SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5XkhUKMDM[/url]

Pretty good. Around 50:00 they start to peel the onion back regarding individual hygiene and how societal practices & standards, or, lack thereof, are major contributors to this and other outbreaks. You can tell, they've gotten into it with people in China, and they get perceived as being cultural bigots, insensitive to the country. Unfortunately, China suffers the worst from their own history. Hard-wired to continue to do things they way they've always done it, no need to change.

Nevermind that other SE Asian countries don't have problems like China as, they've evolved and learned. Washing hands, not spitting, covering one's mouth if sneezing or, coughing, basic concepts that surely seem foreign for mainland Chinese. The marketings and the lack of standards falls squarely on the govt, Singapore 30-years ago cracked-down on open air markets as various sicknesses were becoming too common and attributed to the open-air markets that didn't follow basic health standards. Decades later, no more issues. They point-out in Vietnam how washing hands was very common, soap wasn't a rarity.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't even know where people get the commonly referenced fact that 60,000 good folks die of the flu each and every year.

This requires no special talent or knowledge. It’s straight from the CDC website. 2019 flu deaths were approximately 57,300. World wide, there were about 646,000.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
1-30-20

The Southern Nevada Health District announced today it has received a report of a potential case of Coronavirus in a Clark County resident. The patient is currently in isolation at a Las Vegas hospital. The patient will be monitored and under medical supervision while testing is conducted by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.) Currently, there are no confirmed cases of the 2019 Coronavirus in Clark County.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m not ready to do more than the same precautions I would for flu, but find it add that they’re trying to rush a vaccine in record time for something that isn’t supposed to be a big deal. I suspect money is the chief reason.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good new from the Johns Hopkins chart today is that the identified hot spots in USA, there are five of them, are not expanding!

That is comforting...

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2081 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’m not ready to do more than the same precautions I would for flu, but find it add that they’re trying to rush a vaccine in record time for something that isn’t supposed to be a big deal. I suspect money is the chief reason.

It's also good practice and a learning opportunity for the next time when it might be the killer bug.

It's like getting ready for a hurricane. Even if the hurricane doesn't hit you, it was good practice. It's also a learning experience. I learned I had some anchors for my hurricane shutters that were loose.

Another time, we had a power outage. I figured I'd go get my generator. I learned that the gate for our subdivision didn't have a battery backup, but could be released with a 10mm socket. That took me 10 minutes to figure out before I could leave the subdivision. Also if the power is out, the garage door opener for the garage door doesn't work and I need to have the key with me. That wasted another 35 minutes, but I now have the key in my truck. By the time I got the generator to the house, the power was back on, but it was a good learning experience.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Trapped in a Zombie Cruise Ship

Then they loose contact with the ship and days later it drifts into a port amongst fog and eerie music.
Sounds like a good intro to a horror flick. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Trapped in a Zombie Cruise Ship

It's a floating prison. It's why I have no desire to go on a cruise.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
custom mask ideas...

I'd go with the fruit scented, rather than the others. Still wondering about the breath-ability of orange peel...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/30/...sks-from-fruit-bras/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some creativity on display

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
some creativity on display

Oh yeah? (and no, this is NOT from Babylon Bee Big Grin )

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

A: lime disease.

Scurvy?? Big Grin

Allergy to margaritas....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Q: you know what’s worse than the corona virus?

A: lime disease.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I see many times in such threads the discussion of "the latest panicdemic vs. da floo".

Yes the flu kills more people per year than any of these media love bugs, however, the ensuing fear is much like "automotive transportation vs aviation transportation".

More people die in vehicle crashes than they do in aircraft crashes, (2000 times more likely to die) yet consider the SUV and other high CG, short wheelbase vehicles are prone to rollover, and the 737MAX will fall out of the sky like iguanas in a Florida cold snap.

Hype, the (unreasonable)fear of "not being in control (real or imagined), and the "largeness" of each aircraft crash shown multiple times, often for weeks, compared to the short vehicle crash that we often only hear of when it affects another, or if we happen to "drive past".

Yet, even though most people have more direct personal experience with vehicle crash, than aircraft crash, the fear is greater of the latter.

Much the same as with this virus.

Most people "drive themselves" and rely on their skill to avoid death or injury on the road, while we rely on other's to protect us from most illnesses that we know as communicable diseases.
(the point being that we cannot control the hygiene and habits of others, and trust the healthcare system for vaccine and other endeavors).

But the comparison would not be complete if I did not include that in spite of all that "logic", we know that vehicles will not one day start driving into trees, head on into one another, rolling over, running over pedestrians or suddenly and rapidly reach a state of being that makes every time we encounter a vehicle a likelihood of death.

Although the thought of a new horror flick is enticing.
AutoZombies!!! Is it the fuel, or that new air freshener?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You can get 100 pounds of rice and beans from Sams club for about $50. Might be the best $50 you ever spent, if things go south.

In China the stores are closed or empty. The trucks are not running. The work force are not replenishing or making replacement supplies. Now imagine that in any town USA...

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good discussion, sigmonkey.

There are many similarities between something like an epidemic and active killer events. Even at this stage of the disease’s spread, the chance of being killed or injured by either the disease or an active killer in this country is infinitesimal, but the perception of that is far different. Other similarities are that they attract a high level of news business attention and the more efforts are made to prevent or mitigate their effects, the greater the perception of danger grows. The last is of course ironic because the better and more effective the prevention, the greater the fear. (To a certain point; sooner or later people stop paying attention to things that don’t affect them personally.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Pre-print research showing coronavirus has HIV inserts was posted today, but China started trying out HIV drugs on it last week?

Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag

Prashant Pradhan, Ashutosh Kumar Pandey, Akhilesh Mishra, Parul Gupta, Praveen Kumar Tripathi, Manoj Balakrishna Menon, James Gomes, Perumal Vivekanandan, Bishwajit Kundu
doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871

Abstract
We are currently witnessing a major epidemic caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019- nCoV). The evolution of 2019-nCoV remains elusive. We found 4 insertions in the spike glycoprotein (S) which are unique to the 2019-nCoV and are not present in other coronaviruses. Importantly, amino acid residues in all the 4 inserts have identity or similarity to those in the HIV-1 gp120 or HIV-1 Gag. Interestingly, despite the inserts being discontinuous on the primary amino acid sequence, 3D-modelling of the 2019-nCoV suggests that they converge to constitute the receptor binding site. The finding of 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV, all of which have identity /similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature. This work provides yet unknown insights on 2019-nCoV and sheds light on the evolution and pathogenicity of this virus with important implications for diagnosis of this virus.

https://www.biorxiv.org/conten.../2020.01.30.927871v1

and this: China testing HIV drug as treatment for new coronavirus, AbbVie says

China is testing an HIV drug as a treatment for symptoms of the new coronavirus that is rapidly spreading, said drugmaker AbbVie Inc on Sunday. China health authorities requested the drug to help with the government’s efforts to address the crisis, according to Adelle Infante, a spokeswoman for North Chicago, Illinois-based AbbVie.

Aluvia, which is also known as Kaletra, is a combination of lopinavir and ritonavir. In guidance published on Thursday, the government said there is no effective anti-virus medicine but suggested taking two lopinavir/ritonavir pills and inhaling a dose of nebulized alpha-interferon twice a day.

Health authorities around the world are racing to prevent a pandemic after more than 2,000 people were infected in China and 56 have died after contracting the virus.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...e-says-idUSKBN1ZP0QK

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although the thought of a new horror flick is enticing.
AutoZombies!!! Is it the fuel, or that new air freshener?

I thought it was radiation from a passing comet (Para's Comet?), but that's so 1986 I guess.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post