SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Does anyone know if having asthma leads to a higher risk of more severe symptoms?

Also, can people be reinfected with this if they get it and recover?

Yes and no.
"No". Has that been proven as fact at this point? I've read speculation that that's the case, but no confirmed medical decision that one can not be re-infected.

Dr John Campbell in the UK has said they are very confident that this is the case. The antibodies present do not allow reinfection. What they don’t know is how long they last. Months years or lifetime.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The really scary thing is... we are a service based economy and a lot of those jobs aren't coming back. Many people will be unable to afford many services which will have a cascading effect.

A lot has been said about how precarious it is to have our economy and our health dependent on products from China. I am hopeful that as we emerge from the lockdown President Trump will do all he can to encourage companies to return production of many things to our shores. It is certainly the case that in the long run being a producer and exporter of goods is a better recipe for prosperity than being a producer and exporter of debt while being an importer and consumer of goods. Production, not consumption is the path to prosperity.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
China is fucked and this will cost them dearly in the long run in both conscious trade retribution and unintended consequences. This whole issue has exposed the danger of a supply chain without diversity.

Some decisions to pull production of goods, pharmaceuticals and healthcare supplies/equipment will be done out of anger over the chicom actions and some will be pulled because it's smart given what we have learned from this crisis. Either way, China is going to lose a lot of money in the long run and rightfully so. It's a shame it took a pandemic for the world, and the US in particular, to see the folly in relying so heavily on a bunch of fucking commies.

Got any money you're willing to wager? My bet is once this passes and is in the rear view efforts will be made my some Repub's in Washington to separate us from China. My prediction...majorities of both parties will demonize those efforts, calling them xenophobic and racist, and fight tooth and nail to oppose them given how much their personal fortunes hinge on Chicom dealings. and I believe that same paradigm will exist in governments around the world that have effectively been bankrolled by the Chinese.

You make great points but I did not say we, or anyone else, will stop doing business with China. There will be changes to the supply chain based on the obvious vulnerabilities exposed recently. How big those changes are will be somewhat influenced by the factors you outlined but there will be changes and it will hurt China's bottom line significantly.

Regardless of political retribution, private businesses will seek geographic and political redundancy in their supply chain. Surely they see now that putting all of their manufacturing eggs in one basket is just too risky. Will China fight like hell to stop that, of course, but they will lose money fighting to keep business and lose business despite those efforts.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will be changes to the supply chain based on the obvious vulnerabilities exposed recently. How big those changes are will be somewhat influenced by the factors you outlined but there will be changes and it will hurt China's bottom line significantly.

Duration.

It will be very interesting to see how long we can stay committed to that. Not the Sigforum we, the larger we.

1 year feels optimistic.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hopefully we, as Americans at least, will get into the habit of looking for products made elsewhere. And with the help of President Trump to expedite a huge manufacturing growth in this country, it would (will) be easier.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Hopefully we, as Americans at least, will get into the habit of looking for products made elsewhere. And with the help of President Trump to expedite a huge manufacturing growth in this country, it would (will) be easier.

Already doing my part.

Just bought a $1,000 American Made Power Rack (squat rack).

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
There will be changes to the supply chain based on the obvious vulnerabilities exposed recently. How big those changes are will be somewhat influenced by the factors you outlined but there will be changes and it will hurt China's bottom line significantly.

Duration.

It will be very interesting to see how long we can stay committed to that. Not the Sigforum we, the larger we.

1 year feels optimistic.

I am not talking about consumer driven change. I am talking about businesses that rely 100% on Chinese manufacturing looking to shift a portion of that capacity as a business continuance strategy. Not suggesting that will drive jobs to the US but will certainly drive jobs out of China. Perhaps to India, Mexico, Vietnam and other places with cheap labor.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ So the Metropolitan Sewer District (St. Louis) is probably crawling with the stuff...
Are you going to quarantine 1.5 million people? Without even testing individuals to see if they have it?
I should hope not.

Detroit? I'm sure the wastewater is full of it... Lock everybody up?
With all due respect, I think the areas you referred to should probably be closed down for a multitude of reasons. Wink

No, I was simply suggesting that if testing of effluent showed high signs of Covid matter, then testing could be specifically targeted to the areas creating that effluent and decisions could eb made from there as to how to deal with the findings.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ So the Metropolitan Sewer District (St. Louis) is probably crawling with the stuff...
Are you going to quarantine 1.5 million people? Without even testing individuals to see if they have it?
I should hope not.

Detroit? I'm sure the wastewater is full of it... Lock everybody up?

Well, it is Detriot you are talking about. Wink

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
China is fucked and this will cost them dearly in the long run in both conscious trade retribution and unintended consequences. This whole issue has exposed the danger of a supply chain without diversity.

Some decisions to pull production of goods, pharmaceuticals and healthcare supplies/equipment will be done out of anger over the chicom actions and some will be pulled because it's smart given what we have learned from this crisis. Either way, China is going to lose a lot of money in the long run and rightfully so. It's a shame it took a pandemic for the world, and the US in particular, to see the folly in relying so heavily on a bunch of fucking commies.

Got any money you're willing to wager? My bet is once this passes and is in the rear view efforts will be made my some Repub's in Washington to separate us from China. My prediction...majorities of both parties will demonize those efforts, calling them xenophobic and racist, and fight tooth and nail to oppose them given how much their personal fortunes hinge on Chicom dealings. and I believe that same paradigm will exist in governments around the world that have effectively been bankrolled by the Chinese.

You make great points but I did not say we, or anyone else, will stop doing business with China. There will be changes to the supply chain based on the obvious vulnerabilities exposed recently. How big those changes are will be somewhat influenced by the factors you outlined but there will be changes and it will hurt China's bottom line significantly.

Regardless of political retribution, private businesses will seek geographic and political redundancy in their supply chain. Surely they see now that putting all of their manufacturing eggs in one basket is just too risky. Will China fight like hell to stop that, of course, but they will lose money fighting to keep business and lose business despite those efforts.
And again, I would assert that when all this is over, politicos will fight tooth and nail to change anything, even maybe going so far as to pass legislation making it illegal for private industry to pull back out of China. All the while, the public will return to their "I want it now and I want it cheap" approach to purchasing. I really hate to say it, but maybe if the death toll in this country did reach the projections the "experts" are throwing around, maybe then we'd see a paradigm shift pushed into being by the public in this country.

I personally do not want to see "supply chain changes" alone occur. I want to see the global community come together in a focused cumulative approach to destroying the Chinese economy. There are many economists who claim the Chinese economy is a paper tiger and vulnerable to economic impacts. I say lets see just how accurate their analysis is and let's see if we can push the Chinese economy over the edge and into virtual default. They deserve nothing less for what they've done to the world with this bug, as well as their other deceitful behavior across the spectrum.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
NY and NJ have 49% of the total U.S. "China virus" confirmed cases.
Throw in California and Washington state and I wonder what the percentage would be.
quote:
https://www.npr.org/sections/h...ll-covid-19-patients

Most coronavirus patients who end up on ventilators go on to die, according to several small studies from the U.S., China and Europe.
And yet again, these are the types of stories I really take issue with. So what's the takeaway of this story? A large majority of the people placed on ventilators do not recover, or they die. And? The author makes zero effort to provide the rest of the picture. I'm plucking these numbers purely out of the air to try and make a point, but let's say 50% of the people placed on ventilators die. That stat provides you with about 10% of the picture. How many total people were placed on vents and what percentage of corona positive people does that represent? Additionally, what percentage of the total population do the number of people placed on vents and died represent. My bet is the answer to both those questions is a very, very, small percentage. Is it horrible that these people die? Absolutely. But its even more horrible if we lose perspective on this whole issue and continue making bad decisions based on incomplete or faulty analysis.

Again, as I noted previously in this thread, living inside numbers and statistical modeling has been a huge portion of my adult life, and I see through stories like this very quickly. The underlying goal of this article is to scare the hell out of people. I do not believe we accomplish much of anything positive by doing that. But I absolutely know the underlying goals and where this leads...

I think when you add up all the state-by-state fatalities we will be around 160% of the National number...... Roll Eyes

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And again, I would assert that when all this is over, politicos will fight tooth and nail to change anything, even maybe going so far as to pass legislation making it illegal for private industry to pull back out of China. All the while, the public will return to their "I want it now and I want it cheap" approach to purchasing. I really hate to say it, but maybe if the death toll in this country did reach the projections the "experts" are throwing around, maybe then we'd see a paradigm shift pushed into being by the public in this country.

I personally do not want to see "supply chain changes" alone occur. I want to see the global community come together in a focused cumulative approach to destroying the Chinese economy. There are many economists who claim the Chinese economy is a paper tiger and vulnerable to economic impacts. I say lets see just how accurate their analysis is and let's see if we can push the Chinese economy over the edge and into virtual default. They deserve nothing less for what they've done to the world with this bug, as well as their other deceitful behavior across the spectrum.

There are a lot of wealthy politicians and billionaires that are heavily invested in China. Don't expect that any sense of Nationalism or common sense will even come close to overcoming greed.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
With all due respect, I think the areas you referred to should probably be closed down for a multitude of reasons. Wink

No, I was simply suggesting that if testing of effluent showed high signs of Covid matter, then testing could be specifically targeted to the areas creating that effluent and decisions could eb made from there as to how to deal with the findings.

Well,... I can save you the trouble then. I'm sure the effluent matter will show high signs of Covid matter. But my point is, what difference does that make? Those places are already performing individual testing at maximum capacity, so they can't increase it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well,... I can save you the trouble then. I'm sure the effluent matter will show high signs of Covid matter. But my point is, what difference does that make? Those places are already performing individual testing at maximum capacity, so they can't increase it.

It's possible there's some way they can get a reasonable estimate of how many infected people there are whose plumbing ultimately goes to each treatment station. That would be very useful (in terms of figuring out how well we are doing catching cases with testing). Otherwise, I don't see much point.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is going on? Loads of Youtube video's showing hospitals in big urban areas being empty, I just don't know what to believe.

My cousin says they are showing video's from Italy to depict NYC, WTF????

I'm not a chicken little kind of guy, but all this has me spooked :shrugs:

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
What is going on? Loads of Youtube video's showing hospitals in big urban areas being empty, I just don't know what to believe.

The last 2 weeks hospitals in LA County have been pretty quiet as well, but this week we started to swing back to normal patient levels. Most doctors think by the end of the month every hospital bed in the County will be occupied.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

The last 2 weeks hospitals in LA County have been pretty quiet as well, but this week we started to swing back to normal patient levels. Most doctors think by the end of the month every hospital bed in the County will be occupied.

I'd have to be bleeding out to set foot in a hospital right now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I get wanting to win the argument but your position is that the US government is going to pass legislation requiring companies to continue to source from China? You can't be serious.

Ever heard of the Trade Agreement Act? Are you aware that US government contracts can not be filled with Chinese manufactured products per the Trade Agreement Act?

I have done a lot of business with the VA Healthcare System on behalf of 3 different international companies. Any products in their catalogue manufactured in China are not eligible to be on the VA contract per the TAA. Maybe these politicos you mentioned aren't aware?

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
We need some fresh material in Sig Pistols guys. Rifle Room, Gallery and Reloading. Let's see, hear and share some of your wares and ventures.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post