SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Here's something to consider when the MSM is screaming about the number of cases:

In recent days, the US has performed roughly 600,000 tests PER DAY

One month ago, it was 400,000

Two months ago, 200,000

Three months ago, 100,000

You think that might have some impact on the "spike"?

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

Of course!
The more you test, the more you find someone giving a reason for the panic to continue.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
What’s up with the emergency alert to stay home in Bexar county Texas?

Their judge has said that case numbers are too high (10% + of the population) and now everyone has to wear a mask and stay home.....we are getting high numbers in Bell county but are only following the governors recommendation ie masks and restaurants are back down to 50%.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Mr. bendable...I know you got a new watch or something that you're using to post.

I thought bendable was posting in haiku.
I thought he always did.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
What’s up with the emergency alert to stay home in Bexar county Texas?

Their judge has said that case numbers are too high (10% + of the population) and now everyone has to wear a mask and stay home.....we are getting high numbers in Bell county but are only following the governors recommendation ie masks and restaurants are back down to 50%.

Yeee-hah. Waiting to see what happens with the state Republican convention - which will be held in Dem-controlled Houston/Harris County in the middle of next month. Then again, Austin/Travis County didn't wind up screwing with the count/senate district conventions yesterday.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
First off I still don't believe we are able to control what this virus is going to eventually do, spread everywhere. This is why I don't like the idea of staying in shutdown, it'll be here when we come out.

Further it makes sense that the community spread will roll across the country over a long period of time as people travel, shop, and interact, even just to do essential things. That is all I think we're seeing.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Cases rising (Of course case are rising. More testing is occurring) while the death rate is dropping proves that herd immunity works and shutting down was a mistake. What should’ve happened is what a lot of us were saying in March and April. Keep the elderly, medically fragile and those with weakened immune systems (age-related or medically induced or otherwise) home while the rest of us go about our business.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Show me the post at 7:46,
They way
You would format it

In your perfect world, please
"In your perfect world..." Huh. Man...I wasn't trying to be a dick. And it's your 7:56 post...

Proposed formatting??

Ok...I will admit it, I was totally wrong. I said earlier that it (covid) would not be taken seriously, untill The death toll reached 1.4 million people. I waited until now to " They say " that the toll is now 2.7 million dead. But I don't think that ,that count can be totally accurate. It might very well be up to 300,000 off, One way or the other

But I still think that most Americans could make a considerable difference, If they chose to make Some other choices.

versus:

Ok
I will admit it,
I was totally wrong

I said earlier that it ( covid) would not be taken seriously,
untill
The death toll reached 1.4 million people.

I waited until now to
" They say "
that the toll is now
2.7 million dead.

But I don't think that ,that count can be totally accurate.

It might very well be up to
300,000 off,
One way or the other

But I still think that most Americans
could make a considerable difference,
If they chose to make

Some other choices.

I realize I'm a mere neophyte on here, but Jeezus Christmas...I wasn't trying to piss in your Wheaties. Roll Eyes At the end of the day, IDGAFF. Peace out...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Cases rising (Of course case are rising. More testing is occurring) while the death rate is dropping proves that herd immunity works and shutting down was a mistake.
From chellim1's post we have the biggest lie of omission we're not hearing from the media, our experts, or the lying politicos....
quote:
On Saturday, Johns Hopkins University said the total number of cases in the country had risen to 2,505,593.

While some of the rise was down to more extensive testing, the rate of positive tests in some areas is also increasing.

Health officials estimate the true number of cases is likely to be 10 times higher than the confirmed total. The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said up to 20 million Americans may have been infected.

My bet, the number of cases is even higher than CDC estimates it is (how many times has a government agency ever been right on their estimates). In the meantime, the media is telling all of us to pee our bloomers, hide inside, and wear a hazmat suit everywhere we go because of this recent uptick in 'confirmed' cases in a few states, when the reality is the virus has spread much, much, farther then anyone is admitting. Though a huge lie of omission likely to insure the sheep don't stampede, this is also an enormous positive because it 1) means the mortality rate of this virus is substantially lower than we've been told, and 2) herd immunity 'is' occurring in large numbers (which should have been the goal in the first place).

One thing has amazed me throughout this thread. The intellect and reasoning here is exponentially higher than that found in our self-acclaimed betters in government or the media.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
This would suggest that increase in testing, alone, does not fully account for the increase in recorded cases in Texas.

https://sph.uth.edu/dept/bads/covid19-dashboard

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m afraid college football is not going to happen!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ And if true that graph proves even more firmly that herd immunity works and also that this virus isn’t as fearsome as they say it is. Think about it.

If it didn’t there would be people laying in hospital beds out in the hospital parking lots all over the country right now. Especially in states like Texas, Florida and Georgia.

———————————————

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys take it easy on bendable, please. bendable has his own way of expressing himself but he's a good guy and he is welcome in this forum, always.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My county continues to have a low hospitalization rate (2.44%) and low fatality rate (1.84%). Additionally, we have adequate bed space and ICU bed space so we're taking in COVID patients from other counties in the Houston metropolitan area (87% of COVID beds aren't residents).

Additionally, 11.2% of all of our COVID tests have been performed in the last week (i.e. testing increasing). Only negative is that percent of positive tests went from 6.5% to 7.3%.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I see that zipriderson is nearing completion of his one-act play, Six Degrees of Incubation. I hear that the plan was to open it off-off-Broadway, but it turns out that no one is willing to audition, since each of them may have been in contact with someone who may have been in contact with someone who may have been in contact with someone who may have a head cold.

I do hear, though, that Kevin Bacon is available...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^ And if true that graph proves even more firmly that herd immunity works and also that this virus isn’t as fearsome as they say it is. Think about it.

If it didn’t there would be people laying in hospital beds out in the hospital parking lots all over the country right now. Especially in states like Texas, Florida and Georgia.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/

That's the "Texas Medical Center," the main huge hospital complex near downtown (about 20 hospitals) in Houston.

Also... herd immunity is what happens when almost no one gets a disease anymore because almost everyone has already had it (or been vaccinated, or otherwise had immunity conferred). If you have a bunch more (or even just as many) people getting the disease all of a sudden, herd immunity isn't doing anything for you yet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
.......And no where near everyone has been tested. If you could test everyone in the country at once, there will be millions and millions of people that will test positive (cases). Most people could have already had COVID. The fact is the hospitalizations aren’t as high as people said they would be RIGHT NOW.

Your doom and gloom charts aren’t working. Later. Time to go dine with a lady friend of mine in a packed restaurant.

———————————————

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Also... herd immunity is what happens when almost no one gets a disease anymore because almost everyone has already had it (or been vaccinated, or otherwise had immunity conferred). If you have a bunch more (or even just as many) people getting the disease all of a sudden, herd immunity isn't doing anything for you yet.
Read my last post that addresses just this. Herd immunity is happening (the CDC numbers and commentary all but prove it) virtually behind the scenes of all the gloom and doom, sky is falling, BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Read my last post that addresses just this. Herd immunity is happening (the CDC numbers and commentary all but prove it) virtually behind the scenes of all the gloom and doom, sky is falling, BS.

Even if 50 million people in the US have already had it, that probably isn't enough for meaningful herd immunity (but would be solid evidence that we probably aren't going to end up with a healthcare crisis).

The required immune proportion of the population for herd immunity to kick in depends on the disease in question, but for the flu, for example, it's something like 50-70% (the 50% number in the article is based on R0=2, although the article also lists the R0 for flu as being 2-3. R0=3 gives a 67% threshold). For something like measles, which is horrifically contagious, it is more like 90%.

https://www.quantamagazine.org...d-immunity-20180205/

We can do a back-of-the-envelope sanity check on the herd immunity percentage for flu by considering that in the US, about 40% of people get vaccinated each year, and about 10-20% of the population gets the flu each year, meaning at the end of a typical flu season, around 50-60% of the population has been either vaccinated or infected.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the theory of herd immunity rely heavily on certainty of antibodies preventing recurrence over the long term? IOW not just a few weeks or months?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Herd Immunity" would be 70%-80% of the population already had it.

Everything now is about justifying "What they did" not what the virus "Is Doing".

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post