SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Since we are talking about possible airborne transmission, did anyone else see this article?

I saw it about a week ago, but did not pay much attention to it at the time.

Back in early March, 60 members of a church choir met for a rehearsal. Of those, 45 of them later either tested positive (28 people) or were presumed positive (17 people).

That is a little unnerving.

https://www.latimes.com/world-...virus-choir-outbreak

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep. That's why our church services are on the internet. It just makes no sense to gather in groups right now.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
^^^ Yep. That's why our church services are on the internet. It just makes no sense to gather in groups right now.

Yes, but this was back on March 10th. Life was still pretty normal 4 weeks ago, even though it now seems like a year ago.

On Tuesday March 10th, we went out to a family dinner. On Wednesday the 11th, I drove across the state for work to see some clients. On Thursday the 12th, my son had field day at his elementary school. The weekend of the 14th and 15th, my daughter had a travel softball tournament.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Yes, but this was back on March 10th. Life was still pretty normal 4 weeks ago, even though it now seems like a year ago.

On Tuesday March 10th, we went out to a family dinner. On Wednesday the 11th, I drove across the state for work to see some clients. On Thursday the 12th, my son had field day at his elementary school. The weekend of the 14th and 15th, my daughter had a travel softball tournament.

Not sure if citizens and/or .gov in FL were slow to react, or just ignoring the obvious, but the discussion throughout the week of 3/9 here in NH was not if, but when everything was gonna' shut down. Teachers at my sons HS were openly discussing the situation with students all week and the school administration announced a three week school closure (thru 4/3) & remote learning program at 4:00 PM on Friday 3/13.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's still not evidence of airborne transmission.
Maybe patient 0 was the one handling the song books/ handing out water / was that one hugger in the group, etc.
You're also likely talking about multiple couples, who would have close, prolonged contact afterward.
Not time to break out the Israeli surplus gas masks yet, that's after we pass it back to a bat, which is caged next ta a newt & then thrown in a cauldron with eye of frog or something.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since we are talking about possible airborne transmission, did anyone else see this article?

Back in early March, 60 members of a church choir met for a rehearsal. Of those, 45 of them later either tested positive (28 people) or were presumed positive (17 people).

Yeah, I don't know if that's all airborne transmission - look at the article.

--------
"“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” Burdick recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead.

-----

Not to mention, many couples attend choirs / carpool, etc - so it's not a sure thing that all were infected at this single event - likely one of a couple was, then passed it on at some other point in time.

And of course, if someone sneezes, particle fly around in the air and if you ingest / get some in your face, it seems entirely reasonable that you could get it. Or pick it up off something no one else has touched, but particles landed on. But I would expect that of any virus / cold, in my simpleton mind.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Not sure if citizens and/or .gov in FL were slow to react, or just ignoring the obvious, but the discussion throughout the week of 3/9 here in NH was not if, but when everything was gonna' shut down. Teachers at my sons HS were openly discussing the situation with students all week and the school administration announced a three week school closure (thru 4/3) & remote learning program at 4:00 PM on Friday 3/13.

Most of the schools in Florida went on spring break on 3/13. That evening, schools were told to take an extra week of spring break. On 3/17, it was announced that schools would go to online classes until April 15.

No, we in Florida are not slow or ignorant. Also, we won't have to change our licenses plate as we still have sunshine. Razz

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Some good news from Louisiana

https://hotair.com/archives/ka...g-coronavirus-curve/

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards cautiously delivered some good news to the state’s residents on Monday.

The early projections by Edwards’ administration showed a risk of running out of ventilators and hospital beds by the first two weeks of April. He moved to quickly make available facilities for patients and to purchase necessary equipment. So far, the hospitals have fewer patients that require ventilators than originally projected and these patients are spending less time on the ventilators. New hospital admissions have fallen. The death rate is coming more in line with other states.

Louisiana became a hot spot for the coronavirus pandemic after Mardi Gras, which brought over 1.5 million revelers together in the New Orleans area. Added to that were St. Patrick’s Day celebrations which also were not canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak

Edwards said the state has secured 753 ventilators in recent weeks, and has distributed all but 200 of them. Of those, 350 came from the federal stockpile, where Edwards has asked for 7,000.

Edwards thanked President Donald Trump for 200 more ventilators he sent to Louisiana from the national stockpile this weekend, and for two federal testing sites in New Orleans, which helped give state health officials a lot of data they needed.

The medical monitoring station in the Convention Center opened today, with about 30 patients being treated there. The site is for patients who no longer need hospitalization but need more care than they would get if they go home.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, I'm told Troopers remain at each Texas and Louisiana border crossing, stopping all non-commercial traffic coming into Texas from the Louisiana side, requiring quarantine of those who came from New Orleans or NYC and other scenarios.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Yeah, I don't know if that's all airborne transmission - look at the article.

--------
[i]"“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” Burdick recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

You left out a critical piece I think:

Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes .

“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” Burdick recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

The way I read it, it was a normal practice except they did not have the usual hugs handshakes and kept their distance. It seems they also administered hand sanitizer and made a conscious effort to avoid physical contact. This is not proof by any means that it was in fact airborne transmission of course. And even if it was, a bunch of people belting out tunes for a couple of hours would certainly put more particulate into the air than most any other type of social gathering.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^IIRC, Tucker C. also mentioned the massive spike in calls to help hotlines...mentioning one instance where calls went from ~1000 calls to 25,000 calls, (per day?).

In my neck of the woods they're also starting to suggest avoiding going to the store or pharmacy. We're supposed to be locked down for another four weeks. That ain't gonna work for most folks.

Yesterday was apparently the Day 21 of this lock down, and places like VA are going to June 10th.

It's gonna get worse before we get on the multi-year road to recovery.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Text from my nurse buddy

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Da hell?!?

No ordinary precautions at all? That's silly, and stupid...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Remember that in the days of the AIDS crisis, “universal precautions” were recommended—probably to avoid offending gays, but still.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How soon before we see the following birth announcement in Memphis?

Ko'Rone VyRess, 5lbs 11oz...

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

Not sure if citizens and/or .gov in FL were slow to react

It's Florida, of course we were last. Wink

It was being discussed the week of 3/9, but early in the week, it still seemed abstract. By Wednesday and Thursday, I had stopped shaking hands. By Sat and Sun, we knew this would be the last softball tournament for a while and that things were getting ready to change. All schools in central FL went on spring break 3/13, and the week of 3/16 is when things really changed here.

posted Hide Post
I refuse to read or listen to fake news cnn propaganda, so didn't click on it, but saw one of their headlines proclaiming that the deaths are more than what is being reported. So... things must be actually improving, and all their hysteria is wearing thin with people.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
How soon before we see the following birth announcement in Memphis?

Ko'Rone VyRess, 5lbs 11oz...

My wife sent me this last week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
President Trump:

The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?

xxxxxxxxxxx

The World Health Organization was told by Taiwan officials on December 29, 2019 that the disease was contagious through human-to-human transmission. They ignored the warning and published false information about the spread more than two weeks later.

In the time in-between the warning from Taiwan and the statement from WHO everything was fine, China destroyed samples of the virus, shut down labs, arrested doctors and welded shut buildings where victims of the disease lived.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post