SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Guess we all better shave our beards. Want to get a tight seal on our masks and all.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Guess we all better shave our beards. Want to get a tight seal on our masks and all.

Yep, people with facial hair need a different plan.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys are serious? Shave your beard so your gas mask has a better seal? Because of the coronawithawedgeoflime virus?

So, before this latest superbug- no need to have a good seal on the gas mask? Razz

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You guys are serious? Shave your beard so your gas mask has a better seal? Because of the coronawithawedgeoflime virus?

So, before this latest superbug- no need to have a good seal on the gas mask? Razz

You won’t be laughing when you’re turned into a newt.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm just answering questions on how to use a mask, not saying that you should do it (yet). In fact, the CDC is saying not to worry about masks yet in the US.

I have a highest-rated P95 mask hanging in my closet. It's going to stay there until the zombie hordes start over-running the boulevard, or I have to paint something.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're not being attacked with the stuff, are we? Weaponized aerosol?

Unless you're planning to wear your gas mask 24 hours a day, how is it going to help?

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
What are the types/specs of effective masks? I know we're not talking about simple paper dust masks. What about the thicker, heavier respirator types found in hardware stores?

A well-fitted full mask type, rated N95 or better (R95, P95) has an 80% efficacy rate at preventing airborne contraction of viruses. This is because a perfect seal is necessary for the mask to work.

I carve a lot with fine dust and mold spores drifting around. I was using high end dust mask I got at Lowe’s. However one on the carving sites has a half size mask that makes me look like Bane from Batman.

https://welburngourdfarm.com/p...half-size-respirator

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes duck tape.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interactive Map from Johns Hopkins

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis...40299423467b48e9ecf6

My advice: Check this link daily.

If the red circles increase in quantity or size and show up any where near you... start to take precautions based on the spread.

I know that I will and have advised my family and friends of the same.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My plan is to stop breathing.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's simple, really...

First, a person warns that they're going to cough.

Then the designated Cough Warden for that area produces his wooden alarm rattle, which he twirls vigorously while loudly calling COUGH COUGH COUGH.

All those in the area then don their masks and check seals, giving thumbs up when ready.

The Cough Warden then indicates that it is safe to cough, and a cough is produced.

5 minutes after the final cough, the all-clear is sounded by the Warden, masks are removed, and you go about your business.

You get pretty good at it after the first couple times.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
quote:
Yes duck tape.
Eek

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else watching World War Z tonight? Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
quote:

Yes duck tape.

*quack*

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Also, don't forget that it's just as important to sanitize the inside as well as the outside.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We're not being attacked with the stuff, are we? Weaponized aerosol?

Unless you're planning to wear your gas mask 24 hours a day, how is it going to help?

You would wear a mask when going out in public to circumvent airborne person-to-person transmission. An infected person breathes out, and even coughs and sneezes, and the virus goes for a ride on moisture and mucous droplets. That's what a good mask filters out.

(Technically the virus particles are smaller than an N95 filter can catch, but most of the time the virus is piggybacking a much larger particle.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Let's see, China's lost 80 people to this and they are four times the population of the US. We lost about 80,000 in the US to the flu last year. Not too worried about this particular virus.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're gonna walk around with an honest to God gas mask on? You guys are pulling my leg.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW Smile

"A little online research will reveal that the flu virus is .17 microns in size. Clearly smaller than even N100 masks can filter out. However, it is critical to understand that the flu virus does not float in the air by itself. The flu virus is transported from patient to patient on droplets of excretions from sneezing and coughing. These particles are typically 5 microns or larger. When a sick patient wears a respirator, the respirator can be very effective at preventing infectious material from leaving the patients body, and when worn by healthy individuals, it prevents inhalation of said material. More importantly, wearing a mask is a excellent way of preventing the user from rubbing or touching their mouth or nose, which is a very high risk factor. At the end of the day will an N95 mask guarantee to protect you from the Flu? No. But it can substantially reduce your risk or receiving or transmitting the disease."

https://www.envirosafetyproduc...-the-difference.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post