SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
As predicted by President Trump and many other sane people
--------------------------------

CA Doctors Say They Have Seen More Suicide Deaths Than COVID Deaths During Lockdown

Two weeks to flatten the curve has turned into two months of oppressive lockdown policies which are themselves killing Americans.

Americans, more or less, entered into an unspoken contract with government — and each other — in the middle of March in a pledge to stay home, avoid others and close up shop to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

We’re a little more than a week away from the start of June, and some people are still being forced to stay in their homes because of a government decree, or because they feel obligated to do so by pressure from peers, or because of the fear being pushed on them by a media which has exacerbated the crisis.

Governments told us that stay-at-home orders were necessary to stop the spread of the disease and to buy the country’s health care industry precious time to prepare for a sea of patients that, in some areas, never came.

Americans did their part, but stalwart governments refuse to lessen or do away with draconian lockdown measures.

And the mental health toll that these lockdowns are having on some Americans is starting to reveal itself.

In the San Francisco Bay area, it appears suicides and suicide attempts are increasing at an alarming rate.

In fact, the trauma department chief at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, which is located just north and east of the cities of Berkeley and Oakland, told KGO-TV this week that during the lockdown, doctors at the facility have seen seen more deaths by suicide than from the coronavirus.

The mental health crisis is so severe that Dr. Mike deBoisblanc says it’s time to end the area’s lockdown.

“Personally I think it’s time,” deBoisblanc told KGO-TV. “I think, originally, this [the shelter-in-place order] was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients. We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering.”

“We’ve never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time,” the doctor added. “I mean we’ve seen a year’s worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks.”

A trauma nurse with 33 years of service at the facility echoed his comments.

“What I have seen recently, I have never seen before,” Kacey Hansen said. “I have never seen so much intentional injury.”

The answer, at least from deBoisblanc’s employer, is increased mental health awareness and resources.

The administrators at the John Muir Medical Center added a nice disclaimer in response to the statements of their staff members that the facility remains “supportive of the Shelter-in-Place order.”

Out of an apparent abundance of caution, the facility wants us to know that deBoisblanc and Hansen are only speaking for themselves.

But the pair of health care workers can only speak to what they are seeing, and that is that lockdown orders — at least in the area that these professionals serve — are doing more harm than good.

Yet Politico touted the Bay Area’s response to the crisis before March had even ended in a story titled: “Bend it like the Bay Area. Doctors see flatter curve after 2 weeks of social isolation.”

“Six Bay Area counties were first in the country to adopt aggressive tactics with an enforceable March 16 order requiring residents to stay at home. Gov. Gavin Newsom quickly followed with a statewide order three days later restricting the state’s 40 million residents from all but essential activities,” Politico reported on March 30.

“After 14 days — the outermost period at which symptoms are believed to emerge post-infection — doctors at area hospitals are now reporting fewer cases than they expected to see at this point, and officials credit the lockdown with stemming the tide of patients they feared would flood into emergency rooms.”

But as we enter Memorial Day weekend, the Bay Area curve, like the curve in the rest of the country, has been bent — and yet the world remains a closed place for so many people seeking help as they suffer with mental illness.

Officials in Contra Costa County, where the John Muir Medical Center is located, say the answer is to let struggling people know that the crisis phone lines are open, and that in-person, masked and sterile mental health visits are also an option.

Neither of those choices seem particularly inviting, but those are the options available.

Fox News medical expert Doctor Marc Siegel spoke about the efficacy of lockdowns Wednesday on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

“Lockdowns don’t work if there is already a lot of virus in the area, in the community, in the state, the country,” Siegel told the program.

“Suicide, drug abuse, alcoholism,” Siegel added, “there are going to be more deaths of despair than from the virus itself.”

With the weeks having turned into months, and the quarantine body count escalating, it’s time to listen to other voices in the room about our best options going forward.

In fact, 600 doctors signed a letter this week urging President Donald Trump to do what he can to end the shutdowns.

“The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight, but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure. In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse,” the letter said.

“Because the harm is diffuse, there are those who hold that it does not exist. We, the undersigned, know otherwise,” the doctors concluded, according to Fox News.

Of course, the letter was not widely covered by the same national media which is pushing fear onto already overburdened Americans, and some governors exercising strict control over the movements of citizens have done little in the way of signaling there is any end in sight to the shutdowns.

For reasons based either in fear, overzealousness or politics, the lockdowns must apparently go on. The answer for those in crisis is to pick up the phone as the world collapses around them.

As the administrators at Walnut Creek’s John Muir Medical Center reminded us, “We are all in this together!”

https://www.westernjournal.com...tent=libertyalliance

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...to buy the country’s health care industry precious time to prepare for a sea of patients that, in a vast majority of some areas, never came.

FIFY

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://shopruger.com/Ruger-Fa...k/productinfo/15080/

Oh, damn.
Ruger compliance ready face masks.

I m about to hurl.
But I am not gonnna sell my old 10-.22 and Mini-14 to make my point with Ruger.
Unless such action would change the course of human history.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
uses it on the GLOVES!

I do the same thing except I use liquid 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Your tale doesn’t describe what the woman did with the stuff she got from the teller, but sanitizing the gloves could be intended to prevent whatever the gloves might have been contaminated with from then being transferred to the steering wheel or other surfaces. Whether that might be necessary or effective could be a matter of debate, but it’s certainly a possible motive for what she did. She might also intend to reuse the gloves (they are in very short supply these days), and the principle is no different than sanitizing touch surfaces in the home or elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend that. The glove integrity will be seriously compromised. I'm not a Covid expert, but 30 years of dentistry has taught me a thing or two about gloves and masks.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I wouldn't recommend that.

I appreciate the advice and I thought of that, but the gloves I use are heavy nitrile and for my purposes such as being reminded to not stick my fingers in my mouth or eyes, they don’t require much integrity. For anything critical I use them once. If they rip when putting them on, they get replaced then. If they were compromised in use (which I’ve never had happen), I’d do what people who don’t wear gloves at all would do.

And I wouldn’t reuse them if I were working in a level 4 biosafety facility. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Watch them classify those suicides as COVID related deaths to exploit their agenda.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
So.....a few weeks and everyone is climbing walls...drinking....shooting up and checking out?
Maybe the herd thinning of the weak minded isn't such a bad thing?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Andrew Cuomo is now trying to blame President Trump for putting COVID-19 positive patients back into New York State Nursing Homes (NH).

This document has been removed from the New York DOH webpage.
Seems like we should maintain a copy to refresh our memory of what the policy was and under who’s authority (Andrew Cuomo) the policy was mandated.

Pay particular attention to the underlined section.

Link to Full Size Document.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Covid-19: Australia at a glance
Sunday May 24th 2020

Confirmed: 7,099
Active: 503
Recovered: 6,494
Deaths: 102
New daily cases: 6

Victoria Australia Phase 2

Phase 2 planning in Victoria, Australia, looks like:

Victorian Premier Dan Andrews has just announced relaxed restrictions from June 1, with the advice no longer being “stay at home”.

Overall, the state is on track to ease lockdowns as planned, with Step Two beginning next Tuesday May 26, according to Mr Andrews.

Monday, May 25
- a pupil-free day

Tuesday May 26
- classes will resume for Prep, Grade 1, Grade 2, Year 11 and Year 12.
- Public playgrounds, outdoor gyms and skateparks can open as long as there’s no more than 10 people gathered.

From June 1:

- Gatherings of up to 20 people will be allowed in the home, including the members of the household
- Overnight stays – including hotels, motels and other accommodation — will be permitted across the state
- Swimming pools will reopen
- Funerals allowed up to 50 people
- Libraries, youth centres and other community facilities will be able to open
- Entertainment and cultural venues like galleries, museums, drive-in cinemas and historic sites will be able to open their doors, alongside zoos and outdoor amusement parks

On June 9
- Grades 3 through to 10 will rejoin their school mates. All VIC government schools will have returned to class by June 9.

From June 22:

- Alpine resorts, described by Mr Andrews as "a billion dollar industry", will reopen to skiers
- Gyms will reopen for 20 people
- 50 people allowed in cafes, restaurants and bars.

Premier Dan Andrews has not given workers the green light to return to work yet – saying the risk is still too high.

"Working from home is very, very important. In fact, it is critical," Mr Andrews said.

"If we have literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people returning to office blocks, pressing lift buttons, sharing the kitchen, using common spaces, bathrooms and other spaces like that, then we will simply have this virus get away from us. It is the greatest risk to a second wave.

"It contributes the greatest, we think, to the potential of a second wave and all that we are trying to avoid, the notion of having to reimpose some of these rules."

Mr Andrews said the government would continue to assess the working from home arrangement but it would likely stay in place until the end of June.

"I know it is inconvenient working from home and I apologise for the inconvenience but if you have been working from home you must keep working from home throughout June," he said.

"We will work through particularly the issue of working from home with those large, not just CBD employers but there will be employers, large office space employment right across the city and state.

"It is inconvenient but it is a must. If we have everybody returning to business as usual in those indoor workplaces then we will just see this virus spread and all of our good work will be frittered away."

Folks perambulating/pedaling along Brighton foreshore, Melbourne Victoria.
source: Getty Images, au.news.yahoo.com

There are some grumblings about dictatorships.

The Premiers of Qld and NSW have reverted back to sniping away at each other. A sport that we all love.
Particularly for us 'mexicans' down in the southern state of Victoria.

Meanwhile, Western Australia out there in the west, is locked down, border as well.
Be awhile before the Premier there will let go of the power being almost like the Prime Minister.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

I almost want one of those.

(Yet another way to irk the weenies and HR peeps....)

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How about panties? Masks. Made out of women's panties.

What? I'm just asking!

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
LMAO! How much do you think it chapped her ass to have to admit that maybe The Bad Orange Man’s ideas on this drug may have been correct all along here? Big Grin

Senator Amy Klobuchar reluctantly admits hydroxychloroquine saved her husband’s life

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
A muad'dib hand-washing ritual. I like it.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Should we start calling the Wu-flu "shai hulud" instead???

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Para,

Quite alot to unpack there. Big Grin

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Not to be outdone, SIG offers...

SIG Sauer Folding Visor Stock: How To Shoulder A Rifle With COVID-19 Panic Masks

The SIG Folding Visor Stock allows proper shouldering of your weapon whilst accomodating a dual filter mask.

Sig stock 02 by kpkina, on Flickr

You can even execute one-handed operation while clutching that last pack of Charmin...

Sig stock by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
<snipped>

This how mine seems to begin...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-p...us-lockdowns-n417178

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

here’s what the CDC is saying about the fatality rate the coronavirus:

0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: .2%
65+ years old: 1.3%

Overall ages: .4%

the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that’s just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...nning-scenarios.html

see scenario 5 data column

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-p...us-lockdowns-n417178

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

here’s what the CDC is saying about the fatality rate the coronavirus:

0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: .2%
65+ years old: 1.3%

Overall ages: .4%

the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that’s just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...nning-scenarios.html

see scenario 5 data column
Every state in the country should be wide open for business as of now. Any more excuses to the contrary are complete and total BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post