SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The Wuhan Weapons Lab doesn't need our $ - they have an unlimited bank in Bill Gates.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
The Wuhan Weapons Lab doesn't need our $ - they have an unlimited bank in Bill Gates.

From what I've read, that fucking lab is responsible for all this shit. All indications are intentional or unintentional. Either way, fuck that place!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Moving the goalposts again! Smile

Now it's 3 shots and 2 masks - and the mask wearing is required even after everyone is vaccinated.

Next it will be 3 masks and weekly injections for life Roll Eyes

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/ne...ird-shot-bill-gates/

Third shot may be needed to combat new coronavirus variants, Bill Gates says

A third dose of coronavirus vaccine may be needed to prevent serious cases of new variants of the disease, Bill Gates said Tuesday. The billionaire philanthropist's comments come amid to the growing concern that current vaccines are less effective against the South African and Brazilian variants.

"The discussion now is do we just need to get a super high coverage of the current vaccine, or do we need a third dose that's just the same, or do we need a modified vaccine?" Gates told "CBS Evening News" anchor and managing editor Norah O'Donnell.

"All five of the companies that have U.S. vaccines are looking at making that modification and adding that in so that people who've already had two shots might need to get a third shot," he said. "I think it's reasonably likely that we will have a tuned vaccine just to make absolutely sure that as these variants hit the U.S. that they're not escaping from vaccine protection."

Gates is funding studies in South Africa to determine whether the AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Novavax vaccines were as effective against the more contagious variant.

"AstraZeneca in particular has a challenge with the variant. And the other two, Johnson & Johnson and Novavax, are slightly less effective, but still effective enough that we absolutely should get them out as fast as we can while we study this idea of tuning the vaccine," Gates said.

If the coronavirus is not eradicated, he said, additional shots may be necessary in the future. "Probably not yearly, but as long as it's out there, we want as many Americans as possible not to be spreading it to each other," he said.

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the former head of the Food and Drug Administration, told CBS News' "Face the Nation" on February 7 that he believed the vaccines currently being distributed in the U.S. would offer "reasonable protection" against the new variants, even if they are less effective against the new strains. Still, he said, it may also be necessary to administer booster shots in the fall.
When did Gates get his medical degree with a specialty in infectious disease? What's next. I get my investment advise from the guys who pick up my garbage. Gates can STFU and go away.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A couple of good-new items in today's Wall Street Journal:

quote:
The Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE generates robust immunity after one dose and can be stored in ordinary freezers instead of at ultracold temperatures, according to new research and data released by the companies.

Link

The findings provide strong arguments in favor of delaying the second dose of the two-shot vaccine, as the U.K. has done. They could also have substantial implications on vaccine policy and distribution around the world, simplifying the logistics of distributing the vaccine.

A single shot of the vaccine is 85% effective in preventing symptomatic disease 15 to 28 days after being administered, according to a peer-reviewed study conducted by the Israeli government-owned Sheba Medical Center and published in the Lancet medical journal. Pfizer and BioNTech recommend that a second dose is administered 21 days after the first.

The finding is a vindication of the approach taken by the U.K. government to delay a second dose by up to 12 weeks so it could use limited supplies to deliver a single dose to more people, and could encourage others to follow suit. Almost one-third of the U.K.’s adult population has now received at least one vaccine shot. Other authorities in parts of Canada and Europe have prioritized an initial shot, hoping they will have enough doses for a booster when needed.

Preliminary data also suggest that the other widely used vaccine in the U.K. developed by AstraZeneca PLC and the University of Oxford could have a substantial effect after a first dose.

The Israeli findings came from the first real-world data about the effect of the vaccine gathered outside of clinical trials in one of the leading nations in immunization against the coronavirus. Israel has given the first shot to 4.2 million people—more than two-thirds of eligible citizens over 16 years old—and a second shot to 2.8 million, according to its health ministry. The country has around 9.3 million citizens.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
And here's the other good news (actually from yesterday), an op-ed piece by Dr. Marty Makary of Johns Hopkins, who has been on Tucker quite a bit.

Title of the piece is " We'll have herd immunity by April".

I've been following the covid tracking.com data on cases and hospitalizations in California and nationally, and the decline in both is amazing. New cases in CA have dropped from 40,000 to 10,000 in about a month; current hospitalizations from about 23,000 to 10,000. New deaths, a lagging indicator, is also trending downward, from almost 600 to 400 in about two weeks.

I agree with Makary's analysis: we are on our way out of this, don't let the doomsaying bureaucrats keep us locked down and afraid!

quote:
Amid the dire Covid warnings, one crucial fact has been largely ignored: Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks. If a medication slashed cases by 77%, we’d call it a miracle pill. Why is the number of cases plummeting much faster than experts predicted?

In large part because natural immunity from prior infection is far more common than can be measured by testing. Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.

Now add people getting vaccinated. As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.

There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection. As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.

Antibody studies almost certainly underestimate natural immunity. Antibody testing doesn’t capture antigen-specific T-cells, which develop “memory” once they are activated by the virus. Survivors of the 1918 Spanish flu were found in 2008—90 years later—to have memory cells still able to produce neutralizing antibodies.

Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute found that the percentage of people mounting a T-cell response after mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infection consistently exceeded the percentage with detectable antibodies. T-cell immunity was even present in people who were exposed to infected family members but never developed symptoms. A group of U.K. scientists in September pointed out that the medical community may be under-appreciating the prevalence of immunity from activated T-cells.

Link

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Articles like these can be construed to mean a lot of things.

On the second one. How long has it been since this admin. has been seated? Hmmmmm

On the first one. There is so much they do not know obviously. Every day there are more revelations. It will be so interesting to look back 15 years from now to see what the truth was.

This ain't it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Report: Biden Administration Is Teaming Up with Big Tech to Censor Vaccine Skeptics

What are the afraid of? Free and Open debate?

https://www.breitbart.com/tech...or-vaccine-skeptics/

The Biden administration is working with Facebook, Google, and Twitter to target “COVID misinformation” and overcome “vaccine hesitancy,” according to senior officials in the administration who spoke to Reuters.

Via Reuters:

The White House’s direct engagement with the companies to mitigate the challenge has not been previously reported. Biden’s chief of staff Ron Klain has previously said the administration will try to work with Silicon Valley on the issue.

“Disinformation that causes vaccine hesitancy is going to be a huge obstacle to getting everyone vaccinated and there are no larger players in that than the social media platforms,” said the source, who has direct knowledge of the White House’s efforts.

“We are talking to them … so they understand the importance of misinformation and disinformation and how they can get rid of it quickly.”
The Biden White House is especially trying to make sure such material “does not start trending on such platforms and become a broader movement,” the source said.

A spokesperson from Facebook confirmed that the company proactively reached out to the Biden White House to offer “any assistance we can provide.” A Twitter spokesperson said that the company is “in regular communication with the White House on a number of critical issues including COVID-19 misinformation.”

The government source who spoke to Reuters confirmed that the tech companies were “receptive” to requests for more censorship of “misinformation,” and promised further updates on the Biden administration’s censorship efforts “within the next ten days or so.”

According to Reuters, the source pointed to a recent anti-vaccine protest at L.A’s Dodgers Stadium as an example of events that the administration wanted to prevent from happening in the future.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Not to drift this thread but to the Florida members, you do not have a mask mandate (I think). What percentage voluntarily wears masks out and about? What about businesses requiring them? We like to vacation at Daytona but if I have to wear a mask everywhere I go I will just stay home. And according to the DB website they are required there.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
If a business requires a mask, I wear them. Not that big a deal but for the most part if you are outside no one wears them. Occasionally you will see someone wearing one in a car by themselves, which I find hilarious!

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Not to drift this thread but to the Florida members, you do not have a mask mandate (I think). What percentage voluntarily wears masks out and about? What about businesses requiring them? We like to vacation at Daytona but if I have to wear a mask everywhere I go I will just stay home. And according to the DB website they are required there.

Personally I do not wear a mask period. If someone at a business, which they haven't, asks me to put one on I would just politely leave.

Winn Dixie and Public's are good metrics for what the general population is doing. The store employees are all masked up; however I would accurately estimate, (because I sincerely try to count), 30% of the patrons are not wearing masks.

Bars are kind of interesting. There are two near me that are only a mile or so apart. One is privately owned and requires the waiting staff to wear masks (not the bartenders) while the other is a franchise wing place and none of the staff wear masks. Meanwhile, none of the patrons are even walking in with a mask on.

I routinely travel to GA, IN, TX, etc. Overall I don't see much of a difference in how many and who are wearing them. Now if we are talking upstate-western NY where the population has been fed non-stop doom and gloom the mask wearing is out of control. I was recently visiting my father and had cousins who should now better wearing masks inside his house.

Now regarding your question about Daytona. I think what you will find it a mixed bag of who is enforcing it and who isn't. Since tourism is a large part of FL's economy I think the more "tourist" the area you are in the more lax it will be.

Another example would be St. Augustine the city itself (big tourist destination). I drove around the city last weekend (looking for a parking place) and it was probably 60% wearing 40% not. Although it appeared everyone on the tour trolleys was forced to wear one.

Hope it helps.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
If a business requires a mask, I wear them. Not that big a deal but for the most part if you are outside no one wears them. Occasionally you will see someone wearing one in a car by themselves, which I find hilarious!

When I see someone in a car wearing a mask I don’t need a bumper sticker to tell me how that person voted.

I see it all the time here in Tucson and I really have a hard time believing that so many people can be so stupid.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I live in the FL panhandle. I quit wearing a mask unless I’m working because my employer requires it. When maskless, I’ve never been asked to put one on or asked to leave. No one has ever said a word to me.

The only way this ends is if we cease compiling. I’ve decided not to fight at work, and am simply not putting on a mask when not working.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
And here's the other good news (actually from yesterday), an op-ed piece by Dr. Marty Makary of Johns Hopkins, who has been on Tucker quite a bit.

Title of the piece is " We'll have herd immunity by April".

I've been following the covid tracking.com data on cases and hospitalizations in California and nationally, and the decline in both is amazing. New cases in CA have dropped from 40,000 to 10,000 in about a month; current hospitalizations from about 23,000 to 10,000. New deaths, a lagging indicator, is also trending downward, from almost 600 to 400 in about two weeks.

I agree with Makary's analysis: we are on our way out of this, don't let the doomsaying bureaucrats keep us locked down and afraid!

quote:
Amid the dire Covid warnings, one crucial fact has been largely ignored: Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks. If a medication slashed cases by 77%, we’d call it a miracle pill. Why is the number of cases plummeting much faster than experts predicted?

In large part because natural immunity from prior infection is far more common than can be measured by testing. Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.

Now add people getting vaccinated. As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.

There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection. As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.

Antibody studies almost certainly underestimate natural immunity. Antibody testing doesn’t capture antigen-specific T-cells, which develop “memory” once they are activated by the virus. Survivors of the 1918 Spanish flu were found in 2008—90 years later—to have memory cells still able to produce neutralizing antibodies.

Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute found that the percentage of people mounting a T-cell response after mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infection consistently exceeded the percentage with detectable antibodies. T-cell immunity was even present in people who were exposed to infected family members but never developed symptoms. A group of U.K. scientists in September pointed out that the medical community may be under-appreciating the prevalence of immunity from activated T-cells.

Link

We've been out of it for a while. The decline comes from changing the definitions of positive cases. Anything was Covid while Trump was in office. Now, you must test positive TWICE before they will report the case.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
When I see someone in a car wearing a mask I don’t need a bumper sticker to tell me how that person voted.

I see it all the time here in Tucson and I really have a hard time believing that so many people can be so stupid.

I actually saw someone driving around alone in a car with a mask on..... it was a convertible and he had the top down. I saw him put the top down in the parking lot before he drove off. Good grief, the stupidity of it astounds me. If you're so terrified that you wear a mask while driving alone, why is the top down?

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

House Speaker Nancy wants to give federal employees a $1400 check for 15 weeks so they can homeschool their children. Parents who don't work for the federal government, but pay the taxes that fund their salaries, are out of luck.

a $1.9 trillion Wuhan coronavirus "relief" bill that has little to do with actual relief. Instead, the monstrous legislation focuses on political payouts and pet projects.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

now a standard trick by the DEMs

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do Federal Employees children require homeschooling? Aren't all the schools re-opened?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Why do Federal employees need this? My wife kept working. Everyone in her office kept working. All my civil service friends kept working. Military friends kept working.

WTH?

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
A lone Congressman, Glenn Grothman, R-Wis., has introduced a resolution, would require that the House of Representatives:

Recognizes the benefits of vitamin D intake for preventing respiratory infections
Recognizes the benefits of vitamin D for improved immune health
Recognizes the correlation between vitamin D deficiencies and poor COVID-19 outcomes, including hospital stays, admittance and mortality
Encourages the CDC to update existing guidance and issue new guidance on vitamin D during the COVID-19 pandemic

Grothman submitted the resolution February 11, 2021, with no co-sponsors so far. The resolution has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Aren't all the schools re-opened?

Uhhh, no. Not even close.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wtf? Imagine that weird asshole walking in as you're about to get a shot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post