SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Desantis Suspends all COVID 19 orders

DeSantis executive order suspends all local COVID-19 orders; St. Pete mayor unhappy
By Spectrum News Staff Florida
UPDATED 12:11 PM ET May. 03, 2021 PUBLISHED 10:18 AM ET May. 03, 2021
ST. PETERSBURG - Gov. Ron DeSantis is suspending all local COVID-19 orders immediately by executive order.

The announcement was made Monday morning while DeSantis was visiting St. Petersburg.

DeSantis said while COVID isn’t over, the need for emergency rules is.

The bill the governor signed Monday gives him the ability to override local emergency orders like the ones passed throughout Florida after the pandemic began.

It does not take effect until July 1, but DeSantis said his executive order suspends local ordinances immediately.

“The bill ensures that neither the state or local governments can close businesses or keep kids out of in-personal instruction unless they satisfy a demanding and continuous justification,” he said.

t. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman posted on Twitter his displeasure with the governor's action.

"Today, in preempting both local governments AND businesses from keeping their establishments safe, Ron DeSantis decided he cares not about public health, but power," Kriseman said.

In another tweet, the mayor said: "To be clear, cities like St. Pete, Tampa, Orlando, Miami and Miami Beach, saved Florida and the governor's behind throughout this pandemic. Can you imagine if each city had been led by Ron DeSantis? How many lives would have been lost? What would our economy look like today?"

During his Monday remarks, the governor slammed other states for their COVID regulations as well as officials who say people should still wear masks and social distancing after being vaccinated.

House Speaker Chris Sprowls praised DeSantis for his handling of the pandemic, comparing him favorably to the governors of New York and California.⁦

Spectrum News reported in March that St. Petersburg’s code enforcement department has issued more than 260 municipal violations to local businesses for violating the city's COVID-19 ordinance since last summer. Those were mostly related to employees failing to wear masks or socially distance.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Such a fantastic governor.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
If this article is accurate and just the spike protein can damage the vascular system. What are going to be the long term effects of an MRNA vaccine that makes your own body produce the spike protein?

THE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS’ SPIKE PROTEIN PLAYS ADDITIONAL KEY ROLE IN ILLNESS

Unlikely an mRNA vaccine would replicate Covid's entire spike protein, rather only a portion (epitope) necessary for immune recognition to take place. The FDA would have taken this into consideration during its preliminary (emergency) review.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Unlikely an mRNA vaccine would replicate Covid's entire spike protein, rather only a portion (epitope) necessary for immune recognition to take place. The FDA would have taken this into consideration during its preliminary (emergency) review.

That's my understanding as well. Even if it were the entire spike protein, I believe that material would be gone as soon as the antibody response was generated. It would show up as a side effect within those first few weeks, not long term.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Report: FDA Set to Authorize Pfizer COVID-19 Shot for Ages 12-15 Early Next Week

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfr...21/05/03/id/1019977/

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is preparing to authorize Pfizer Inc and German partner BioNTech SE's COVID-19 vaccine for adolescents aged between 12 and 15 years by early next week, the New York Times reported on Monday, citing federal officials familiar with the agency's plans.

An approval is highly anticipated after the drugmakers said in March that the vaccine was found to be safe, effective and produced robust antibody responses in 12- to 15-year-olds in a clinical trial.

Responding to a Reuters request for comment, the FDA said its review of expanding the vaccine's emergency use authorization is ongoing, but did not provide further details.

The vaccine has already been cleared in the United States for people aged 16 and above.

Pfizer declined to comment on the NYT report.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director Rochelle Walensky said earlier in April that the vaccine could be approved by mid-May.

If an approval for the 12-15 year olds is granted, the CDC's vaccine advisory panel will likely meet the following day to review the clinical trial data and make recommendations for the vaccine's use in adolescents, the report added. (https://nyti.ms/3eclRld)

A potential approval of the vaccine would boost the country's immunization drive and help allay fears of parents anxious to protect their children from COVID-19.

Moderna Inc and Johnson & Johnson are also testing their vaccines in 12- to 18-year olds, with data from Moderna's trial expected to come soon.

Pfizer and Moderna have also launched trials in even younger children, aged six months to 11 years old. Both companies have said they hope to be able to vaccinate children under 11 as soon as early 2022.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Not in a million years will I give my children this vaccine. Insane.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Desantis Suspends all COVID 19 orders

Meanwhile the fags in charge of my state want to “roll back” phases, whatever that means.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget Governor Whitmer who want Michigan to Vacc to Normal.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Most people have either had it or got a shot, why the fuck are we (not us, the US), still freaked out about this? Why aren't government employees back to work? Why are we still paying enhanced unemployment insurance? Why aren't kids back to school now? Why has my company deferred returning non critical employees onsite? Why is Biden still wearing masks outdoors? Why are people still walking their dogs, or driving with masks on?

Fuck all this shit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Most people have either had it or got a shot, why the fuck are we (not us, the US), still freaked out about this? Why aren't government employees back to work? Why are we still paying enhanced unemployment insurance? Why aren't kids back to school now? Why has my company deferred returning non critical employees onsite? Why is Biden still wearing masks outdoors? Why are people still walking their dogs, or driving with masks on?

Fuck all this shit.

Yeah... the "new cases" or virus numbers in MO are practically non-existent.
This is no longer a pandemic, at least not here.
The restrictions are all BS. It's simply about power.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
States Offer Beer, Cash Incentives As Vaccine Demand Softens

https://www.zerohedge.com/covi...ccine-demand-softens

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paid for by the pharmacy companies, of course.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Stopped into Lowes today to look for a few things. I left my mask in the truck and didn't feel like going back for it, so I just went in.

All was fine until some lady pitched a fit back by the plumbing section. I gave her the Ted Cruz response: "Ma'am, I'm fully vaccinated. I do not have it, nor can I give it to you. But, if it bothers you that much, you are more than welcome to stay away from me. You have a nice day."

She didn't like that much. Big Grin

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I seldom wear a mask now. I did have to go to our county Assessor's office and a mask was required so I keep one in my truck...just in case. Outside of that, NADA. Strange, I have never had anyone say anything to me about it like I have read about here on the forum.

Maybe we just don't have enough Karens.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Stopped into Lowes today to look for a few things. I left my mask in the truck and didn't feel like going back for it, so I just went in.

All was fine until some lady pitched a fit back by the plumbing section. I gave her the Ted Cruz response: "Ma'am, I'm fully vaccinated. I do not have it, nor can I give it to you. But, if it bothers you that much, you are more than welcome to stay away from me. You have a nice day."

She didn't like that much. Big Grin
Personally, I liked the good ole boy in Home Depot response to the fat, half wit, moron who threw a comment his way something like, "I guess you can't read the masks required sign on the front door". Good ole boy (who was maybe 6'3" and 230) simply turned around and said "Your mouth is putting you at more risk right now than that ole virus. Now be on your way before you annoy me any more." Fat, half wit, got the point and wobbled on down the aisle. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe we just don't have enough Karens.

Move to DC metro area, we've got all the karen's you could ever want.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Paid for by the pharmacy companies, of course.

So now they’re reduced to offering candy for people to get the snake oil? That doesn’t surprise me in the least. They’re trying to appeal to the free shit mentality because billions have been invested in developing the various vaccines.

I find it humorous that despite the intensive vaccine marketing campaign, only about 1/3 of the US and less than 10% of the entire globe is fully vaccinated. And yet here we are, not dead or dying, virus in retreat, freedom loving people openly defiant of the fear mongering.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
A Pandemic of Fear

By Steve Berger

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself-nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance” Franklin Delano Roosevelt Inaugural Address

“Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.” William Shakespeare, The Tempest

We have now clocked 14 months and counting since the “temporary emergency” (two words that send chills up any libertarian spine) lockdown orders to prevent our nation’s hospitals from being unduly stressed by the Covid 19 virus. Without denying Covid’s transmissibility or infectiousness, especially for the elderly and at risk individuals with one or more co-morbidities, I think we can all agree that we have careened from fear to fear over this period of time. Fear over hospitalizations gave way to fear over the infamous death counts displayed 24/7 by mainstream media. As death rates subsided last summer, fear of death gave way to fear over cases accompanied by an almost manic counting of tests administered. And, finally, the obsession with test and case counts has been displaced by how many have gotten their Covid shots. Fear, as FDR intoned in his famous inaugural address, is often unreasoning and unjustified. It elevates the flight or fight syndrome, causes the suspension of disbelief and leads to emotional, panic-driven decisions. At each of these four stages of Covid engendered fear, one could have raised objective counters to the prevailing narrative. To wit, very few hospitals were overcrowded. Most Covid deaths, by the CDC’s own admission are with Covid not from Covid with the latter constituting 6% of the total reported. The case counts were likely drastically overinflated as a result of faulty and overly sensitive testing methodologies. And the vaccines may not be a magical cure all preventing transmission or infection, but, if safe and effective, may minimize adverse symptoms should one contract Covid. Big pharma is already mentioning the need for annual booster shots.

Raising any of these counterpoints to the prevailing narrative is unlikely to be countered by rational, calm debate, but most assuredly will get one tagged as being a Trumpian anti-vaxxer, classic ad hominem attacks hardly deserving response. But, to set the record straight, this writer is neither a Trumpian nor an anti-vaxxer. Over time my philosophic journey has evolved from an initial belief that government was a necessary evil to thinking that is mainly evil. Few politicians are for me exemplars of moral courage or intellectual honesty. President Kennedy is one exception in my lifetime as his moral courage to avert nuclear war and dismantle the national security state very well may have cost him his life at the hands of political enemies. Before Kennedy, I have to retreat to Grover Cleveland, who had the courage time after time to uphold the Constitution, earning him the sobriquet of Mr. Veto for his repeated nays to Congressional attempts to create powers not enumerated. And saying that I am anti-vaxxer is a pejorative slight implying that I substitute superstition for medicine and science when in fact, like many, I am trying to make my own informed decision about my own health and treatment or prophylactic options.

Someone recently asked me about the origins of my love of individual liberty and how I came to embrace the non-aggression axiom at the heart of libertarian philosophy. I initially responded that after college, I followed Mark Twain’s advice never to let my schooling interfere with my education so I embarked on my own course of self-education, devouring all the classics by Rand, Rothbard, Hayek, Block, Hoppe, von Mises as well as political philosophers diametrically opposed to their love of liberty and individual responsibility. But, upon further reflection, I realized that my libertarian roots may have been present as a toddler. One of my earliest memories is my parents growing frustrated with my endless use of the word why! I guess I simply never liked being told what to do or what to think, and I think this skeptical predisposition to question authority was the fertile soil for building my set of political and moral beliefs.

So, in the spirit of being the why (and hopefully wise) guy, I have just a few questions I would like to pose to the CDC and the vaccine manufacturers before I dutifully line up to take the shots. If they can answer these fully to my satisfaction, my consent to get the shots will be informed and voluntary; if not, my submission will only occur because legal mandates will make it impossible to enjoy life on acceptable terms.

Here is my list:

1. Why is the partnership of government and 4 major vaccine manufacturers exempt from the usual harms of crony capitalism present in other industries where government and big business are allied? Bailouts and subsidies in other industries create moral hazard, socialize risk, and tend to result in high prices and/or poor product quality as the removal of market-based penalties for failure is weakened. Where many glorify Operation Warp Speed and are eager to announce Mission Accomplished much as Bush the younger did in the early days of the forever Iraq war, I have a gnawing sense of discomfort that a product is being rushed to market without full and extensive testing. The government can posture as savior. The vaccine manufacturers, who are granted legal immunity under their private/public partnership and have been provided enormous subsidies to develop the vaccines, have a pure profit opportunity with legally constrained limits on loss or reprisal. This is not meant to ascribe improper motives to either government or corporate entities as the efforts to abate the pandemic may indeed be totally humanitarian. But, zero liability and skewed risk/reward structures create incentives which leave me uneasy.

2. Are the vaccines safe and effective? If so, why are many government officials still recommending that the vaccinated wear mask(s), socially distance and otherwise put their lives on hold? Does not this public messaging do more to undercut the incentive to get a vaccine than any anti-vaxxer could create?

3. If the vaccines are so effective, how do you account for the occurrence from December 14, 2020 through last Friday of almost 120,000 adverse events in the US reported to VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) including over 3500 deaths?

4. While these may statistically indeed be a small percentage of total vaccines administered to date, is it likely that the systematic underreporting to you under VAERS is on the order of just one to ten percent of all adverse events? If that is so, then do you consider the likely true number of adverse vaccine events of 1.2 to 12 million to be material?

5. And, for certain segments of the population (namely anyone under the age of 30) for whom the odds of contracting Covid and/or debilitating symptoms may be close to zero, how do you justify taking an injection which is admittedly still experimental? Is this risk/reward logical?

6. If the “vaccines” are so desirable, why have you resorted to classic propaganda techniques (including frequent public servant announcements, photo ops of athletes, politicians and movie stars getting their shots, nonstop social messaging) to encourage their acceptance? Do you think the average citizen is too infantile to provide informed consent?

7. Why are you threatening the use of vaccine passports and a legal nether world of the unvaccinated to coerce getting the shots? Do you think the average citizen is too infantile to provide informed consent?

8. Do you think that employers and colleges mandating these vaccines at your behest is consonant with the key elements of the Nuremberg Code and its strictures regarding the scope of and moral underpinnings of medical experimentation?

9. Why have dissenting views by other scientists and/or vaccine safety organizations been greeted with silence and/or censorship?

I look forward to receiving complete answers to my list of questions. In the meantime, I fully recognize and respect the decision of any individual who chooses to mask up, isolate from society and get vaccinated. It is your right and prerogative. Your body is your choice. I do not respect or recognize your ability to mandate that my individual health decisions are subject to your dictates, which, by and large, I find inhuman, inhumane and unconstitutional. I search in vain for a pandemic exception to the Bill of Rights, which were adopted with a devastating smallpox scourge in the founders’ rear view mirror. To compel that I abide by your dictates so that we can all get back a way of life that was unnaturally and unconstitutionally obliterated strikes me as morally obtuse.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/20.../a-pandemic-of-fear/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just heard this from a friend who works at the Philadelphia Zoo, one of the biggest and the first zoo established in America:

SMDH Roll Eyes

I just heard the real reason no ice cream places are open in the Zoo. I thought it might be they are small or air circulation or something. But it’s so they can keep up the mask nonsense. Because when you get ice cream you can walk around with it off. Unreal

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Well, just hope you do not need a blood transfusion in the future.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post