SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Doesn't the theory of herd immunity rely heavily on certainty of antibodies preventing recurrence over the long term? IOW not just a few weeks or months?

Yes, if immunity is gone after a few weeks or months, herd immunity never really has a chance to build up (unless most people get vaccines every few weeks or something).

That's still a possibility, but I don't think there's any particularly convincing evidence that it is the case. Several of the studies that have been referenced as suggesting that only suggest it as a result of wild misinterpretation of what the study actually says and means.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you mean when you say formatting , now.

Where as I have a hard time reading tightly configured paragraphs,

Especially on the Android phone,

You have difficulty with
proccesing my spaced out version of the same words.

I gotta go figure out how I can remedy this.
Give me some time.

B.t.w.
I took no offence ,
No oatmeal got whizzed on.

As long as we are expressing
Disconcerting posting practices,
I disagree
with extensive post script tag lines, anything more than 5 lines , (to me)
Is a book, not a sentiment.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
"No oatmeal got whizzed on."

That would make an awesome CUT Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Even if 50 million people in the US have already had it, that probably isn't enough for meaningful herd immunity (but would be solid evidence that we probably aren't going to end up with a healthcare crisis).
But that's kind of the point I was trying to make. We have no idea how many people have encountered the bug, but we do know its a big number, and the spread is continuing. However, at the same time, the death rates are going down and the hospitalization rates are either going down or staying well within manageable levels. As such, more lockdown and restrictions BS is not where we should be headed. As has been discussed ad nauseum, maintain protections for at risk groups (we know who they are at this point), while letting everyone else get back to normal. Will that cause the virus to spread? Of course it will, but its already spreading as we speak without collapsing the system. If hospitalizations start to spike up significantly, curtail some aspects to try and mitigate the impact on hospitals. That's logical, rational, and science/data based. The BS we have in place right now bears no resemblance to science, data, or logic. Just dumbass politicians mucking up everything, while enjoying their new ill gotten powers, and making everyone's lives worse.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I'd bet millions...MILLIONS...of people in this country got some form of the VID at some point (myself included) and now possess the antibodies. My tennis partner told me her son, from New York, was tested and has the antibodies, but never tested positive for the VID. This whole "shut down the economy" and "shelter in place" mentality is total crap. Lina Hidalgo (Harris County, TX "judge"**) is a worthless, idiotic, moronic piece of human waste (might not even be human). But most of y'all probably already knew my POV...

** Texas really needs to come up with a new term for that position. Labeling that position as "County Judge", which requires the occupant to have ZERO background or knowledge whatsoever in "the law", gives that person a certain sense of ostentatious, corruptible, tyrannical power. And we're witnessing that right before our very eyes...
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
As long as we are expressing
Disconcerting posting practices,
I disagree
with extensive post script tag lines, anything more than 5 lines , (to me)
Is a book, not a sentiment.
LOL!! Big Grin I trust that's a joke, because your signature line is actually comprised of more lines (returns) than mine. Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Erj.
Teach me about counting lines of text,
I count
four lines , at the end of mine and two paragraphs on yours.

Makes me wonder if different
Screens on different devices appear
. .... . Differently

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Under the what is old is new again column, here's some great mask ideas from way back on Jan. 30 of this thread:

quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
custom mask ideas...

I'd go with the fruit scented, rather than the others. Still wondering about the breath-ability of orange peel...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/30/...sks-from-fruit-bras/

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Erj.
Teach me about counting lines of text,
I count
four lines , at the end of mine and two paragraphs on yours.

Makes me wonder if different
Screens on different devices appear
. .... . Differently
I believe you're on to something...it must be the different viewing device we're using. I'm using a 22" LCD monitor. Your signature on my screen, despite the sayings being short, comprises 6 lines as follows:

My signature, while stretching all the way across the screen, only takes up 3 total lines:
rejected the law...

________ = the HR divider

Hope that helps to dispel the mystery...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And ye cabinne fevre, ytt rageth on.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Aussie update:

Victoria (the State) has recorded 75 new cases of coronavirus - the state’s biggest daily figure since March 31.

• 1 from hotel quarantine
• 14 linked to outbreak
• 37 detected through routine testing
• 23 under investigation

The cases detected from routine testing is from people who go into to be tested.

The cases that are under investigation mean authorities are unsure how the person caught the virus and where it is linked from.

Health minister Jenny Mikakos said on Monday morning that the state now had 2099 confirmed coronavirus cases.

“We have six new cases believed to be community transmission, taking that to a total of 271, and there are currently 288 active cases in Victoria.

“Nine people in hospital, one in intensive care. 1789 people who have recovered, and we now have exceeded 792,000 tests undertaken and more than 15,000 since yesterday.”

Victoria has conducted 53,000 tests since the suburban coronavirus testing blitz started last week.

Australia stats

Total cases: 7,686
Total deaths: 104
Cases recovered: 6,993
Total test: 2,379,175
Positive: 0.3%

ICU: 1
Hospitalised: 11

Interestingly in Aus, the 20-36 age demographic, leads the number of cases, with females higher than males.

Health.gov.au link

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:

<snip>

Do you hit 'enter' when you come to the end of a line on *your* phone screen as you're typing? Do you know you don't have to? You seem to be putting in "carriage returns" very frequently.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:

<snip>

Do you hit 'enter' when you come to the end of a line on *your* phone screen as you're typing? Do you know you don't have to? You seem to be putting in "carriage returns" very frequently.

This is what happens,
as you press enter,
after each comma,
i pressed enter,
thus the lines end,
at the point you enter,

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I ran into my first COVID Karen today.... Roll Eyes

I'm at the local Kroger, just finished my quick lunch time Monday shopping. I jump in line behind an older lady, staying on the divisions noted on the floor. She walks around the front of her cart to unload it so I move up a bit so I'm not blocking the aisle. Of course I'm in a mask as required by state law, as is she.

She looks up and me, and in a raspy, condescending tone says " would you PLEASE stay six feet away from me?"

I said (cashier eagerly awaiting my response) "Lady, we ARE six feet apart, in fact we're ten feet apart given the two 4' carts between us and the 2' between them" .

'Karen' glared at me and made some comment about making sure. The cashier in her attempt to not be obvious with her laughing actually dislodged her mask.

Once she was gone I was advised she does that every day she comes in. I responded that she is probably on the board of a local HOA and had no hanging plants to cut down today.

Some people just have to be pain whenever they go...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
bendable

is not

mendable

love him

as

he is

Burma Shave

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ran into my first COVID Karen today....

You should go up north. I haven't run into a single COVID Karen and I have not worn a mask once.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I've seen two videos of women pitching an absolute hissy fit in grocery stores. In both cases it seems each came in wearing a mask but then took it off. Then the temper tantrum came, cussing and yelling and removing the grocery items from the cart and throwing them on the floor.

It's an embarrassment to see grown adults pitching such a terrible temper tantrum hissy fit.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what all the fuss is about - Fauci just announced that a miracle vaccine will be ready as soon as the election is over.

Of course, we all know that he has no financial interests in this vaccine......

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Fucktardians all of them, Seminole County issues public mask requirement, the inmates are clearly taking over.

Regardless of ones proclivity to wear a mask, others shouldn't be forced to stay home or comply, it should be the other way around, go out with out a mask or wear one if you want, or stay the fuck inside your home if you are scared of COVID...

https://www.wesh.com/article/s...ask-mandate/33002035

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
I ran into my first COVID Karen today....

You should go up north. I haven't run into a single COVID Karen and I have not worn a mask once.

In 2 days..... Cool

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Today at the hardware store and grocery store, more people in northern AZ were wearing masks*. More state wide testing is revealing more crud-19 positives (not necessarily hospitalizations). I do not wear a mask. They just glared at me, but said nothing. I was prepared to tell them that I just got the new vaccine, so mind your own business. Razz

At the vet this week a vet tech was actually having trouble breathing because she's required to wear a mask. When we asked if she was ok, she said that she has a pulmonary condition and is on meds, but needs the job.

*Northern AZ has no requirements to wear a mask like the 'valley of the damned' Phoenix. 110 degrees and being required to wear a mask is just asking for issues not even considered by the politicians.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post