SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Depressed? Yes. Amused? Also yes.

I was in Columbia SC this week, went to a $tarbucks. They made me wear a mask. I made them give me one. I then sat down at a table and was exempt from putting it on. So there!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I caught Gladiator tonight on tv and several of the commercial breaks were for Corona beer. Not one mask, social distancing, or any other state sponsored horse shit. I thought it was funny given all the negative attention they got early on as a result of sheer stupidity and ignorance.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I caught Gladiator tonight on tv and several of the commercial breaks were for Corona beer. Not one mask, social distancing, or any other state sponsored horse shit. I thought it was funny given all the negative attention they got early on as a result of sheer stupidity and ignorance.

Are these the ones with Snoop Dogg? The dude who made a rap video parodying the assassination of our President?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tiny Antibody Component Highly Effective Against COVID-19

https://www.upmc.com/media/new...s-dimitrov-covid-ab8

PITTSBURGH – University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists have isolated the smallest biological molecule to date that completely and specifically neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which is the cause of COVID-19. This antibody component, which is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody, has been used to construct a drug—known as Ab8—for potential use as a therapeutic and prophylactic against SARS-CoV-2.

The researchers report today in the journal Cell that Ab8 is highly effective in preventing and treating SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice and hamsters. Its tiny size not only increases its potential for diffusion in tissues to better neutralize the virus, but also makes it possible to administer the drug by alternative routes, including inhalation. Importantly, it does not bind to human cells—a good sign that it won’t have negative side-effects in people.

Ab8 was evaluated in conjunction with scientists from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) and University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) at Galveston, as well as the University of British Columbia and University of Saskatchewan.

“Ab8 not only has potential as therapy for COVID-19, but it also could be used to keep people from getting SARS-CoV-2 infections,” said co-author John Mellors, M.D., chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at UPMC and Pitt. “Antibodies of larger size have worked against other infectious diseases and have been well tolerated, giving us hope that it could be an effective treatment for patients with COVID-19 and for protection of those who have never had the infection and are not immune.”

The tiny antibody component is the variable, heavy chain (VH) domain of an immunoglobulin, which is a type of antibody found in the blood. It was found by “fishing” in a pool of more than 100 billion potential candidates using the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein as bait. Ab8 is created when the VH domain is fused to part of the immunoglobulin tail region, adding the immune functions of a full-size antibody without the bulk.

Like the Pitt and UPMC vaccine candidate PittCoVacc that delivers an immunization through a spiky Band-Aid-like patch and overcomes the need for needles and refrigeration, the researchers are “thinking outside the box” when it comes to how Ab8 could be administered. Its small size might allow it to be given as an inhaled drug or intradermally, rather than intravenously through an IV drip, like most monoclonal antibodies currently in development.

Abound Bio, a newly formed UPMC-backed company, has licensed Ab8 for worldwide development.

More at link

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Bill Gates... anti-trump, globalist, a-hole:

Bill Gates Slams FDA, Doubts Agency Can Be Trusted With COVID-19 Vaccine

Bill Gates just ratcheted up his PR campaign to sow doubts about President Trump's alleged 'political meddling' with the FDA, while also placing him in league - if only temporarily - with the vaccine skeptics Gates frequently rails against. During an interview with Bloomberg News, the Microsoft founder and Gates Foundation chairman, who has persisted in his defenses of the WHO despite growing evidence of missteps, attacked the FDA's credibility, claiming that he no longer believes the FDA is 'the world's premier public-health authority', as Bloomberg says during the opening paragraph of the post.

Gates, who has helped finance several vaccine projects around the world, said he doesn't trust the CDC, either, because credibility and a focus public welfare have become "casualties of a presidency that has downplayed or dismissed science and medicine in the pursuit of political gain."

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...ted-covid-19-vaccine

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I only heard part of dr. falsi's interview on OAN yesterday. He's said the crud restrictions should be enforced and expected well into 2021, even with the possibility of a vaccine being released? Roll Eyes

I'm glad that turd isn't a daily sound byte anymore.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Bill Gates... anti-trump, globalist, a-hole:

Bill Gates Slams FDA, Doubts Agency Can Be Trusted With COVID-19 Vaccine

Bill Gates just ratcheted up his PR campaign to sow doubts about President Trump's alleged 'political meddling' with the FDA, while also placing him in league - if only temporarily - with the vaccine skeptics Gates frequently rails against. During an interview with Bloomberg News, the Microsoft founder and Gates Foundation chairman, who has persisted in his defenses of the WHO despite growing evidence of missteps, attacked the FDA's credibility, claiming that he no longer believes the FDA is 'the world's premier public-health authority', as Bloomberg says during the opening paragraph of the post.

Gates, who has helped finance several vaccine projects around the world, said he doesn't trust the CDC, either, because credibility and a focus public welfare have become "casualties of a presidency that has downplayed or dismissed science and medicine in the pursuit of political gain."

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...ted-covid-19-vaccine
Yeah, I'm no fan of the FDA or CDC either, but I also think Gates is an ideological moron on the topic.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to start another thread on da' rona but I have had a question posed to me, which I don't know the answer.

A chain employer in Virginia is making it mandatory to wear a Contact Tracing device for it's employees. The person asked me if there is any grounds to which they can legally reject the requirement and still keep their employment. I told her that I'd check with the smartest collective I can think of, so here we are.

Off the top of my head, there is definitely a personal liberties issue. Nobody needs to know where, when, or how long a person has gone somewhere or whom they've been in contact with. Very much a security issue in my mind. I know that a consultation with legal representation is always a good route, and I've advised that already. Just wanted others opinions.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A chain employer in Virginia is making it mandatory to wear a Contact Tracing device for it's employees. The person asked me if there is any grounds to which they can legally reject the requirement and still keep their employment.

On the one hand... an 'at-will' employer does not need a reason to fire an employee.

But... they still have no authority over the employee when the employee is not at work.

I wouldn't want to work for such an employer. The best outcome would be if ALL or most employees told the employer "No way!". They probably can't function if enough of them say no.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I didn't want to start another thread on da' rona but I have had a question posed to me, which I don't know the answer.

A chain employer in Virginia is making it mandatory to wear a Contact Tracing device for it's employees...

This is on their company property only, correct? If so it is no different than having an RFID badge that unlocks doors to corporate offices. I am not sure why the employee would care as long as it is on the company property. Take it off and leave it when you leave the property and no harm no fowl. But if they are saying to wear it off the clock and off property, then no way. But it would do them no good anyway, as how would they know what people were around you anyway, unless it is only to trace interactions between employees.

I think more info is needed for sure.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
This is on their company property only, correct?

Got the clarification. Seems it's only while clocked in. No idea what information is being tracked and who is managing it. I still think it's a bad idea for businesses to get into this kind of stuff. Soon, there will be no privacy left. I have advised retaining a good labor lawyer to further discuss this. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mutedblade,

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Are these the ones with Snoop Dogg? The dude who made a rap video parodying the assassination of our President?

No it was not. I wouldn’t give that shitbag a second of notice so stow the attitude.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... a contact tracing device?

Well, we maybe entering areas of Privacy.
And if this pertains to the health of an employee, is the trace logging being retained by the corporation, third party - well we maybe entering the realms of HIPAA and Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

There are regulations, and differences by state to review ...

Well, my two pfennig for the day.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

I was in Columbia SC this week, went to a $tarbucks. They made me wear a mask. I made them give me one. I then sat down at a table and was exempt from putting it on. So there!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

Yep, this is the absolute height of stupidity. In Central Florida....

Outside - No need to wear a mask.
To enter a restaurant - Must wear a mask
Once seated and for the remainder of the outing - No need to wear a mask.
To leave - Must wear a mask until exiting the front door.
Outside - No need to wear a mask.

I don't know who came up with these retarded requirements, but it pains me to no end that no one on the County Commission stopped and said aloud, "This is stupid". But then again, the people on the commission aren't exactly 'bright'. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Went to the only place in my county to get tested. Two of my kids and my wife are sick. I'm not 100%, feel like I have the beginning of something, and figured I'd get tested as a precaution. Find out the results in 5-7days. By that time, I'll be over whatever I have.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

No it was not. I wouldn’t give that shitbag a second of notice so stow the attitude.

Attitude? Damn. Sensitive much? Slow your roll, man. I'm not attacking you. Goodness.

I never bought Corona because it's shit beer, but had I drank Corona, I certainly wouldn't be now. Not because of the stupid pandemic crap, but because their new spokesman is now that "shitbag" as you say.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I don't know who came up with these retarded requirements, but it pains me to no end that no one on the County Commission stopped and said aloud, "This is stupid". But then again, the people on the commission aren't exactly 'bright'. Roll Eyes

That asshole deming, that's likely who. Just look at the joke that's orange county sheriff and how he politicized it. They hire trash and promote trash.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Attitude? Damn. Sensitive much? Slow your roll, man. I'm not attacking you. Goodness.

I never bought Corona because it's shit beer, but had I drank Corona, I certainly wouldn't be now. Not because of the stupid pandemic crap, but because their new spokesman is now that "shitbag" as you say.

I don’t drink at all, so my observation was simply an exercise in pointing something out. The comment the way it was presented was unnecessary.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Uhhhh....WHAAAT? Eek

Try this at my house and there will be blood all right, but not of me or my family members!

"Hi I'm from the government and I've come to bleed you."

quote:

Dem Mayor Launches Study That Will Collect Blood Samples From Randomly Selected Houston Homes

Democratic Mayor Sylvester Turner has signed off on a new study that will see city employees visit randomly selected homes in Houston to collect blood samples for COVID-19 antibody testing.

The study is being conducted by the Houston Health Department in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Household members will be asked to answer a survey and give a blood sample. For some households, all members of the household will be asked to participate.

Authorities say the tests are necessary to develop a deeper insight into how COVID-19 spreads through the community and how many people were previously infected with the virus.

The Mayor said the program would be voluntary, but urged citizens to take part.

“If we knock on your door, I strongly encourage you and your loved ones to participate in this important survey,” said Turner.

“The data you provide by participating will help inform strategies to mitigate the effects of COVID-19.”

Link

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post