SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Many here say they will buy American and/or avoid buying from China. But if you shop online, how do you plan to do that?

Amazon and most other online retailers refuse to divulge country of origin in there online offerings.

While I generally do not support government intervention, I think Online retailers should be required to include Country of Origin on all things they sell. Possibly content origin as well.

Never again should Americans be held hostage to the whims of God Damn Communists.

Damn, I miss JAllen.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I bought the last 2 gallons of milk in the dairy section. It’s like there was a serious run on the grocery stores this weekend, or they’re not restocking.

Mean while, dairy farmers are pouring out milk (No shortage of milk).

https://www.google.com/search?...rome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I bought the last 2 gallons of milk in the dairy section. It’s like there was a serious run on the grocery stores this weekend, or they’re not restocking.

Mean while, dairy farmers are pouring out milk (No shortage of milk).

https://www.google.com/search?...rome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Separate supply chains and distribution. Think of schools buying milk crates full of pints of milk, the packaging and delivery routes need to be recalibrated. It hopefully will be possible for industrial and consumer milk supply chains to converge and solve the problem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
yep.

This is logistics.

It is quite simply, complicated.

And trying to change all the "timing and events" is not an easy task.

Media cares not about facts, only what "sells" a story.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Never again should Americans be held hostage to the whims of God Damn Communists.

The only people holding anyone hostage are themselves and the incessant desire for cheap and cheap(er) shit. Just like drugs. Demand drives the equation, not the other way around. Don't blame China for product and supply chain dependencies, blame consumers and resellers. They're the real problem there. And surely most will go back to that-normal as soon as the virus dies down. The CCP fucks didn't do *that* to us or anyone else. *We* did. (The royal we)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Evidently Tylenol is the new TP . I had to go 4 places yesterday to find a bottle. A stressed out pharmacist told me "Yes, they are hoarding Tylenol now!". Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile Iowa golf courses are allowing only Iowa residents on their golf courses. After many Chicago players traveled to Iowa, as their courses are closed up tight. According to local broadcast need. Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Evidently Tylenol is the new TP .

That's because initial Media reports were that NSAIDs could worsen the disease. The FDA is currently not aware of any scientific evidence of this.

FDA advises patients on use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for COVID-19

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It is looking more and more like the virus can go airborne at least for a while. We are seeing as many hospital workers testing positive as the number of patients being cared for. Wouldn’t surprise me if studies a year or two down the road show the virus remains in the air for hours. Hospitals just do not have that many negative pressure rooms.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“LONDON (AP) — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was in intensive care Tuesday fighting the coronavirus
……
The 55-year-old Johnson, the world’s first known head of government to fall ill with the virus, was conscious in a London hospital and needed oxygen overnight but was not on a ventilator, Cabinet minister Michael Gove said Tuesday. Britain’s foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, has been designated to take over with Johnson sidelined by an illness that can be debilitating even for those with access to the world’s best medical care…”

https://apnews.com/6e506c4f105670b8fa8eb5531aadf2c1

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
It is looking more and more like the virus can go airborne at least for a while. We are seeing as many hospital workers testing positive as the number of patients being cared for. Wouldn’t surprise me if studies a year or two down the road show the virus remains in the air for hours. Hospitals just do not have that many negative pressure rooms.

Up to 3 hours with a half-life of 1 hour.

This is why the 6 foot rule is arbitrary nonsense, and the early CDC advice against face masks (now reversed) was foolish.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think at least some of the hospital staff infections can be attributed to faulty PPE handling. You try to be perfect at it, but all it takes is one mistake.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
It can be transmitted through the air in the form of droplets. proper PPE protocols are not stringently observed or surface disinfectant practices adhered to, it can easily be spread. True airborne transmissibility hasn’t been shown yet; it it was, the numbers would be a lot higher I think- especially in the susceptible age categories.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can still research the brand of product outside of Amazon.

quote:
Many here say they will buy American and/or avoid buying from China. But if you shop online, how do you plan to do that?

Amazon and most other online retailers refuse to divulge country of origin in there online offerings.

While I generally do not support government intervention, I think Online retailers should be required to include Country of Origin on all things they sell. Possibly content origin as well.

Damn, I miss JAllen.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

The only people holding anyone hostage are themselves and the incessant desire for cheap and cheap(er) shit. Just like drugs. Demand drives the equation, not the other way around.

Consumers have 100% done this to themselves. Walmart fled to China to build slave towns and American consumers flocked to Walmart to support them.

quote:
Many here say they will buy American and/or avoid buying from China. But if you shop online, how do you plan to do that?[/i]

Typically I try to buy from companies that advertise it. And usually if they don't advertise it then you know it's not made in the US.

But sadly, even companies that used to promote "made in America" can't be trusted anymore. I bought a $250 creeper seat from MAC tools and it was made in China. I bought some competition bumper plates from Rogue and they were made in China. I get the position these companies are in, but it would be nice if they found a way to produce everything in this country.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
My wife has asthma. For a long time I have had 3 Austin air filters running in my house. The filters include a Hepa filter.

Any air that gets pulled thru the filter should filter droplets.

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Consumers have 100% done this to themselves.
Guilty as charged. In the late 1990s - early 2000s road-tripping about the Gulf, camping here and there, I'd typically buy what I needed rather than bother packing. K-Mart for tee-shirts was a popular destination. At some point I found 3-for-$10 Chinese tee shirts, and said to myself, "Well, if they want to work that cheap, f-them". Little did I realize I was putting American manufacturers out of business.

I've done a 180˚ and look for the label. My 40 pairs of USA Trading Company union-made underwear (I buy black) are seven years old and are holding up wonderfully. https://www.unionlabel.com Turns out they were a great investment. Well-made shoes and belts are an especially good investment.

As far as this thread goes, with China reporting NO deaths, you'd think they are executing anyone who defies isolation orders and gets themselves's infected ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
so-called "essential" businesses such as supermarkets and pharmacies as well as liquor stores are allowed to remain open, but everything else is ordered shuttered. Does the Peking Pox know not to traipse into the Whole Foods Market or hang ten offshore in Santa Monica?

Tucker Carlson nailed it:

... "We've decided that offices are somehow more dangerous than supermarkets, far more dangerous, though no one has bothered to explain how. The result: by some estimates, more 17 million Americans are unemployed right now. That's the highest number in the history of this country. A year from now, we should think about this. How will we feel about all this, about our decisions in the face of this pandemic? Is there a single person who sincerely expects the coronavirus itself will hurt more people in the end than the damage we're causing in our response to it? Probably not. Mass unemployment is almost certain to cause far more harm - including physical harm - to the average family than this disease...

Once again, coronavirus is not the only bad thing that's happening in America right now, horrifying as it is" Carlson concluded. "We should never minimize the danger of this pandemic, or minimize our obligation to respond to it wisely... No thoughtful person wants to reopen baseball stadiums tomorrow or book a cruise to Shanghai, but there has to be a more balanced course than the one we are on now. For most people, going to work cannot be more dangerous than buying produce at Safeway twice a week. And if it is more dangerous, tell us how it's more dangerous, and be specific when you describe that. Otherwise, it's time to start caring about the entire population. Healthy people are suffering badly too."

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
According to who? I have family who is a nurse in Or. Not in her facilities. ??

In fact the nursing staff is unhappy as hours are hard to come by with little for them to do. They are being asked to stay home.

Exactly. And according to local tracking numbers. Census numbers are down. Hospital I'm familiar with runs normally at 100%; now around 65%.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
quote:

Up to 3 hours with a half-life of 1 hour.

This is why the 6 foot rule is arbitrary nonsense, and the early CDC advice against face masks (now reversed) was foolish.

I even had nurse friends legit making fun of me early on for buying N95 masks. I respect nurses and it’s my job to work with them on a daily basis, but many are half stupid.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post