SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's easy to find a lot of products that aren't Chinese made, you just have to pay more for them. Generally they're much better quality, but try telling that to 8 out of 10 people.
Put a 75% tariff on all imports from China and watch that economic dynamic switch. People will adapt to the price differential over time and the country will be far better off for the move.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you cjevans

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smithfield Foods Closes US Pork Plant Due to CCP Virus

https://www.theepochtimes.com/...4e529a4846-238318549

CHICAGO—Smithfield Foods Inc, the world’s biggest pork processor, said on Thursday it is temporarily closing a plant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, because of the CCP virus, the latest disruption to the U.S. food supply chain from the outbreak.

The company will suspend operations in a large section of the pork plant on April 11 and completely shutter it on April 12 and April 13, after employees tested positive for the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as the novel coronavirus, according to a statement.

The plant has a total of 3,700 workers, Smithfield said. It supplies nearly 130 million servings of food per week, or about 18 million servings per day, in the United States, according to the company, which is owned by China’s WH Group Ltd.

Tyson Foods Inc said on Monday it closed a pork plant in Columbus Junction, Iowa, after more than 24 cases of COVID-19 involving employees at the facility. U.S. beef plants run by JBS USA and National Beef Packing Company have also shut.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Smithfield Foods Closes US Pork Plant Due to CCP Virus

Now that right there along with a few other plants closing might well send some illegals back to wherever they came from. I can't stand how many illegals these meat processors hire all around our country.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken said during a press conference Thursday that the big challenge will be communicating with employees, many of whom are from immigrant communities, about preventing the spread of the disease from home. He has been working with the Hispanic and Nepali communities on COVID-19 response.

Trouble communicating with employees in Sioux Falls SD? No speak english? A plant with 3700 employees and 80 have the virus.

Don't know how many of these folks are here illegally or not but I think it would be worth looking into. You have the virus and are here illegally out you go. Want your job back come back in the country legally.

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have noticed last evening while watching the tube, that COVID-19 has now hired its own advertising and media consulting service. Almost every commercial was from myriad companies telling me how they were helping me out during this difficult time. While I spend money with them, of course. Roll Eyes

The emails are nice. I'm so glad Behr Paints has my back on this. I've been unsubscribing from future emails.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If we can accomplish just two things as a result of this catastrophe: Drastically and I do mean drastically reduce the number of illegal aliens in this nation, and take all necessary steps to reduce our dependency on goods from the land of lying, thieving assholes known as China- if we can accomplish these two things, then, in the long run, all of this may turn out to be worth it.

We don’t agree on everything in this thread but I couldn’t possibly agree more with this statement. I despise China and truly hope this will cause America to limit our dealings with China. I also hope that this disaster reinforces our need to make more things ourselves and be more self reliant and not just substitute China for some other 3rd world source of cheap labor.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Even brainless twits can carry a nice rack.
Yep. All it takes is a credit card.

Thanks Para! Now I need a new keyboard!

Have a good one,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
True that. Also sick of every company from every website I've ever visited sending me a "heartfelt" email.

The only email I liked was Geico telling me about the 15% rebate on auto insurance for the next six months.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have noticed last evening while watching the tube, that COVID-19 has now hired its own advertising and media consulting service. Almost every commercial was from myriad companies telling me how they were helping me out during this difficult time. While I spend money with them, of course. Roll Eyes

The emails are nice. I'm so glad Behr Paints has my back on this. I've been unsubscribing from future emails.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Mark Levin reveals the questions he'd like the coronavirus task force to answer

https://www.foxnews.com/media/...tions-for-fauci-birx

"Life, Liberty & Levin" host Mark Levin told Fox News' "Hannity" Thursday night that he had a series of questions "that have been concerning me" for Drs. Deborah Birx and Anthony Fauci of the White House coronavirus task force.

"They tell you to hunker down. How long are we supposed to hunker down until?" asked Levin, who made clear that he was not questioning the sincerity of Fauci and Birx's efforts to fight the virus.

"What happens after we are done hunkering down?" Levin went on. "Doesn't that mean millions of people never had the virus because they successfully hunkered down? Doesn't that mean millions of people will be highly susceptible to getting it again or getting it the first time? They are not developing an immunity.

"Tens of millions of Americans, as a result of this mitigation that Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx are focused on, will not have developed any immunity to this."

Levin then directly addressed Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), questioning why he has been telling the public that coronavirus could be "seasonal."

"Don't you really mean mitigation today eliminates the herd immunity necessary for this society to kill the virus broadly once and for all?" the conservative radio host asked. "Isn't this why you say, 'In the future don't shake hands?' Aren't you really saying, 'In the future, don't touch surfaces, doorknobs, tabletops,' because you know that shaking hands is fine if both people have had the virus, but if somebody has it and somebody doesn't, that virus will be obviously traveling along?"

Levin added that the mitigation strategy doesn't account for the economic impact the virus is having, telling host Sean Hannity that the widespread assumption among politicians and medical experts is that the business community cannot "walk and chew gum at the same time."

"Why aren't you issuing guidelines to states and localities that help them [stay open]? There [are] thousands of small businesses, medium-sized businesses ... who can mitigate and remain open," he said.

Levin claimed that there will be great damage done to the U.S. as a whole if both medical experts and governors with strict restrictions watch as "ten [to] 25 percent unemployment" creeps up in their states.

"Are you tracking the number of people who might have lived but for the directive against so-called elective surgery? Individuals with heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.? What are the numbers of suicides so far in February and March that have occurred? We have no idea," the former Reagan Justice Department official added.

"How many people who had the coronavirus are living today because they used hydroxychloroquine? Are they tracking that? They have been very ambiguous about this, I think it's a perfectly good question."

Turning to Birx's much-publicized infection modeling, Levin said he wanted to ask the former Army physician if she has been using the same model from the beginning of the contagion.

"You've said in the course of 20 days that 1.5 to 2.1 million people could have died without mitigation," he said. "A week ago you said 100,000 to 240,000. Now around 60,000. There's something wrong with the model, not just the data. And you say this is due to mitigation, that's one of the reasons that has come down significantly. Maybe so."

However, Levin noted that Trump and his task force are not responsible for restricting commerce beyond issuing social distancing recommendations, including the avoidance of gatherings of more than ten people.

"To be clear," Levin said, "President Trump hasn't shut a single business, the governors did."

Earlier this week, Levin slammed Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf, whose strict stay-at-home order led to a 19-year-old woman getting a ticket for more than $200 while taking a "Sunday Drive" near her home.

On "Hannity," Levin also addressed so-called "Maduro Republicans & Democrats" in Congress who are utilizing deficit spending in order to help out-of-work Americans.

"Can you name one country, today or in the past, that has grown and created jobs through massive deficit spending?" he asked. "I can name 20 that haven't. Cut it out, get the people back to work, open up these states, these businesses can walk and chew gum at the same time, that's it!"

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
On "Hannity," Levin also addressed so-called "Maduro Republicans & Democrats" in Congress who are utilizing deficit spending in order to help out-of-work Americans.

"Can you name one country, today or in the past, that has grown and created jobs through massive deficit spending?" he asked. "I can name 20 that haven't. Cut it out, get the people back to work, open up these states, these businesses can walk and chew gum at the same time, that's it!"

Levin is right on the money, as usual.
Time to stop this BS.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
We all have things that annoy us. For me it’s noise, whether it’s barking dogs, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, etc. Something I can terminate with the click of a mouse button isn’t one of them. Plus I subscribe to very few companies’ emails in the first place. I am surprised by the number that I hear some people get.

Part of that tolerance today may be the knowledge that it’s nothing new for businesses to feel they can’t just ignore what’s happening in a bad situation. The Internet and emails didn’t exist in World War II, but every company that could think of some way that it was involved in the war effort made that clear in its advertising. Paint? “We help keep our boys’ weapons from rusting.” Cigarettes? “Our boys need a way to relax, plus we’ve changed the color of our packs to show our commitment.” Ammunition? “We’ve had to stop producing hunting ammunition and switch to supporting our boys and the war effort, but once it’s over, we’ll be back to making the best hunting loads you can buy.” Etc., etc., etc.

USAA has jumped on the insurance premium cut bandwagon, and that makes me happy regardless of why they decided to do it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This SAH bullshit will stop when the politicians start loosing revenue at a rate that outpaces the political power it provides, once they become targets in social media, television, and the accountants inform them that no moving violation tickets equals no money for cops overtime, cars, guns, and salaries, that people without jobs can't pay payroll taxes, and companies that close can't pay property, when sales taxes shift elsewhere, then the whole thing will collapse.

Talk about medical companies and gaming the situation for revenue there is no doubt they are doing this. The medical industry is seeing a cash influx and a short term window to keep the crisis extended, get all the dollars you can situation...

Not all Doctors are in the game, but Hospital organizations are not going to tell Dr. Smith that he can't put a ventilator on a dying patient with COVID19 because as Para said, money... That designation, a day or two on a ventilator and boom treble funds....

When politicians start seeing losing an election, or not having the funds to pay payroll. It's inevitable, like electric cars not paying road taxes, a change will have to occur,..

Look at a town in CT has told the police to start issuing COVID tickets for not social distancing, it appears to apply to public parks and places, wonder how long before it becomes an edict to issue the tickets to anyone anywhere for not complying with the SD laws. Since there are little or no MV tickets being issued, money gotta come from somewhere...

https://talkradio1080.iheart.c...al-distancing-rules/

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
My Marine son stationed at Twentynine Palms told me that San Bernardino County, Ca is requiring face masks on all persons outside their homes even when they are alone, or driving in their own cars, or risk a $1,000 fine and jail time.

This has gotten well beyond absurd and unconstitutional.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's easy to find a lot of products that aren't Chinese made, you just have to pay more for them. Generally they're much better quality, but try telling that to 8 out of 10 people.
Put a 75% tariff on all imports from China and watch that economic dynamic switch. People will adapt to the price differential over time and the country will be far better off for the move.

It doesn't even have to be this drastic. If 50% of Americans identified 5-6 household items made in China that are purchased on a recurring basis and shifted to an American made alternative - the economic impact to China would be profound.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...ls-lose-credibility/

The medical professionals on the White House Coronavirus Task Force appear to have lessened their reliance on academic models in favor of actual coronavirus data provided by state governments.

This move comes as the academic models that have brought about restrictive social distancing policies at the state and federal level continue to revise death projections downwards and vastly overstate hospitalization projections.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model that until recently was projecting 93,765 deaths has downgraded death projections to 60,415 as actual data has come in from several states. Meanwhile, the model’s hospitalizations projections continue to miss the mark by a wide margin and have yet to be corrected.

Dr. Deborah Birx of the White House Coronavirus Task Force said on Thursday that actual data on coronavirus testing and cases provided to the federal government by state governments around the country, rather than models, has become the driving force now in “understanding how to move forward together to really have a different future.

About 118,000 to 120,000 per day are being tested, so we’re way over the 750,000 per week currently.

in order to get tested you have to have symptoms , so this gives you an idea of the number of people who have symptoms who are not infected with coronavirus.

We’ve tested over 200,000 young people up to age 25. They have about 11 percent positivity rate.

Over half a million people between 25 and 45. They have a 17 percent positive rate.

nother nearly half a million people between 45 and 65, their positivity rate is 21 percent.

Another nearly 200,000 between 65 and 85, 22 percent positive.

The increased focus on actual coronavirus data by The White House Coronavirus Task Force is a likely indicator that a phased re-opening of the country will be based on state, county, and metro-specific data.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Why bringing back production of pharma to the US is important,

Link

Trump leans on India to export his unproven coronavirus drug of choice—but it’s China that determines supply
The U.S. wants to import more hydroxychloroquine, a common antimalarial drug that’s emerged as an unproven coronavirus treatment, but to do so, it will have to rely on a precarious supply chain from India and—ultimately—China.

On Saturday, India banned all foreign exports of hydroxychloroquine, after previous export restrictions left some exemptions. Hours later, U.S. President Donald Trump called India Prime Minister Narendra Modi to request that India release the drug to the U.S., and Trump on Monday warned of retaliation if India upheld the ban.

On Tuesday, India announced that it would partially ease restrictions on exports of the drug for humanitarian purposes once domestic demand had been met. India also lifted restrictions on Tuesday of exports of 24 pharmaceutical ingredients and medicines first imposed in early March.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
My Marine son stationed at Twentynine Palms told me that San Bernardino County, Ca is requiring face masks on all person outside their homes even when they are alone, or driving in the cars, or risk a $1,1000 fine.

This has gotten well beyond absurd and unconstitutional.

These threats of fines and arrests are increasingly irritating. The political class issues guidelines and such which is all fine. But if I want to go for a drive, is that hurting anything? And have I broken an ACTUAL LAW in doing so? Or more likely, has my elected official come down with a case of butt hurt because I’m not acting in a way he or she believes is best for me?

I’d love to see someone tell their local official to piss off and take them to court over their $200 non-compliance ticket.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The medical professionals on the White House Coronavirus Task Force appear to have lessened their reliance on academic models in favor of actual coronavirus data provided by state governments.

This move comes as the academic models that have brought about restrictive social distancing policies at the state and federal level continue to revise death projections downwards and vastly overstate hospitalization projections.

We shut down our entire economy over modeled projections that were wildly wrong....

For going on two months, we have relied on the statistical models of one individual, and tragically, the rest is history - literally:

...The mother of all modeling when it comes to COVID-19 is Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London. It was he who first said 500,000 people in England would die, and another 2.2 million in America unless drastic steps were taken. Then, when both countries panicked, he came out with a new, downgraded model (one that still overstates the reality). Ferguson was presented to the world as one of the world's foremost epidemiologists and modelers. Perhaps we should have learned more about him before accepting that claim. With help from Bill Steigerwald, Power Line has an expose that gives us more information about Ferguson.

It turns out that, in 2005, Ferguson had some predictions about the Bird Flu. He estimated 200,000,000 deaths worldwide. In fact, in the last 17 years, there've been 455 diagnosed Bird Flu deaths. But anyone is entitled to make one little 199,999,545-person error, right? Well, maybe. But what about two such errors?

Dr. Ferguson was equally off with his death projections for mad cow disease. He made big headlines in the United Kingdom by predicting that mad cow disease could kill between 50 and 50,000. Bill writes: "Millions of cows were slaughtered. But to be fair, his scientific 'model' was right. The death toll [is 178 to date]."

But wait! There's more. Ferguson also refuses to share his methodology with other scientists:

Several researchers have apparently asked to see Imperial's calculations, but Prof. Neil Ferguson, the man leading the team, has said that the computer code is 13 years old and thousands of lines of it "undocumented," making it hard for anyone to work with, let alone take it apart to identify potential errors. He has promised that it will be published in a week or so, but in the meantime reasonable people might wonder whether something made with 13-year-old, undocumented computer code should be used to justify shutting down the economy.

Ferguson is the modern equivalent of the man standing on the street corner, screaming at passers-by, "The end is near." Neither is correct; both are insane. And yet this is the man who has shut down America's economy...

https://www.americanthinker.co...have_been_wrong.html

Fauci and Birx continue to push the notion of keeping everyone locked down for extended periods to prevent a wave of illness and death that was and is never going to happen. As insidious and lethal as this particular strain of Asiatic plague is, the idea that social distancing and quarantines are what caused the models to be revised downward and slow the pace of infection and death is a myth. That's not to say that they did not prevent people from getting sick; naturally when sources of any contagion are not around to infect people, they won't come down with anything, be it a cold or the Chinese Virus. But there is now evidence to show that states that did not impose lock-downs are bending the curve down as much as those that did.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post