SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Para you think that’s bad, our regional AP guy told us in a meeting this week that no one was exempt from the 6 feet rule. I asked, “So a couple, two friends/roommates, parent and child...no exceptions?” Correct, no exceptions. I told them I’m not saying a damn thing to anyone who arrives in the same car. Fucking looney tunes dude.

Rural King is making EVERYBODY take a cart (married couple - two carts). No one is allowed to enter without one!

Unfuckingbelieveable, some of these companies deserve to close for their stupidity!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Chicago mayor's executive order grants coronavirus benefits to illegal immigrants

These people need to be hunted down and deported. Instead, we give them "benefits"! Mad

Different people have different approaches to the problem of “illegal aliens taking up our free shit.” Some desperately want to get rid of the illegal aliens. I’m not averse to that, but I think a more important solution would be to get rid of the free shit. I much prefer Teddy Roosevelt’s “Root hog or die.” approach to Franklin Delano’s “Here, have some free shit.” approach.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The orders they are issuing are completely arbitrary and without justification. Can any of them back it up? Show me something. What's the science? They are power hungry, and that's it.

Not that it's any better, but blind risk aversion can often play out in exactly the same way. The only real difference is that those who panic in a state of ignorance are less focused than those who are thoughtlessly ambitious, so the potential for confusion resulting in catastrophe is higher.

Either way, though, there's no question that someone needs to find a civil, legal, etc., way of smacking them over the nose with a rolled up newspaper until they stop peeing all over the carpet.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
...This ass Fauci and some others are saying their needs to be a government ID card issued showing "virus free status" and technology to track individuals...

You are already being tracked by your phone's GPS data and that is being used by State and Federal governments to see if people are staying home or not. It's been on the news several times in the form of rankings on what states are doing the best and it is usually cited.

Which is why my phone gets left at home now.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Just turn it off.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Just turn it off.
Been proven time and again Google has work arounds for that and can still fairly accurately track your movement.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Just turn it off.

Why even care? Someone has to actually LOOK at your movements to decipher what/where etc. Unless you're a career criminal or in the witness protection program, why should you care......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Denmark and Sweden are running this experiment. Similar cultures and economies. So it will be proven one way or another.

It's interesting to follow the Nordic countries overall, with Sweden as the control group with little government restrictions. Though it's probably too early for a proper comparison, since Sweden has also tested a lot less relative to population size. Per million inhabitants:

Sweden - 5,416 tests, 959 cases, 86 deaths

Norway - 22,720 tests, 1,165 cases, 21 deaths

Denmark - 11,176 tests, 1,005 cases, 43 deaths

Finland - 7,436 tests, 500 cases, 9 deaths

Note that Finland has been hailed as being well-prepared for the crisis, any crisis, due to their decades-long defensive posture towards Russia which they never really gave up. They weren't caught with insufficient stocks of protective gear, for one thing.

On governments exploiting the crisis to introduce general repressive measures, Vice News have a look around the word. It's not a pretty picture, even if you ignore that the article seems to have a bit of an obsession with gay rights in particular.

quote:
These 30 Regimes Are Using Coronavirus to Repress Their Citizens

Dog cages, crackdowns, censorship, surveillance, expanded police powers... Authoritarians are having a moment.

by David Gilbert

Apr 9 2020, 5:34pm

As most governments around the world confront the unprecedented scale of the coronavirus crisis and what they need to do to protect their citizens and economies, dozens of others are seizing on the moment as an opportunity to crack down and consolidate their power.

Authoritarian leaders from Belarus to Venezuela have all looked to take advantage of the outbreak and the ensuing chaos to give themselves extraordinary new powers, while elections get delayed or forced to go ahead, depending on what suits the incumbent rulers. Security forces have been empowered to conduct brutal crackdowns, free speech has been censored, privacy has been eroded.

“Governments around the world, whether they're full-blown authoritarian, like China and Russia, or countries that are on the cusp of becoming less free, places like Hungary and the Philippines, are exploiting the crisis to expand their power and undermine human rights,” Allie Funk, a research analyst for technology and democracy at Freedom House, told VICE News. “And as the pandemic gets worse and reaches a bunch of other countries in the global south, [we’ll see] that this is only the tip of the iceberg.”

Western countries are also grappling with the need to loosen restrictions on privacy in order to track the spread of coronavirus through surveillance apps that in normal times would be outrageous.

[...]

https://www.vice.com/en_us/art...press-their-citizens

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know where to put this, since it's related, I'll leave it here.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...pfi3i62p4-story.html

Rest In Peace, Cliff.

I'm gonna miss ya! You and that always present grin. Even in a bad mood, you always had that grin. Your son and daughter will turn out to be good Cops, we'll see to that.

Please don't ask how he got the nickname "Sexual Chocolate" that's a secret that only about 20 of the "old school" 005th Dist guys know, and I'll be damned if I'm telling my part in that story. I worked with Cliff years ago back in the "Wild-Wild" and "The Gardens". Good Man and a good Cop.

Caught it while working as a Sgt in Area Central Homicide.

Until Valhalla, my friend.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Unless you're a career criminal or in the witness protection program, why should you care......

It's called freedom.
Give a little here, give a little there, pretty soon you'll have none.

Very little resistance is being given to all the nonsense going on around us.
If this whole mess hasn't opened some eyes, nothing will.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Why even care? Someone has to actually LOOK at your movements to decipher what/where etc. Unless you're a career criminal or in the witness protection program, why should you care......

I guess you're Okay with the Patriot Act and the sham FISA courts too. You know...'cause it don't affect anyone unless they're career criminals or some such stupidity. Roll Eyes

That complacency is exactly how freedom dies. I tried to have a rational discussion with a liberal (is that even possible) about this whole bullshit mess. I was trying to explain that giving up freedom in the "hopes" of safety is a major fallacy. Her retort was that all I cared about were my "freedumbs".....People that think like that are so retarded and I have no use for them in my country. Please don't be like her.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang CPD, losing a friend and a good guy sucks Frown RIP Cliff. Sending good thoughts to everyone that knew Cliff.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Not real sure how the state representatives can stop these crazy governors. They can pass all the laws they want but the governor still has to sign them, No? I think the only solution is thru the courts.

I haven't seen any one way aisles in super markets yet around here. They do have tape on the floor at the checkouts and plexiglass between you and the cashiers, that's about it. I was at a store yesterday and not even half the people in there were wearing masks. I didn't see anyone wearing gloves as some have mentioned.

Actually, most of the businesses around here are still open. All of the Farm & Garden stores are open, the hardware stores are open and the big box stores are all open and I saw O'Reillys is open. My daughter was layed off for three weeks but she has been called back to work half days now. She works for a paint and flooring supply company. All the restaurants are closed but some of them have a curb side take-out available the fast food places have a booming drive thru. The wife's pedicure place is closed and she is still in mourning over that. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And now for those who are still interested about the disease itself, a Review article from The Wall Street Journal.

===================================================

The Bats Behind The Pandemic

From Ebola to Covid-19, many of the deadliest diseases to emerge in recent years have the same animal source.

BY MATT RIDLEY

RaTG13 is the name, rank and serial number of an individual horseshoe bat of the species Rhinolophus affinis, or rather of a sample of its feces collected in 2013 in a cave in Yunnan, China. The sample was collected by hazmat-clad scientists from the Institute of Virology in Wuhan that year. Stored away and forgotten until January this year, the sample from the horseshoe bat contains the virus that causes Covid-19.

The scientists were mostly sampling a very similar species with slightly shorter wings, called Rhinolophus sinicus , in a successful search for the origin of the virus responsible for the SARS epidemic of 2002-03. That search had alarming implications, which were largely ignored.

In Shitou Cave, south of Kunming, the capital of Yunnan, they found viruses in the bats’ droppings and anal swabs that were more similar to human SARS than anything found in palm civets, the small mammals that until then were presumed to be the source of human infection. Back in the laboratory, they found that one of the viruses from bat droppings, called WIV1, could thrive in monkey and human cells specially engineered to activate the gene for ACE2 receptors, the lock to which a coronavirus’s spike protein can fit as a key. This suggested that people could catch SARS directly from a bat dropping.

Then in 2016, Ralph Baric and colleagues at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill showed that the same bat virus could infect live mice that had been engineered to express the human gene for the ACE2 receptor. The virus was “poised for human emergence,” as the title of Dr. Baric’s paper put it.

When Covid-19 broke out, attention focused on pangolins, mammals often called scaly anteaters. Early analyses of the pangolin version of the virus seemed to indicate it was even more closely related to the human version than the RaTG13 bat sample was. The illegal pangolin trade for traditional Chinese medicine brings people into contact with sick animals. Just over a year ago, 21 live Malayan pangolins destined for sale in China were intercepted by anti-smuggling officers in Guangdong. Despite the best efforts of a local wildlife rescue center, 16 died with swollen, flooded lungs, rich in coronaviruses.

The role of pangolins in the spread of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, remains unclear. A closer look at more of the Sars-CoV-2 genome, published last week by Maciej Boni at Penn State University and David Robertson at Glasgow University, together with Chinese and European colleagues, finds that human versions of the virus are more closely related to the RaTG13 horseshoe bat sample from the cave than they are to the known pangolin versions. It is not yet possible to tell whether the virus went from bat to pangolin to people, or from bat to pangolin and bat to people in parallel. Significantly, the same analysis shows that the most recent common ancestor of the human virus and the RaTG13 virus lived at least 40 years ago. So it is unlikely that the cave in Yunnan (a thousand miles from Wuhan) is where the first infection happened or that the culprit bat was taken from that cave to Wuhan to be eaten or experimented on. Rather, it is probable that somewhere much closer to Wuhan, there is another colony of bats carrying the same kind of virus. Unless other evidence emerges, it thus looks like a horrible coincidence that China’s Institute of Virology, a high-security laboratory where human cells were being experimentally infected with bat viruses, happens to be in Wuhan, the origin of today’s pandemic.

Bats are sold in markets and supplied directly to restaurants throughout China and southeast Asia, but no direct evidence of their sale in Wuhan’s wet market has come to light. Also, horseshoe bats, which are much smaller than the tastier fruit bats, are generally not among the species eaten. The significance of the Yunnan cave sample is that it shows the bat virus didn’t need to recombine with viruses in other specome cies in a market to be infectious to people. The role of the wet markets may be that other animals get infected there and produce much higher loads of virus than the bats would, amplifying the infection.

All over Asia and Africa human beings encounter horseshoe bats, any one of which could be carrying a virus that could start an epidemic if amplified in a market or similar setting. Bats have supplied most of the dangerous new diseases of the past two decades. The natural reservoir of rabies is in bats, especially in the Americas. Ebola, Marburg and other highly dangerous viruses from bats, mainly in Africa. The Hendra and Nipah viruses are caught from fruit bats and have caused lethal but small outbreaks in south Asia and Australia. And most coronaviruses seem to originate in bats, including SARS and MERS, a frequently fatal illness that people in the Middle East began catching from camels in 2012, the camels having picked it up from bats.

There are good reasons why bats spread so many viruses. Bats are long-lived mammals, like us, and live in large crowds, like us—ideal for spreading respiratory infections in particular. One bat roost in Texas houses 20 million bats at certain times of year, a concentration of mammals paralleled only by people in cities. There are lots of different species—one-quarter of all mammal species are bats—so they have lots of different viruses. And they fly, carrying diseases long distances, allowing viruses to indulge in “host-shifting” between bat species. This especially suits viruses that can “recombine” with related strains, like coronaviruses.

It is not yet clear why horseshoe bats, in particular, are so infested with coronaviruses. These are average-size bats, distinguished by large, pointed ears and weird little sonar dishes known as nose-leafs, the outer part of which are often shaped like horseshoes. There are at least 100 species, many of which look very alike. Absent from the Americas, they are found all over the tropics of the Old World and in some warm temperate regions. They seem to be fond of living in caves and gathering in large aggregations.

In a paper published in February last year, Patrick Woo and colleagues at Hong Kong University surveyed the coronaviruses found in bats and came to a prescient conclusion: “Bat–animal and bat–human interactions, such as the presence of live bats in wildlife wet markets and restaurants in Southern China, are important for interspecies transmission of [coronaviruses] and may lead to devastating global outbreaks.”

We had fair warning with Ebola, Hendra, Nipah, MERS and SARS, and the Yunnan cave discovery in 2013 should have sounded a loud alarm. Even when this pandemic is over, others are possible. Bats live for up to 30 years and don’t seem to suffer much in the way of symptoms from coronaviruses, so bat number RaTG13 may well still be alive.

Mr. Ridley is a member of the House of Lords and the author of many books, including ”How Innovation Works,” which will be published in May.

LINK

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
In regard to the vented patients increased rate of death.

(Definitely correct me if I’m wrong with the above statement)

Are they dying because they’re on a vent?

Or are they dying because they have more severe symptoms aka. Got it bad...(which would explain the vent to give them a hand breathing).

This video of another doc in NYC may have ready been posted here, but in case not he theorizes that putting people on ventilator’s at the ‘assumed’ correct settings for similar conditions may actually be causing more harm than good in treating the Chinese Virus.

The video is probably about a week old because the estimated number of deaths that he cites was the ~200K figure.

Dr. Cameron Kyle-Sydell

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

This is absolutely false.
A virus particle is so small, take a marble and toss it between telephone poles down a country road.
That's how far apart the fibers are to a virus.
Now drop a basket ball into a football stadium. That's how small a virus is to a cell.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And now for those who are still interested about the disease itself, a Review article from The Wall Street Journal.

===================================================

The Bats Behind The Pandemic

In Shitou Cave, south of Kunming, the capital of Yunnan, they found viruses in the bats’ droppings and anal swabs

Bat poop and anal swabs from Shitou Cave, eh?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
...This ass Fauci and some others are saying their needs to be a government ID card issued showing "virus free status" and technology to track individuals...

You are already being tracked by your phone's GPS data and that is being used by State and Federal governments to see if people are staying home or not. It's been on the news several times in the form of rankings on what states are doing the best and it is usually cited.

My phone is an flip phone and it stays at home turned off about 99.9% of the time so they can track all they want to if they can. I never understood why so many have to be on a phone all day long wherever they are.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post