SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Your horoscope is more accurate than the models...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I see everyone has accepted the name covid like the Chinese propaganda wants us to do.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Its the "WUHAN VIRUS FOEVAAAA!"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Well, just found out a high school football teammate of mine is in ICU with Covid.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm ok when the Pres calls it the Chinese Virus. It kind of fits, as an hour after you recover you're reinfected.

(I can get away with that one, being half Chinese! Cool)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Does Chris Cuomo really have the Coronavirus or does he just want to be in the running for a participation trophy?

Seems pretty talkative for someone with a respiratory virus.

No life lost is acceptable, therefore we should just close down the economy and restrict travel.
The hospitals are empty, except for those with the Chinese virus.
Car accidents have nearly been eliminated.
The number of lives saved is astronomical.
Maybe we all should just sit home and have the government send money each month.
Just imagine the number of lives we would be saving.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Well, just found out a high school football teammate of mine is in ICU with Covid.

How old is he?

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
It’s really unfortunate that we can’t trust a single thing out of China anymore. Hopefully people’s eyes open because of this shit storm and we remember that China can’t be trusted for anything. They could have prevented this whole pandemic had they just not been a bunch of shitbags and told the truth instead of covering it up.

Well, it's cold comfort, but maybe their being so utterly full of shit will catch up with them.

Remember how they tried to offset the fact that the virus (by all indicators) originated in Wuhan, China by donating masks and other equipment to a number of countries? Turns out the masks are defective. What does Xi have to say in response? "Those masks aren't defective - you just need to go back and read the instructions again to determine whether or not you have the right type of mask and are using it properly!"

Right. The government of the Netherlands didn't know what it was doing when it recalled 600,000 of the 1.3 million Chinese masks it received. The government of Spain didn't know what it was doing when it found that 60,000 of the 340,000 test kits that it bought from China did not accurately test for Kung Flu. No, they needed the Premier of the People's Republic of China to tell them to read the instructions.

Chinese Government Rejects Allegations That Its Face Masks Were Defective, Tells Countries To 'Double Check' Instructions
David Choi, Buisness Insider 4/2/2020
http://www.yahoo.com/news/chin...-face-192334486.html

At some point in this crisis China will have been so full of it so many times that no one will even pretend to believe China's claim that the Kung Flu didn't originate in China.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I'm ok when the Pres calls it the Chinese Virus. It kind of fits, as an hour after you recover you're reinfected.

(I can get away with that one, being half Chinese! Cool)

I'm not half Chinese and I have zero problems calling it Chinese/Wuhan Virus. As Trump said it's where it came from.

I refuse to follow the MSM/CCP propaganda. I can't believe they hate the President so much they are willing to carry water for our enemies.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I see everyone has accepted the name covid like the Chinese propaganda wants us to do.

The name of the disease that is killing people is COVID-19

The name of the Wuhan virus is SARS-CoV-2.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
We need more banjo.

I wouldn't object.

I did realize that wat that Steve Martin. If he had an eye patch on, I would have instantly recognized him.

Google him on the Letterman show and Dueling Banjos. He's got serious talent.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

"...Pharmacists have been managing shortages for 20 years now," Ganio noted. "We've become creative, we've been able to manage most things where frontline practitioners don't realize that there is a shortage."

"We'll figure it out," he said.

^^^^^

It's not just these types of meds, I went to refill my Asthma Rx today and they were out and didn't know if they would be geting any in on Monday. They told me people are filling one month under their insurance and paying cash for another month. My MD and I expected this so he called in two types, my normal and a more expensive type. I got the more $$$$ version.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Something else sad to see - many hospital administrations are are not supporting their nurses, aides, techs, etc. Even though there is a shortage, it is turning into you do what we tell you, when we tell you, how we tell you and do not complain even privately or you are fired.

Based on what I have heard directly from my live-in nurse, that is exactly the case, to the letter.

There has been a specific directive to personnel NOT to talk to anyone about the situation in the hospital.

Say nothing about equipment shortages or gross violations of previously standing policies, shifts in policies sometimes more than one time in a single shift, etc.

Based on my network, I would say I hear reliable info from 3 hospitals in this area, and it's all largely in agreement.

I suspect many new unions will be formed after this settles and the hospitals will not like the contracts.

This is a common policy for any large company. They all want to have control of the narrative and violation is typically grounds for dismissal. Recent hires must agree to such.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

How old is he?

Probably 50.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Big brother is watching where you're going....

https://www.clickondetroit.com...g-covid-19-pandemic/

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
I think they belong to big pharma.
Why use existing and proven drugs when we can spend billions investing in research using our money.

Rule number 1: follow the money. Right?

WHAT existing and proven drugs? There aren't any.

Based on reporting, virtually all of the pharmacological research being done right now is either (a) trying to establish whether any existing drugs are safe and effective treatments or (b) trying to develop a vaccine.

The benefits of a vaccine are obvious, but equally obviously, this is a new virus and we don't have one yet.

As far as drugs for treating active infections go, we have a whole lot of drugs for fighting bacterial infections, and they tend to be fairly broad spectrum (i.e., one drug works across a lot of different bacteria). We have relatively few antiviral drugs, and they are MUCH more specific.

Scientists all over the world are testing every existing drug anyone has any credible reason to think might possibly be effective.

That includes several drugs that showed promising early results in treating MERS and the 2003 SARS, which are similar coronaviruses (this includes hydrochloroquinone and several antivirals). But SARS and MERS were stopped very early (SARS: ~8000 confirmed cases, MERS: ~2500 confirmed cases) and the efficacy of those drugs was never fully established.

Early results on some of those drugs are promising. A number of them are effective at stopping viral reproduction in petri dishes, and some of those have some promising initial results in human testing, and are now undergoing more thorough trials to PROVE they are actually effective treatments for infected people.

That is being done at an INCREDIBLY accelerated pace compared to the usual process for testing new uses of drugs.

There are plenty of people calling for that testing to be skipped and just to start handing out the drugs. The problem with that is that the drugs can have significant side effects, might have some unknown, unpredicted negative interaction with COVID-19 infections, and might not be as effective as the informal testing done so far suggests. In short, it's POSSIBLE that just giving those drugs to everyone who is infected could actually make things worse overall than not giving them, and we want to be reasonably sure that's not the case before we start giving them to tons of people.

Z-PAK and hydroxychloroquine has been reported by numerous physicians as being effective if given early enough. Is it 100% effective? No. Nothing ever is though.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
Bad news: Not only has the share of critical cases now risen to 5.9 percent (ca. 3,400 out of 58,000), but we got nearly 6,200 newly established infections yesterday again after the sub-5,000 numbers of previous days - though still on a generally downward trend from the peak of 6,900. Good news: The German Hospital Society estimates that number of ICU beds has now increased from 28,000 to nearly 40,000 nationally, three quarters of which equipped with ventilators by reactivating old devices, procuring new ones, and repurposing some from post-OP recovery rooms etc. Free bed capacity thus still 15-20,000. By now we're starting to take in patients from the Netherlands, which also seem to run into capacity limits; their policy has been similar to the UK's, first letting it run before turning about and also imposing restrictions.

I wish I knew how people manage to embed the Worldometer graphs. While the daily numbers of new infections haven't dropped as much as I hoped, a pattern becomes visible: about three days of much shorter bars due to weekend lag followed by an uptick again as previously unreported cases are added, but not so high as the previous peak. Combined with the increase in national ICU capacity, there is general optimism now that we will cope, even as the German CFR has gone up considerably over the last days.

I fully expect it to temporarily reach three percent or so at one point like currently in Switzerland, which is my new watchcase now after Italy and Spain (France, the UK and Netherlands already being firmly in the "trouble" camp; France is moving patients out of the Paris area by repurposed high-speed trains as local capacities are overwhelmed despite nearly doubling the original number of ICU beds).

US - 7,403 : 277,522 = 2.7 %

Italy - 14,681 : 119,827 = 12.3 %

Spain - 11,198 : 119,199 = 9.4 %

Germany - 1,275 : 91,159 = 1.4 %

France - 6,507 : 82,165 = 7.9 %

UK - 3,605 : 38,168 = 9.4 %

Turkey - 425 : 20,921 = 2.0 %

Switzerland - 604 : 19,702 = 3.1 %

Belgium - 1,143 : 16,770 = 6.8 %

Netherlands - 1,487 : 15,723 = 9.5 %

Canada - 208 : 12,549 = 1.7 %

Austria - 168 : 11,589 = 1.4 %

South Korea - 177 : 10,156 = 1.7 %

[Portugal, Brazil, Israel]

Sweden - 358 : 6,131 = 5.8 %

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
benny6: How you doing brother? You are the only known positive on the board that I know of. Hoping you are still well.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote..

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote..

Well said.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post