SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Dr Birx:

"The intent is right now if someone dies with COVID-19, we're counting that as a COVID-19 death," "There are other countries that if you had a pre-existing condition and let's say the virus caused you to go the ICU and then have a heart or kidney problem. Some countries are recording that as a heart issue or a kidney issue and not a COVID-19 death."
Good to know others countries are at least trying to get it right, and disgusted to once again look at the way we're handling this issue. As you are well aware, this one attribute is absolutely key to having any statistics that we can rely on regarding just how deadly this virus actually is. This is a textbook example of the concept of "garbage in, garbage out".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
No idea if this is correct, but read this:

The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells.

This might explain why diabetes is a risk factor. As a diabetic, I find this rather fascinating. Frightening but also fascinating.

I know blood transfusion/exchange is used to treat severe CO poisoning. I wonder if it could work with Wuhan.

Also as Hydroxychloroquine protects red blood cells from the malaria parasite, maybe it also protects the red blood cells from attack by the Wuhan virus.

Another piece to the puzzle perhaps.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
More reported cases equal more relief funding. Gee, I don't know why anyone would ever fudge the numbers to make it look worse than it is. Confused
'That' and these "experts" and our brilliant politicians are going to need cover for what they've done to this country in response to this bug. This is rapidly going to move toward a CYA focus for the people in charge.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Naturally. Once the media doesn't have the virus to freak out about, what else are they going to use to sell advertising by having something to freak out about?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Speaking of blood transfusion/exchange as a possible treatment, has there been any meaningful progress on synthetic blood?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Back to the topic of how deaths are being reported in New York, Tucker Carlson hit on this topic last night on his show. Something he mentioned (which I have not confirmed) was that the number of deaths caused by pneumonia in New York is down significantly from last year while these Covid deaths counts have risen. The obvious question....Are pneumonia deaths being arbitrarily recorded as Covid deaths, completely skewing the numbers? Based on Birx's comments about how deaths should be recorded if Covid is present, this could be happening. 'If' that is the case, then we have 'nothing' even approaching reliable data to base a Covid mortality rate on which would continue to force models to produce higher than appropriate death projections. Some group needs to look into this and get a handle on whether this is happening.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...to-illegals-n2566552

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state legislature are working on a plan to offer coronavirus assistance to illegal immigrants in The Golden State who are not included in the federal government’s stimulus package.

“Californians care deeply about undocumented residents in this state,” Newsom said

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some of the criticisms of blaming all deaths of people with serious additional medical problems on C-19 are clearly valid, but it can be just as much of a mistake to believe that everyone in that condition who dies would have died “anyway.” There are some similarities to a scenario in which a hemophiliac is stabbed and dies because it’s not possible to stop the bleeding by means that would have worked for a person with normal blood clotting. Did he die from the stab wound, or should we give the stabber a pass on a murder charge because it was a genetic defect that the attacker didn’t know about that led to the victim’s bleeding out? If this disease worsens a victim’s health problem to the point that that’s what kills him, then the disease still deserves the blame.

It may be difficult at times to determine which was the precipitating cause of death at that particular time, i.e., the COVID-19 or the other medical problem, but being difficult should make us cautious in deciding, not give us an excuse to justify our picking whatever cause meets our particular agenda.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
No idea if this is correct, but read this:

The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells.

This might explain why diabetes is a risk factor. As a diabetic, I find this rather fascinating. Frightening but also fascinating.

I know blood transfusion/exchange is used to treat severe CO poisoning. I wonder if it could work with Wuhan.

Also as Hydroxychloroquine protects red blood cells from the malaria parasite, maybe it also protects the red blood cells from attack by the Wuhan virus.

Another piece to the puzzle perhaps.

Hyperbaric chambers are used for severe CO poisoning...not that it would apply to the virus at hand.
I read that article last night and as a paramedic of 30 something years I have to say medically/scientifically they brought up some good points and it made sense from a medical perspective. I do however, question weather or not any of the contained info has been verified or fact checked, and found it odd to see political opinion in the article. The author clearly stated they were not a doctor but it’s contents clearly had some base on medical conditions/disease process. Just made me take it with a grain of salt and pause....interested to see what someone more informed than myself has to say about it.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
...his job is to make recommendations for the Governors to make the right decisions, just as he has been saying almost every day in his briefings.
Which is the absolutely right call, both in practice (allows states / localities to assess their particular situation and take the appropriate action) and in a political sense (puts the burden where it needs to be, on the Governors, both Liberal and Conservative.

Because you know any unilateral action by Trump to close / open things will be lambasted by the MSM / Fake News / Leftists. So he's putting the ball in their court.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to the topic of how deaths are being reported in New York, Tucker Carlson hit on this topic last night on his show.

The "models" keep being adjusted downwards to catch up with reality -- but never quite get there.

And meanwhile, people keep telling us the models are completely accurate and that to question them is to "have blood on your hands."

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state legislature are working on a plan to offer coronavirus assistance to illegal immigrants in The Golden State who are not included in the federal government’s stimulus package.

“Californians care deeply about undocumented residents in this state,” Newsom said
Good, a broke ass state can have its subjects pay for it. Fuck em.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just secede already!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state legislature are working on a plan to offer coronavirus assistance to illegal immigrants...

Chicago is already there:

https://www.washingtontimes.co...ecutive-order-grant/

Chicago mayor's executive order grants coronavirus benefits to illegal immigrants

By - Associated Press - Tuesday, April 7, 2020
CHICAGO — Chicago immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S. are eligible for all relief programs run by the city amid the coronavirus outbreak, Mayor Lori Lightfoot ordered Tuesday.

Lightfoot said that includes programs for housing assistance and low-interest small business loans administered by the city.

Immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S. are excluded from the $2 trillion federal relief package approved by Congress. The package is limited to those who have filed federal taxes using Social Security Numbers.

Chicago Alderman George Cardenas said that left out people who are “the heart and soul of the service economy.”

“These individuals are getting hit the hardest,” he said. “They have nowhere to turn for support.”

Immigration advocacy groups have called for additional federal legislation providing financial help for immigrants who do not have legal status but pay taxes using Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Hyperbaric chambers are used for severe CO poisoning...not that it would apply to the virus at hand.

FYI...
quote:
Therapeutic red cell exchange for severe carbon monoxide poisoning.
[i]Zengin S1, Yılmaz M, Al B, Yildirim C, Yavuz E, Akcali A.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23749385

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE:
Carbon monoxide (CO) is the most common cause of fatal poisoning worldwide. Therapeutic red cell exchange (TREX) has been used in the treatment of many different diseases. Therefore, we aimed to evaluate the efficacy of TREX on the clinical status, outcome, and discharge of patients with severe CO poisoning.

METHODS:
Demographic data, clinical status, and outcomes of 12 patients that were treated with TREX for severe CO poisoning after referral to the Emergency and Hematology Departments of Gaziantep University between November 2011 and April 2012 were evaluated.

RESULTS:
Mean carboxyhemoglobin level decreased from (59.7 ± 12.7)% (38-79%) to (17 ± 9.4)% (8-43%), and mean Glasgow Coma Scale score increased from 4 ± 1.6 (3-8) to 9.4 ± 3.5 (3-14) after TREX therapy. Five patients were admitted to the intensive care unit. Rhabdomyolysis developed in one case. Of the 12 patients, 11 were discharged alive, and one patient died.

CONCLUSION:
TREX may be an alternative treatment method for reducing mortality and morbidity in cases of severe CO poisoning.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state legislature are working on a plan to offer coronavirus assistance to illegal immigrants...

Chicago is already there:

https://www.washingtontimes.co...ecutive-order-grant/

Chicago mayor's executive order grants coronavirus benefits to illegal immigrants

By - Associated Press - Tuesday, April 7, 2020
CHICAGO — Chicago immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S. are eligible for all relief programs run by the city amid the coronavirus outbreak, Mayor Lori Lightfoot ordered Tuesday.

It's the Laff-A-Lympics of leftism, which state or city will win the race?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

These people need to be hunted down and deported. Instead, we give them "benefits"! Mad

-rduckwor

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was sent to the dollar store to pick up a bunch of coloring books for our kids, the psychology this whole pandemic is just weird to watch unfold. I’ve got people literally recoiling from me as I try to pass them in the aisles. Confused

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
...his job is to make recommendations for the Governors to make the right decisions, just as he has been saying almost every day in his briefings.
Which is the absolutely right call, both in practice (allows states / localities to assess their particular situation and take the appropriate action) and in a political sense (puts the burden where it needs to be, on the Governors, both Liberal and Conservative.

Because you know any unilateral action by Trump to close / open things will be lambasted by the MSM / Fake News / Leftists. So he's putting the ball in their court.

Which, as PDJT put it is his Constitutional duty to advise. PDJT also said he (the Feds) would not hesitate to step in if the Governors did not.

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I was sent to the dollar store to pick up a bunch of coloring books for our kids, the psychology this whole pandemic is just weird to watch unfold. I’ve got people literally recoiling from me as I try to pass them in the aisles. Confused

This phrase "social distancing," I hate it. If you even say hi to another person, he or she looks at you like "why the hell are you talking to me; go away." Maybe we should be saying something like physical separation. I know, it's petty. But I hate the term "social distancing."

When I was with my mother a couple of weeks ago outside of her senior living complex, some lady driving out of the parking lot stopped her car and yelled over at us, "six feet!" It was all I could do not to turn around, drop trou, and show her my ass.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post