SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We're laying low here, but I have been out plumbing a bit. The thing that worries me is while at the local plumbing wholesaler, I heard lots of talk about New York Cityites wanting their house's opened up here at Chautauqua Institution which is 5 miles North of me.

I would tell them HELL NO, keep your ass where it is!!!!!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m just worried about being intubated and put on a vent built by General Motors! Razz

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m just worried about being intubated and put on a vent built by General Motors! Razz

Hopefully there'll be no Takata parts. I mean, your lungs being air bags and all... Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I love they hypocrisy that Trump has been able to draw out in this whole 'crisis'.

All the Leftist Governors issuing 'STAY AT HOME' Orders, shutting down businesses, putting people out of work - basically self quarantining their states.

Then Trump floats the idea of quarantining NY & NJ to keep people from infecting other states, only to get King Cuomo to come out and say how awful and against the law that would be... mmmkay, what about your orders...?

Even during all of this crap, Trump is playing them like a fiddle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Maybe Entropy was the wisest pilot here?

What the heck happened to Entropy, haven't see anything from in a long while?

I think that was his point.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Maybe Entropy was the wisest pilot here?
What the heck happened to Entropy, haven't see anything from in a long while?
. He lives around my area and it occurred to me I haven’t seen his presence. Maybe Vtail knows?
What is all this supposed to be? Now, I tell ya what, gents- I've got a full plate these days and some of you guys are about to really- and I mean really- piss me off.

Cut the shit, stop trying to be cute or clever, stop bickering, and stay on topic. If I have to address this weird "entropy" crap that has no place in this thread any further, someone's going to regret it, and it won't be me.

Any questions? Ask me now, and watch out for the landmines when you do.

Posts: 107510 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with the “we are overreacting” crowd. The lessons learned from this won’t be shut down the entire nation and put millions out of work while protecting grandpa. I say this as a compromised individual. Midway through second round of chemo I follow the rules. That being said this overreaction will cause way more harm than the actual disease. Then the revisionist history people will pat all the politicians on the back for saving the day through the shutdown of America.

To the it’s not the flu people. Get over yourself, you are right it’s not the flu. It’s more closely related to the cold but a dangerous cold that attacks the respiratory system. Mainly, predominantly, old people, people who are compromised. This reaction isn’t worth the damage. I suspect, one non virologist viewpoint, is that the lesson learned with be the potentially compromised are socially distanced and allow the rest of America to soldier on.

One thing that will hit the news, guaranteed tomorrow is that a nursing home in the next town over, Mt Airy MD, just got hit with a Washington state event. 66 seniors at the home tested positive and 11 are hospitalized. These are the very people who needed to be protected and somehow that didn’t happen at this home. Ugh.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I think this came from the NY doctor's testimony on page 250.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...aw&feature=emb_title

Even if we take this video from one doctor as God's word from on high, I don't think his message is quite that cut and dried.

He says you have to have sustained contact for 15-30 minutes... But he also says you get it from shaking someone's hand at a party, or "slapping hands" with someone who will get sick in two days, or by touching a random thing out in the world.

My understanding of what he said was 99.?% was from droplets. You touch a surface that has the virus on it and touch your face. You just screwed yourself. The other 0.?% was from aerosol, and that was what required sustained contact breathing someone else’s contaminated air.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I went fishing today. Caught five pan size rainbows. Going again tomorrow if the weather holds. Seems others here could use some fresh air.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
I went fishing today. Caught five pan size rainbows. Going again tomorrow if the weather holds. Seems others here could use some fresh air.

I'm a wannnabe fisherman, but I FULLY agree!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting take on what China is doing now. Surreal reversal of cause and effect.

https://news.sky.com/story/cor...-keep-it-so-11965056

Incidentally, Dalian is the city I most often travel to.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A small town in western Marquette County has suspended trash pickup. Out of concern for the trash men. Two dudes are normally employed to pick up the trash. So, now, everyone in the town and surrounding area has to drive their trash into town and leave it at the community center.
So... If the trash is infectious... will the drive to town with it in your car suddenly sterilize it? And who will transport the infectious trash from the community center to the county dump? The city council? Or the same two dudes who normally pick up the trash from your house? Or a third party trash hauler?
So many questions.... Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:

I'm a wannnabe fisherman, but I FULLY agree!!

Took the doors off and windows out the Jeep a few days ago.

Put my new foot rests on. Sounds corny, but man I love them.

Drove 200+ miles in the last 2 days. Another 100 tomorrow (schlepping kids to and fro with the ex).

Love the air!

About done with social media and news. It’s all absolutely shit. Absolute, complete, horseshit.

Back to work tomorrow. Checking everyone’s temperature before we sign on Roll Eyes

So over this dumb shit.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A small town in western Marquette County has suspended trash pickup. Out of concern for the trash men. Two dudes are normally employed to pick up the trash. So, now, everyone in the town and surrounding area has to drive their trash into town and leave it at the community center.
So... If the trash is infectious... will the drive to town with it in your car suddenly sterilize it? And who will transport the infectious trash from the community center to the county dump? The city council? Or the same two dudes who normally pick up the trash from your house? Or a third party trash hauler?
That is an idiotic policy. I’m not happy about my county’s stay at home order, but at least trash was exempt as an essential business. Our trash is 100% robotic as far as handling the 90 gallon wheeled trash cans. Driver never comes in contact with trash.

We are CITIZENS not subjects and our elected or appointed emergency managers are our representatives not our overlords.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

That's freaking retarded. Some services need to continue. That's like throwing gas on a fire.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe his approach is best.

“RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Even as coronavirus cases mount in Latin America’s largest nation, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has staked out the most deliberately dismissive position of any major world leader, calling the pandemic a momentary, minor problem and saying strong measures to contain it are unnecessary.

Bolsonaro says his response to the disease matches that of President Donald Trump in the U.S., but the Brazilian leader has gone further, labeling the virus as “a little flu” and saying state governors’ aggressive measures to halt the disease were crimes…”

https://apnews.com/b21a296383694c6726d03e027134daf1

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Breaking News......according to the Brits, there is a chance that China has been lying about it's numbers.

Link to Daily Wire article

In other Breaking news this man.....

may still be clinging to death.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your friend may be on the upswing. Hope that's the case and he's out of there soon.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Yes, hope he feels better quick. Thanks for the update gonna go do some pushups now.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Since we may hear some results tomorrow from NY on their test w Hydroxychloroquine, here is the data from the 80 patient French study.

The French study has been led by Dr Didier Raoult

https://techstartups.com/2020/...ents-significant-dr/

test results

This isn't an area where I have any special expertise. But from my understanding, the test of the samples is PCR Polymerase chain reaction.

Ct is Cycle threshold. Each cycle of the process can double the replicas of the nucleic acid being tested for.

If a threshold is met at low cycle counts, that means there is a strong positive reaction (in this case lots of corona virus).

As the Ct increases, that means there had to be higher and higher amplification to detect.

It appears Dr Raoult used Ct < 34 as the cutoff. Samples w Ct <34 were still positive, but samples w higher Ct were considered clear.

Note half the patients were clear after 4 days (gray bar)

I assume some patients were pulled from the study as they cleared

It will be important to see how the NY test compared to the study results.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

there have been criticisms / questions of how sick the patients in the study actually were (at the beginning of the trial). So the NY test should help clarify that concern.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19566 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post