SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, you don't have to be quiet but you do need to avoid disingenuous behavior, such as singling out one physician whom you find to be an oddball. Again, I ask you- was she the only one standing up there? Is she the only MD saying hydroxychloroquine is shown to be effective for COVID-19? Let's not play games.

No, and I will gladly admit that. I am not trying to play games. There are MDs on both sides of the issue, which is why I am not convinced yet. I need to see that double-blind 'gold standard,' where potential biases are eliminated, at least in the data (not necessarily the conclusions).

(As an aside, I am interested to hear the MDs on this site's views. I know one has posted in this thread, but it might have been a while.).

To me, it is an interesting discussion, and I will (and do) listen to both sides until I make up my mind.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I need to see a double blind gold standard study showing that closing schools and churches will save us all.

Anyone seen those studies?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
TAllen01, I'm no doc,but if you've followed it, it's not as you describe. There were earlier studies that administered the drug to late stage severe cases. At that point it has little effect. Other studies that gave it early or even before positive testing came back had excellent results, especially when combined with Z-pak and Zinc.

Look into it a little further, the more recent studies have been more favorable, especially when administered at right time and with the additional medicine, and zinc.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look into it a little further, the more recent studies have been more favorable, especially when administered at right time and with the additional medicine, and zinc.

Here's the most recent study I read, from the NEJM. It was not encouraging or favorable. Again, none are the gold standard (yet), but this was published within the last seven days, so to say more recent studies are more favorable is not accurate, at least based on the data I am seeing.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're welcome to doubt whatever you like. I know how this is going to turn out with hydroxychloroquine and all the double blind double talk in the world isn't going to change it.

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
quote:

Here's the most recent study I read, from the NEJM. It was not encouraging or favorable. Again, none are the gold standard (yet), but this was published within the last seven days, so to say more recent studies are more favorable is not accurate, at least based on the data I am seeing.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

I only read a few paragraphs, but it stated people who were on oxygen and people that had been confirmed for 14 days or less. The stuff I have read was using it at onset of symptoms, and in some cases before even receiving confirmed test results. That is the distinction.

Think about it like a car. Let's say you notice white smoke coming out of your tailpipes and you get a check engine light that comes on. Person A immediately takes it to the shop and gets a new head gasket and fluids changed, car survives. Person B waits 14 days then takes it in, shop says it's too late, your head is warped, you need a new engine, or maybe it just blows up on the side of the road on day 13.

Antivirals work very similar, when there is a low viral count they are more effective, when it's to the point they are hooking you up to oxygen and there are billions of viruses floating around in your system they are less effective. The idea is to treat the problem before it wrecks your car/body.

ETA, this study left out one third of the treatment regime (Zinc). So it doesn't even apply to the information I was referencing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Japan, a model for how to handle this, is now having a resurge, or whateverthefuck it’s called now. They are blaming it on night life.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Hydroxychloroquine, what's behind the FDA revoking its approval for use in treating the Wuhan Flu? I get that some people may see some side effects, but isn't that the case for every single medicinal pharmaceutical item in existence?

Edit to clarify:

From EZ_B's post on the previous page -

"Third, concerns have been raised by the FDA and others about risks of cardiac arrhythmia, especially when hydroxychloroquine is given in combination with azithromycin. The FDA based its comments on data in its FDA Adverse Event Reporting System. This reporting system captured up to a thousand cases of arrhythmias attributed to hydroxychloroquine use. In fact, the number is likely higher than that, since the reporting system, which requires physicians or patients to initiate contact with the FDA, appreciably undercounts drug side effects.

But what the FDA did not announce is that these adverse events were generated from tens of millions of patient uses of hydroxychloroquine for long periods of time, often for the chronic treatment of lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Even if the true rates of arrhythmia are ten-fold higher than those reported, the harms would be minuscule compared to the mortality occurring right now in inadequately treated high-risk COVID-19 patients. This fact is proven by an Oxford University study of more than 320,000 older patients taking both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, who had arrhythmia excess death rates of less than 9/100,000 users, as I discuss in my May 27 paper cited above. A new paper in the American Journal of Medicine by established cardiologists around the world fully agrees with this."

As I read it, this means the FDA doesn't have any ground on which to ban the use of the drug, right?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This friggen guy again Roll Eyes

Doctor Fraudci will have us all in moon suits by Election Day. Trump clearly needs to find a way to rein in this snake and shut him up:

quote:

Masks Aren't Enough: Dr. Fauci Says People Should "Probably Use Eye Shields" To Protect Against COVID-19

Americans can't seem to handle wearing masks to stop the coronavirus. Now, imagine if the CDC changed its guidelines to also call for "eye protection" like medical goggles to stop the spread of the virus (and protect your neighbor, as well as yourself).

Well, Dr. Fauci is apparently preparing to do just that.

During an interview with ABC News, Dr. Fauci said Wednesday that he may soon advise Americans to wear 'eye protection' to avoid being infected by COVID-19 as deaths along the Sun Belt climb to record highs.

"If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it," the doctor said, before adding that it's not universally recommended, "but if you really want to be complete, you should probably use it if you can," he said.

Link

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I posted the link two pages back, but here is the full article from the doctor from Yale.

quote:
The key to defeating COVID-19 already exists. We need to start using it | Opinion
Harvey A. Risch, MD, PhD
8-10 minutes

As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

On May 27, I published an article in the American Journal of Epidemiology (AJE) entitled, "Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk COVID-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis." That article, published in the world's leading epidemiology journal, analyzed five studies, demonstrating clear-cut and significant benefits to treated patients, plus other very large studies that showed the medication safety.

Physicians who have been using these medications in the face of widespread skepticism have been truly heroic. They have done what the science shows is best for their patients, often at great personal risk. I myself know of two doctors who have saved the lives of hundreds of patients with these medications, but are now fighting state medical boards to save their licenses and reputations. The cases against them are completely without scientific merit.

Since publication of my May 27 article, seven more studies have demonstrated similar benefit. In a lengthy follow-up letter, also published by AJE, I discuss these seven studies and renew my call for the immediate early use of hydroxychloroquine in high-risk patients. These seven studies include: an additional 400 high-risk patients treated by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, with zero deaths; four studies totaling almost 500 high-risk patients treated in nursing homes and clinics across the U.S., with no deaths; a controlled trial of more than 700 high-risk patients in Brazil, with significantly reduced risk of hospitalization and two deaths among 334 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine; and another study of 398 matched patients in France, also with significantly reduced hospitalization risk. Since my letter was published, even more doctors have reported to me their completely successful use.

My original article in the AJE is available free online, and I encourage readers—especially physicians, nurses, physician assistants and associates, and respiratory therapists—to search the title and read it. My follow-up letter is linked there to the original paper.

Beyond these studies of individual patients, we have seen what happens in large populations when these drugs are used. These have been "natural experiments." In the northern Brazil state of Pará, COVID-19 deaths were increasing exponentially. On April 6, the public hospital network purchased 75,000 doses of azithromycin and 90,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine. Over the next few weeks, authorities began distributing these medications to infected individuals. Even though new cases continued to occur, on May 22 the death rate started to plummet and is now about one-eighth what it was at the peak.

A reverse natural experiment happened in Switzerland. On May 27, the Swiss national government banned outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19. Around June 10, COVID-19 deaths increased four-fold and remained elevated. On June 11, the Swiss government revoked the ban, and on June 23 the death rate reverted to what it had been beforehand. People who die from COVID-19 live about three to five weeks from the start of symptoms, which makes the evidence of a causal relation in these experiments strong. Both episodes suggest that a combination of hydroxychloroquine and its companion medications reduces mortality and should be immediately adopted as the new standard of care in high-risk patients.

Why has hydroxychloroquine been disregarded?

First, as all know, the medication has become highly politicized. For many, it is viewed as a marker of political identity, on both sides of the political spectrum. Nobody needs me to remind them that this is not how medicine should proceed. We must judge this medication strictly on the science. When doctors graduate from medical school, they formally promise to make the health and life of the patient their first consideration, without biases of race, religion, nationality, social standing—or political affiliation. Lives must come first.

Second, the drug has not been used properly in many studies. Hydroxychloroquine has shown major success when used early in high-risk people but, as one would expect for an antiviral, much less success when used late in the disease course. Even so, it has demonstrated significant benefit in large hospital studies in Michigan and New York City when started within the first 24 to 48 hours after admission.

In fact, as inexpensive, oral and widely available medications, and a nutritional supplement, the combination of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin or doxycycline, and zinc are well-suited for early treatment in the outpatient setting. The combination should be prescribed in high-risk patients immediately upon clinical suspicion of COVID-19 disease, without waiting for results of testing. Delays in waiting before starting the medications can reduce their efficacy.

Third, concerns have been raised by the FDA and others about risks of cardiac arrhythmia, especially when hydroxychloroquine is given in combination with azithromycin. The FDA based its comments on data in its FDA Adverse Event Reporting System. This reporting system captured up to a thousand cases of arrhythmias attributed to hydroxychloroquine use. In fact, the number is likely higher than that, since the reporting system, which requires physicians or patients to initiate contact with the FDA, appreciably undercounts drug side effects.

But what the FDA did not announce is that these adverse events were generated from tens of millions of patient uses of hydroxychloroquine for long periods of time, often for the chronic treatment of lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Even if the true rates of arrhythmia are ten-fold higher than those reported, the harms would be minuscule compared to the mortality occurring right now in inadequately treated high-risk COVID-19 patients. This fact is proven by an Oxford University study of more than 320,000 older patients taking both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, who had arrhythmia excess death rates of less than 9/100,000 users, as I discuss in my May 27 paper cited above. A new paper in the American Journal of Medicine by established cardiologists around the world fully agrees with this.

In the future, I believe this misbegotten episode regarding hydroxychloroquine will be studied by sociologists of medicine as a classic example of how extra-scientific factors overrode clear-cut medical evidence. But for now, reality demands a clear, scientific eye on the evidence and where it points. For the sake of high-risk patients, for the sake of our parents and grandparents, for the sake of the unemployed, for our economy and for our polity, especially those disproportionally affected, we must start treating immediately.

Harvey A. Risch, MD, PhD, is professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health.

https://www.newsweek.com/key-d...g-it-opinion-1519535

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My take on this from all the infromation that we have had the past six month is that the vast majority get the virus and are either asymptomatic or very light to moderate effect (yeah, much like a flu virus).

People that get very sick and recover, and those that do not, are of two classes. The first, co-morbidity that results in poor immune system response, and those that end up with "cytokine storm".

And both of those are also similar in those who get an influenza illness.

Then the issue of what measures are taken to "try to save" the patients.

In many cases, those intubated and given all the drug treatments, may be (as Skins metaphore explains) waiting too long to address the problem.

And that is also, pretty much a "two part" issue as most people either are not seen early onset, because of the already limited health care due to shut downs and only prepping to deal with "run amok overwhelmed healthcare services" (my translation; part of the failure of over reaction to hype and the subsequent lack of people and resources, that we otherwise would have had).

And lastly, the "spike of cases" is simply the greater number of people being tested, and the natural result of those tests revealing an already existing hard number (that were unknown before all the testing).

The destruction to the economy and the continual toll this charade has resulted in, is most disturbing.

Greater still, is people who truly still believe that this is a "population killer", and the measures taken, currently being (re-)implemented and further (where does it stop) measures that are likely, providing the "power" to continue to fetter freedom and liberty.

Fear. It is a most powerful drug.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish we were giving IQ tests as frequently as covid19 tests, just so we can have a clear idea of how many morons we truly have.

Hydroxychloroquine, as stated, has been given to millions of people to treat over a dozen different diseases including malaria for decades. In sub Sahara, we use it to treat all kinds of tropical diseases. It is not an unknown drug.

What is frustrating, is that it has become a political tool. I expect it to be in Africa with all the NGOs pushing their agendas, but not here. Experienced MDs are stating what is working for them and now they are getting character assassinated? Who cares if they believe in flying spaghetti monster, Santa Claus, voodoo, or space monkeys?

There is no magic bullet for migraines, and there certainly won't be for this. I swear this virus is turning into Marsha, Marsha, Marsha for some people.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
>> Why has hydroxychloroquine been disregarded?

The answer to that question is glaringly obvious—because Trump encouraged its use from the start.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
>> Why has hydroxychloroquine been disregarded?

The answer to that question is glaringly obvious—because Trump encouraged its use from the start.

Exactly. This bullshit won’t die down until after Election Day.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I need to see a double blind gold standard study showing that closing schools and churches will save us all.

Anyone seen those studies?
That is a B-E-A-Utiful response!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
TAllen01

Just one quick question for ya:

Do you think we'd be hearing anything about a new vaccine if nobody (and I mean not one fucking person ever) was ever going to make money off of it? Answer honestly and I think you'll have all the reason in the world for hydroxychloroquine + Z-pak and Zinc not "being an effective treatment"! Unass your head. The amount of money in play here is enough to create nations or at least control the politics of nations like ours.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just got a news ticker stating Herman Cain died after being hospitalized for coronavirus.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
sad news

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...le-with-coronavirus/

Herman Cain – our boss, our friend, like a father to so many of us – has passed away. He’s entering the presence of the Savior he’s served as an associate minister at Antioch Baptist Church in Atlanta for, and preparing for his reward.

Let me deal with some of the particulars of the last few weeks. We knew when he was first hospitalized with COVID-19 that this was going to be a rough fight. He had trouble breathing and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. We all prayed that the initial meds they gave him would get his breathing back to normal, but it became clear pretty quickly that he was in for a battle.

We didn’t release detailed updates on his condition to the public or to the media because neither his family nor we thought there was any reason for that. There were hopeful indicators, including a mere five days ago when doctors told us they thought he would eventually recover, although it wouldn’t be quick. We were relieved to be told that, and passed on the news via Herman’s social media. And yet we also felt real concern about the fact that he never quite seemed to get to the point where the doctors could advance him to the recovery phase.

Cain, who tested positive for the virus earlier this month, was in a high-risk category due to his status as a stage 4 colon cancer survivor

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This is a repost

this video is long, but it is one of the best descriptions of COVIDS-19 and a particular way to
treat it.

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Re: Herman Cain, RIP

Of course the narrative now is “he died because he went to a Trump rally and didn’t wear a mask“ SMDH Roll Eyes

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post