate of disease transmission? I find that hard to believe.

From what you describe, it sounds like the graphs said it for him.

Not an excuse not to use proper hygiene and sanitize, naturally. And I’ll hazard a guess: perhaps they feel enough people might have already been unknowingly exposed, that it won’t make a significant difference once we stop the stay at home if it is a 21 day incubation? That’s just a guess.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Graphs are charts are shiny and are more convincing when you are stealing people’s Rights from them and claiming it’s for their own good.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The mayor, council, etc in communist Charlottesville is begging Gov Coonman for a 2 week lockdown.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read this afternoon that some liberal (moron) governor had issued an executive order banning doctors from prescribing Chloroquine for Coronavirus patients.

He can shove that executive order up both his and King George's ass.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ann Coulter had a very good take on this:

HOW DO WE FLATTEN THE CURVE ON PANIC?
By Ann Coulter
March 25, 2020

If, as the evidence suggests, the Chinese virus is enormously dangerous to people with certain medical conditions and those over 70 years old, but a much smaller danger to those under 70, then shutting down the entire country indefinitely is probably a bad idea.

But even when the time is right -- by Easter, June or the fall -- there will be no one to stop the quarantine because the media will continue to hype every coronavirus death, as if these are the only deaths that count and the only deaths that were preventable.

What mayor, governor or president will be willing to take the blame for causing a coronavirus death?

We’ll get no BREAKING NEWS alerts for the regular flu deaths (so far this season, more than 23,000, compared to 533 from the coronavirus).

Nor for the more than 3,000 people who die every day of heart disease or cancer. No alerts for the hundreds who die each day from car accidents, illegal aliens and suicide.

Only coronavirus deaths are considered newsworthy.

We’re told by the “Quarantine Everybody” crowd: Listen to the scientists! Unfortunately, most of the “scientists” they present to us are lawyers. (How did Robert Reich, Donna Shalala and Ron Klain become medical professionals?)

Also, the scientists disagree.

Just as, I assume, they did in 1976, when epidemiologists warned of another 1918 Spanish flu pandemic after a few young Army recruits died of swine flu at Fort Dix in New Jersey. Eight months later, the federal government launched a mandatory swine flu vaccination program.

About a quarter of the country was vaccinated before the program was abruptly shut down. No pandemic had materialized. The virus infected a few people, then vanished. But directly as a result of receiving the vaccine, dozens of Americans died and several hundred acquired Guillain-Barre syndrome.

The scientists also disagreed in the 1980s, when the media and government went into overdrive to scare us all about AIDS. (1985 Life magazine cover: "NOW, NO ONE IS SAFE FROM AIDS.”)

Surgeon General C. Everett Koop -- as revered by the media then as Anthony Fauci is today -- lied about the disease, insisting that “[h]eterosexual persons are increasingly at risk.”

Speaking of which, here’s liberal sex symbol Fauci on AIDS back in 1983, when he was with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, but not yet its director: "As the months go by, we see more and more groups. AIDS is creeping out of well-defined epidemiological confines.” (It didn’t.)

In 1987, Fauci warned that French kissing might transmit the AIDS virus, saying, “Health officials have to presume that it is possible to transmit the virus by exchange of saliva in deep kissing. That presumption is made to be extra safe."

By 1992, after a decade-long epidemic with more than a million infections, the Centers for Disease Control could find only 2,391 cases of AIDS transmission by white heterosexuals -- and that included hemophiliacs and blood transfusion patients. (“White” because AIDS cases among Haitian and African immigrants had a variety of causes.)

But teenagers and sorority girls had to spend years being frightened of kissing lest they catch the AIDS virus, just as today they’re afraid of leaving their homes to avoid a virus that, in Italy, has killed no one under 30 years old and precious few under 50.

We have to be “extra safe.”

Both the No French Kissing rule and Quarantine Everybody rule are perfectly rational positions for an epidemiologist to take. That’s why we need to listen to people other than epidemiologists.

How about the doctors who keep pointing out that the coronavirus is mainly a problem for people over 70 and those with specific health problems? (See here, here, and here.

The president should listen to experts in other fields, too. A country is more than an economy, but it’s also more than a virus.

If we listened only to emergency room doctors, we might come away convinced that we have to completely ban cars, alcohol and gummy bears. (Don’t ask.) While taking a torts class in law school, I was afraid to sit under a chandelier, order a flaming dessert or stand at a train stop.

Playwright Arthur Miller once told a story about a geologist who remarked that life was possible even in the vast American desert. All you needed was water, he said, and the largest reservoir on the globe was located right under the Rockies.

But how would he get it?

Simple -- drop a couple of atomic bombs.

But what about the fallout?

"Oh," said the geologist, "that's not my field."

Today, the epidemiologists are prepared to nuke the entire American economy to kill a virus.

What about the jobs, the suicides, the heart attacks, the lost careers, the destruction of America’s wealth?

Oh, that's not my field.

http://www.anncoulter.com/colu...03-25.html#read_more

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
MNSIG,

thanks for posting about Gov Walz brief

the brief is here:

https://www.facebook.com/GovTi...eos/536202673961023/

very interesting data

The scenario two "smart mitigation" calls for

2 weeks of stay at home
then 3 weeks of physical distancing
then physical distancing for the vulnerable

That is why there is just a delay from no mitigation

MN is trying to buy time to get more ventilators.

MN has 235 ICU beds. They project they will need 6000 ventilators at peak.

They also project peak infected will be 2,400,000

85% of those will not need hospitalization (projection)
5% will need ventilators

still looking at this

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

I watched it live and I know what he is saying the goal is, I just don't agree with the notion that the total infections or the steepness of the curve are unaffected.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post