SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 ... 1208
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
We just can't trust WHO anymore

Anymore? I am not sure the WHO has ever been a trustworthy organization.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The WHO changed it's stance...it was a "misunderstanding"...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/a...tic-cases-scientists

It reminds me of a game show "Who Do You Trust?"

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this is one crazy story

https://www.statnews.com/2020/...s-in-scandal-emerge/

Researcher involved in retracted Lancet study has faculty appointment terminated, as details in scandal emerge

The University of Utah has “mutually agreed” to terminate the faculty appointment of Amit Patel, who was among the authors of two retracted papers on Covid-19 and who appears to have played a key role in involving a little-known company that has ignited a firestorm of controversy.

“The terminated position was an unpaid adjunct appointment with the Department of Biomedical Engineering,” a university spokesperson told STAT. Patel had listed the affiliation on both papers, published in the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine. The spokesperson declined to comment on whether the decision was related to the retractions.

The Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine both announced the retraction of papers on which Patel was a co-author within hours on Thursday. The paper in the Lancet, in particular, received widespread attention because it raised safety concerns about the drug hydroxychloroquine based on what was purported to be a huge amount of data collected from health records from hundreds of hospitals all around the world.

Among other consequences of the paper, the World Health Organization paused enrollment of part of a clinical trial meant to test the drug.

The lead author was Mandeep Mehra, the medical director of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Heart and Vascular Center and editor-in-chief of The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. Along with his co-authors, he had received the data from a small company known as Surgisphere , run by CEO Sapan Desai.

How did Mehra meet Desai, and become connected to Surgisphere? “Dr. Patel introduced them,” a spokesperson for the Brigham told STAT. The spokesperson said Mehra knew Patel “through academic and medical circles.”

In his tweets on Sunday, Patel said that he was related to Dr. Desai by marriage. “That’s old news,” he wrote. “Many people from the Brigham were at that wedding, and media knew about it.” The bigger story, he wrote, was that despite requests from other authors for data, he does not have information from Surgisphere, he wrote. On Friday, STAT had asked Mehra if Patel and Desai were brothers-in-law. “Dr. Mehra indicated that he learned of that relationship today,” Mehra’s spokesperson said.

After independent researchers raised questions about the papers, Surgisphere issued a statement defending its work. Both the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine reviewed the papers, and then issued expressions of concern. The retractions were issued after Surgisphere said it could not share its data with an independent institute Mehra had contacted to audit the data.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Who is Surgisphere ?

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...n-hydroxychloroquine

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.

Data it claims to have legitimately obtained from more than a thousand hospitals worldwide formed the basis of scientific articles that have led to changes in Covid-19 treatment policies in Latin American countries. It was also behind a decision by the WHO and research institutes around the world to halt trials of the controversial drug hydroxychloroquine. On Wednesday, the WHO announced those trials would now resume.

A search of publicly available material suggests several of Surgisphere’s employees have little or no data or scientific background. An employee listed as a science editor appears to be a science fiction author and fantasy artist whose professional profile suggests writing is her fulltime job. Another employee listed as a marketing executive is an adult model and events hostess, who also acts in videos for organisations.

The company’s LinkedIn page has fewer than 100 followers and last week listed just six employees. This was changed to three employees as of Wednesday.

While Surgisphere claims to run one of the largest and fastest hospital databases in the world, it has almost no online presence. Its Twitter handle has fewer than 170 followers, with no posts between October 2017 and March 2020.

Until Monday, the “get in touch” link on Surgisphere’s homepage redirected to a WordPress template for a cryptocurrency website, raising questions about how hospitals could easily contact the company to join its database.

Desai has been named in three medical malpractice suits, unrelated to the Surgisphere database. In an interview with the Scientist, Desai previously described the allegations as “unfounded”.

In 2008, Desai launched a crowdfunding campaign on the website Indiegogo promoting a wearable “next generation human augmentation device that can help you achieve what you never thought was possible”. The device never came to fruition.

Posts: 19608 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The "WHO" has changed its name to "HUH?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The "WHO" has changed its name to "HUH?"
I heard it was "DUH". Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is that I won't get fooled again.... Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
At least it only took a couple of weeks to debunk this BS story and unmask this con man posing as a medical professional.

These libtard virtue-signaling a-holes were so quick to try and stick a finger in Trump's eye over hydroxychloroquine and stopped clinical based on 1 unsubstantiated paper! Looks like the trials are back on thankfully.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
the 'dossier' all over again...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Arrived at my dental appointment. I just saw man and woman go by on a Harley.
No helmet, jacket, gloves or even long pants, but by George, surgical masks.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ Haha, perfect.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I saw a jogger outside on a road all by herself wearing a mask

I see the bikers wearing masks

but it never fails to bring a smile to my face when I see someone driving a car wearing a mask

I am working under the assumption that the common thread between all of them is that they have IQ's slightly less than their pulse rate

Posts: 53243 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I love it when they are wearing masks with their noses sticking out above the masks.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I love it when they are wearing masks with their noses sticking out above the masks.

There was plenty of that visible during the protests/riots/memorial services. As if a cloth mask isn't useless enough already.

Posts: 8965 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I saw a jogger outside on a road all by herself wearing a mask

I see the bikers wearing masks

but it never fails to bring a smile to my face when I see someone driving a car wearing a mask

I am working under the assumption that the common thread between all of them is that they have IQ's slightly less than their pulse rate

If by bikers, you mean bicyclists, then bikers and joggers would have IQs in the top 2%.

Posts: 11033 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bet that if you ask the CURRENT mask wearers, 85+ % believe that the masks that they wear protect THEM......not others!!! Just because the information says different, they just don't believe it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

If by bikers, you mean bicyclists, then bikers and joggers would have IQs in the top 2%.

He's obviously referring to a resting pulse rate.

quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I would bet that if you ask the CURRENT mask wearers, 85+ % believe that the masks that they wear protect THEM......not others!!! Just because the information says different, they just don't believe it.

The only thing the Borg (the mask wearers) are protecting is a narrative.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

True to my understanding: masks are best at keeping an infected person from spreading, more than protecting an uninfected person from catching.

FYI-- everyone wearing masks with those valve/ventilators in them are spreading their germs every time they exhale. Those ONLY prevent contaminants from getting in, not getting out. They're not approved for any medical/health applications.

AZ is making the news for our spike in cases. Glad I have two acres to live on. Worse case I'll go hide out in my Bisbee place.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Because AZ is testing much more may be the reason for the 'spike'...

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Because AZ is testing much more may be the reason for the 'spike'...

Right, or there actually may be more cases as people relax.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post