SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Saw the stupidest damn thing, yesterday. Was over at a buddy's place for a Labor Day get-together. He lives near a sail club.

Watched a couple bringing their boat in. Damned if the idiots weren't wearing masks.

It was just the two of them out on the water all by themselves.

Wow

Yep, just as stupid as the woman I saw a couple weeks ago out kayaking by herself on a lake and wearing a mask.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
To be fair, some people have been wearing masks before covid because of allergies. I have a friend who's been wearing masks while kayaking for seasonal allergies.

Covid related - stupid.

Allergies related - understandable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Really interesting watching how local media is reporting the Corona outbreak in the homeless population of Anchorage. Every article and feature reports that those with positive results are being housed at, "An undisclosed location". The undisclosed location is a series of hotels the city has eased put to house them in quarantine.

Sounds like a smart idea to quarantine them and keep it from spreading. It's not, we refer t it as the, "Homeless Lottery". There are some of the homeless who are actively trying to get infected by the virus by sharing bottles, smokes and trading sexual favors with those who have positive results. They test positive they get a hotel room, 3 meals a day and cable tv for 2 weeks. We've had several come into the ER bragging about it.

That hasn't been reported.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Really interesting watching how local media is reporting the Cover outbreak in the homeless population of Anchorage. Every article and feature reports that those with positive results are being housed at, "An undisclosed location". The undisclosed location is a series of hotels the city has eased put to house them in quarantine.

Sounds like a smart idea to quarantine them and keep it from spreading. It's not, we refer t it as the, "Homeless Lottery". There are some of the homeless who are actively trying to get infected by the virus by sharing bottles, smokes and trading sexual favors with those who have positive results. They test positive they get a hotel room, 3 meals a day and cable tv for 2 weeks. We've had several come into the ER bragging about it.

That hasn't been reported.

That has to be great for commerce in the state, keeping out healthy visitors that have and want to spend their money in Alaska, and giving the homeless stays that we would have paid for Roll Eyes Bite Me Alaska!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
That has to be great for commerce in the state, keeping out healthy visitors that have and want to spend their money in Alaska, and giving the homeless stays that we would have paid for Roll Eyes Bite Me Alaska!!!

Please don't blame the State of Alaska for the idiotic antics from Anchorage's mayor.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh horseshit. Keep it up, fake media. Keep it up, cause every day more and more people aren't buying your shit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Adam Carolla laments 'nation of cowards' created by coronavirus restrictions
quote:
“There's just a big tent of fear and fear is how politicians control you,” Carolla, the host of "The Adam Carolla Show," told host Tucker Carlson. “Everything they say is fear-based. And if you want to control your populace, you do it with fear.”

According to Carolla, kids learn fear “early and often,” citing active shooter drills in school as the modern equivalent of the "duck-and-cover" drills of the 1950s.

“Now we're saying, 'Stay home, get under your bed, get in a fetal position and wait to die,'" he said. "And all it's doing is scaring kids, depressing kids. It's creating a nation of cowards. People have no idea that there is a horrible byproduct to fear. Fear isn't free.”

However, Carolla said, the “scariest” part of the crisis "is the citizens turning on the citizens."

“The cowards that won't leave the house to walk on a nature trail without a mask and then shoot you the stink eye when you don't have your mask shoved in your face ...” he said. “That's the scary part. I didn't anticipate it.”

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Always liked him. Spot on.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They shut down an entire High School for 6 positive cases in Orange County FL! 6 cases.

Our daughter's school sent a note home that they had 1 positive case and contract traced it to 50 other kids - so far no talks of closing the school.

Meanwhile Florida State's President keeps threatening to close the school to on campus classes and send them home if they don't stop being college kids - apparently over 800 cases have cropped up.

"Nation of Cowards" is right...

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I talked with the principal of school my 5th and 7th graders go to before making the decision to send them back to school. He assured me the school would not shut down unless there was a mandate from the governor. That seemed reasonable to me.

There's a point where if enough teachers and kids are out that closing the school would make sense, but 6 kids isn't it.

Subs are in short supply in my county. Subs don't get paid much, many are retirees, and I'm sure many have made the decision that it just isn't worth the risk.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Oh horseshit. Keep it up, fake media. Keep it up, cause every day more and more people aren't buying your shit.

I read the Fox News version of that & the "researchers" in San Diego found that there was a huge increase in covid cases related to Sturgis, but not from any previous large gatherings, like BLM rallies, or protests.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son's high school in suburban Indianapolis opened a little over a month ago. There were some cases of students testing positive, and they went back to home based for a week or so, then to partial weeks - some days home some days at school, on an alternating schedule to keep the school 1/2 full at any given time.

The frustrating part is there is no info. We get a notification of a positive test, but it's a form letter. There is no follow up - no info as to the number of "cases" that are actually symptomatic, no info about the severity of any symptomatic cases, or recoveries. It has been stated that young people, especially college age, overestimate their chances of dying from the virus by a huge amount - like 100x or 1000x more than reality.

If for example they announced that no "cases" led to symptoms, that would calm a lot of people. Or if they said that those with symptoms have mild flu for a few days and get over it. I'm sure this is the case though. So I just think they need to suck it up, stay open, and do the best they can to avoid transmission, but not to freak out. Just treat it like a Chicken Pox breakout from when I was a kid.

Yep, kids are "living in fear of being shot in school" even though deaths in school are extremely rare and kids are safer from being killed in school than at home. Safer than outside ether, and much safer than when driving a car (wrt car accident deaths).

Kids are in fear of the "existential threat to the earth" caused by the "consensus" of a warming of 1 degree C over the next 100 years, even though there is absolutely zero ability to project weather changes that far into the future, much less into the next month. The as

Anxiety and depression are way up, so are associated prescriptions for psychoactive drugs.

Seems it's all just indoctrination to get them to follow the anti-gun, anti-energy mantra of the far left. Sadly, for a lot of young adults, it seems to be working.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ironbutt, if ever you do that again in this forum, you will regret it.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schools and Universities are free to make their own decisions about quarantine and closing. There is no question that there are different standards.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've been tracking the CDC death totals and charting them daily for a while now. The data is clear, the US is essentially now back to normal weekly death totals. We can come out of quarantine 100%.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Our mountain community is still under crud restrictions as far as schools, banks, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, athletic and entertainment events, etc. Most stores require or strongly urge masks.

The ironic part is our county has only had 2,400 cases reported since the beginning and 70 deaths, many of which may have been over reported. It's one of, if not the lowest effected counties in AZ.

As a comparison, Maricopa County (metro Phoenix) is 9,224 square miles with over 4,000,000 residents while our county is 8,128 square miles with 235,000 residents, but we all lumped into the crud restrictions.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
They think they have the President again because of the Woodward interview where he said he wanted to play it down. Yeah, that's what leaders do. I'm so freaking sick of this crap.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I've been tracking the CDC death totals and charting them daily for a while now. The data is clear, the US is essentially now back to normal weekly death totals. We can come out of quarantine 100%.

and yet n one is talking about that...they're all talking about an 'October Surprise' and I imagine if one doesn't magically appear, one will be fabricated

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
To be more clear about the total death numbers, we should expect to see somewhere between 52k and 60k deaths per week from now until the end of the year. The weekly deaths tend to start raising around this time year over year.

Of those total deaths, 2-3% are COVID right now. The high point of % was in the middle of April when 20-25% of the deaths were due to Covid. It will be interesting to see if that 2-3% stays low as we get closer to the end of the year. But right now, we are basically right at the 5 year average for weekly deaths this time of year.

The data would certainly indicate the total COVID death count is fairly accurate, but it also indicates very few people are dying from it anymore.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Well, Los Angeles has banned Halloween.

LA County has banned door-to-door trick or treating, Halloween parties with friends, Haunted houses, carnivals, etc.

But online parties are allowed.

https://fox59.com/newsfeed-now...ict-halloween-rules/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post