SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
Well we are 3/7ths through DEATH WEEK 3.0 and they are already posturing and saying we might need another 10 days to kill everyone.

Give 'em enough guesses and they will eventually hit on the winner for everyone, I suppose.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
and add in people who have had a mild case going back 90+ days and have recovered

could EASILY be in the millions

-------------------------------------

And people who've not been tested who have no symptoms since you're not allowed to get a test unless you have the symptoms.

My neighbors son came home from some third world country where he played pro ball, season cancelled, he was lucky to get a flight from Buttcrackistania to London to LGA, then a bus to a connection at Newark to FL.

You'd think that would be a qualification for testing right, 3rd world Eastern Europe, flights to NYC, bus through the city to NJ, waiting for flights then to FL, right through the hot spot. DR said no, no symptoms no test.

it could be that it's 298.8 million without the virus, free and clean, but we're using tainted numbers to project totals.

If you only test those at risk, you'll get high numbers of infected positives, like walking through a cow field at night, you'll likely step in a pie, or two...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the swab test being given now indicates whether you have the virus at the moment of the test. It doesn't indicate (or not) if you ever had it

Once we get the serum testing going (I think it has started in some places), we will identify people that ever had the China virus and have antibodies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

here is something from Cuomo that made me mad

https://www.breitbart.com/heal...-new-york-hospitals/

The use of hydroxychloroquine has been “anecdotally” positive for patients with the coronavirus, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said during a press briefing Monday.

Cuomo:

There are a lot of people who are relying on this, who were relying on it. People with lupus, etc. The tests in the hospital, they won’t say that they are… they’re too short a period of time to get a scientific report. You know, hospital administrators, doctors, want to give… have a significant data set before they give a formal opinion. Anecdotally, you’ll get suggestions that it has been effective, but we don’t have any official data yet from a hospital, or a quote unquote study, which will take weeks if not months before you get an official study.

There has been anecdotal evidence that it is promising, that’s why we’re going ahead. Doctors have to prescribe, but there are some people who have pre-existing conditions where it doesn’t work, or they’re taking medication that’s not consistent with this treatment. But anecdotally its been positive.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

We have the crisis in front of us now. It is absurd for the hospitals not to give at least a "quick look" report.

Back in my professional life, when it was said something was "anecdotal", that meant there was no proof, no results, nothing to hang your hat on. Just stories that were being passed around. Things that would be very risky to take action on.

anecdotal - based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in my day job -- medical device -- we have lots of exposure to medical studies

the field has become more and more 'evidence based' over the last 20 years

what constitutes 'good evidence' can be intensely debated. anecdotes don't USUALLY hold water but in this unprecedented situation we are trying to figure it out on the fly

there are standards used to 'grade' the 'quality' of academic rigor applied to the conduct of a medical study

one example is this:

-----------------

Levels of Evidence from Sackett*

Level Type of evidence

I Large RCTs (Randomized Control Trial) with clear cut results

II Small RCTs with unclear results

III Cohort and case-control studies

IV Historical cohort or case-control studies

V Case series, studies with no controls
*Adapted from Sackett DL. Rules of evidence and clinical recommendations on the use of antithrombotic agents. Chest 1989;95:2S–4S

-------------

So one would say -- 'the study is a Level 2 study ...' and use that as a rough benchmark to assess the 'importance / validity' of its data

its a complicated process and it's incredible the arguments I have seen clinicians engage in over very minute details

it's not surprising the effectiveness of many of these Covid therapies are being challenged -- but in this unprecedented situation they are willing to try things they otherwise might not

----------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

What this demonstrates is that a large segment of the population was never taught how to manage money. Way too many people spend every penny they earn or more than they earn. The average income in the United States in 2019 was $89, 930, yet it was also reported that most people have less than $5,000 in the bank. That tells you right there that many people have no idea how to save.

It's not the government's responsibility if you want to have seven kids when you make $20 an hour, or have $50,000 in ink on your body, or drink a case of beer a night.

You left out a very important word... 'Household.'

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Like bigdeal said, positive test results mean nothing. Hell, if it were possible for everyone in the country to be tested today, there may be 150 million Americans test positive out of 330 million total population. Almost everyone on the planet is eventually going to get the Chinese Virus if they haven’t already had it.

Undercounting the number of infected individuals is inevitable without testing absolutely everyone, but there's an increasing body of evidence that it is unlikely we are undercounting to anywhere near the degree you suggest.
Bologna. There is no real data to prove anything substantial or irrefutable at this point. My conjecture is no better or worse than your conjecture I'm incorrect in suggesting what he did.
quote:
A small town in Italy (~3,300 people) had repeated rounds of testing every single person in the town. Active cases peaked at about 3% without about half of those asymptomatic. ( https://www.ft.com/content/0db...ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3 )

Iceland (~360,000 people) has been letting anyone who wants a test get one. At the end of last week, about 5% of the population had been tested, again, with about half being asymptomatic. ( https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01...irus-intl/index.html ) As of April 5, Iceland had performed ~28,000 tests ( ~8% of the population ) with 1,417 positives (~0.4% of the population). ( https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus )
Can we please stop using these virtually irrelevant examples from overseas to try and explain what's occurring here. We have zero control over the integrity/accuracy of the data, and the cultures and populations are dynamically different than that found in this country. Until enough time has gone by for us to collect and compile accurate data in this country, we're going to have to operate on conjecture driven from common sense.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You said "positive test results mean nothing."
That's only true if we might be under-testing by orders of magnitude.

The only thing a positive test tells us is that a particular person has the virus. That is useful information in a number of ways:
1. Treatment, for that person.
2. Distancing and PPE for the people treating or around that person.
3. It tells us that the virus is in that area or location.
4. In the aggregate, we can tell where the "hot spots" are, with the virus circulating in significant concentration.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Seriously? I wasn’t suggesting anything. Wow.

You said "positive test results mean nothing."
<snip>

Why do you waste your time replying to such a comment?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
This happened a couple miles down the road from where I'm typing. Stupid jackbooted thugs. Unfortunately these are the type of leo's that make up the norm in Colorado. The good cops are very few and far between in these parts.

This right here is the stuff that gives people a bad taste for government and law enforcement. I have spent my fair share of time behind a badge, as a Deputy, while I was in college and a little bit after. This would just not have even crossed our minds to cuff someone for this. If you can't diffuse a situation of a family playing in an empty park, then you need your badge taken away and handed a box of crayons. Because your abilities as a LEO are for shit. What makes it even worse is there were 3 chances for them to find some common sense ( 1 chance for each officer). I would bet good money that at least one of them said, "We are only following orders."

That type of thing disturbing to me as a retired LEO. These guys had no reason to even approach and ask for I.D. since he was not doing anything remotely illegal. I don't see that he was under any obligation to show them I.D. This dept. owes him a big apology and he should probably find an attorney and file suit (both dept. and individually) He has plenty of evidence since it was being recorded by a third party not involved.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So now there is a theory that 5G cellphone towers are to blame and people are burning them in the UK and threatening to tear them down here???

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
So now there is a theory that 5G cellphone towers are to blame and people are burning them in the UK and threatening to tear them down here???

People are stupid. A couple of celebrities have posted crap like that here too. I'm no fan of 5g, but that has nothing to do with a virus.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
NSFW (but who is at work?)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Also NSFW:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/CsHRvaYCJ7E

God bless America.

Posts: 13493 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The media in this country has been carrying Communist water since at least the 1930’s. The New York Times especially. They’re the main reason a lot of Americans went to Soviet Russia during the Great Depression to find work, believing the utopian stories they were reading in the papers. A lot of them never made it back home to the US.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
[T]he main reason a lot of Americans went to Soviet Russia during the Great Depression to find work, believing the utopian stories they were reading in the papers. A lot of them never made it back home to the US.

An excellent book about that little-known aspect of history: The Forsaken.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep. I’ve got it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
These are great guys.. Big Grin. Stay the F @ home!

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, it certainly doesn't help matters that the next generation after 5G was going to be called 666G.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
the next generation after 5G was going to be called 666G.

Big Grin

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post