SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Civil liberties just right out the window.

Meanwhile in Delaware, governor Carney is now giving troopers the authority to pull over out-of-state drivers for the simple crime of just having a non-Delaware tag.

The I-95 runs through Delaware State. Is the Governor closing the I-95 to interstate traffic?

No. The interstate is exempt from his order

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Southwest flew 56 planes on Monday that did not have a single passenger on them.

https://www.bizjournals.com/da...ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

What does it cost to fly a 737 on a 1,500 mile route? I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of money they must be losing.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I noticed a distinct change in attitude on the road yesterday (April 2, 2020).

Yesterday, in light traffic, many drivers started exhibiting "fuck you" behavior, driving as fast as twice the posted speed limit (70 mph, estimated, in a 35 mph zone), moving to the right shoulder to pass multiple vehicles and then cutting back into line, etc. Interestingly, most of these jerks were driving fairly new, expensive vehicles.

No police presence noticed on the roads.

One of the main stories I saw the news this morning was Lt. Kim Montes of the FHP addressing this issue and stating how the troopers would be out and they would be writing tickets.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Southwest flew 56 planes on Monday that did not have a single passenger on them.

What does it cost to fly a 737 on a 1,500 mile route? I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of money they must be losing.

My memory is a little hazy, but I want to say gas alone was around 20-30 grand for each out and back we would do (Andrews AFB to a southern state, usually Florida) on a military 737 (C40). This was back in 2015. We would fill around 12k-14k pounds when landing and the same or more coming back.

This makes zero sense to me, why wouldn't they cancel? Trying to keep pilots current?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:

My memory is a little hazy, but I want to say gas alone was around 20-30 grand for each out and back we would do (Andrews AFB to a southern state, usually Florida) on a military 737 (C40). This was back in 2015. We would fill around 12k-14k pounds when landing and the same or more coming back.

This makes zero sense to me, why wouldn't they cancel? Trying to keep pilots current?

Pretty sure it has to do with the recent stimulus package. I read about it a few days ago, as I recall it had something to do with maintaining certain business (actual flights in operation) to qualify for the money. What a joke....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Have some freaking faith.

I have faith in the President. I have zero faith in these singleminded, health despots.

And whether you want to believe it or not, current policy is obviously being set solely on the word of these experts. Why aren't the economic experts having a say? Cause don't kid yourselves. This is not about money vs lives. I think Rush said this today; this is lives vs lives. To deny this is to deny reality.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Pretty sure it has to do with the recent stimulus package. I read about it a few days ago, as I recall it had something to do with maintaining certain business (actual flights in operation) to qualify for the money. What a joke....

Yes, to 'get the money' the business has to not 'lay anyone off'.

And if you read the article linked, it does talk about the complexities of airlines, multiple impacts to 'shutting down' - i.e. if your pilots don't fly for so long, they need training, same likely goes for many of the employees involved.

"addressed why Southwest is still operating when there are so few passengers. He listed three reasons, including air travel being deemed critical infrastructure to move around key personnel and cargo, government aid offered to airlines implies continuation of service, and the logistical challenges of restarting an airline.

"The operational complexity associated with a grounding and relaunch of an airline our size is unprecedented," Van de Ven wrote in the message. "There are aspects touching every department that have significant consequences that frankly we’ve never had to navigate before."

Southwest CEO and Chairman Gary Kelly said Thursday the company plans on applying for grants included for airlines in the CARES Act recently passed by the U.S. government. The $25 billion in grants for commercial carriers are allocated specifically for keeping employees on payroll. If an airline takes the grants, it agrees to not furlough or lay off any employee until Sept. 30 this year.'

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:

Yikes! Then add in the payroll of the two pilots and three flight attendants. And then I am sure there is a cost per mile basis for maintenance.

Would I be crazy to say one flight could easily be $50k?

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

Well, the only other option unfortunately is to completely shut down air travel. That would really suck for many reasons and for many people.

And we also move a lot of mail and parcels through commercial airliners too.

A friend of mine was flying yesterday and snapped this pic. His flight only had a couple of people on it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have faith in the President. I have zero faith in these singleminded, health despots.

And whether you want to believe it or not, current policy is obviously being set solely on the word of these experts. Why aren't the economic experts having a say? Cause don't kid yourselves. This is not about money vs lives. I think Rush said this today; this is lives vs lives. To deny this is to deny reality.

Yes, it is lives vs lives. But the decisions rest with the elected President, not the "experts". It's the President's job to seek the advice of the experts, to evaluate it, and to make decisions.

Good article today by Angelo Codevilla on this.

Doctors, Doctored Numbers, and Democracy
Many of our so-called health experts are acting less like good doctors and more like bad politicians.

https://amgreatness.com/2020/0...mbers-and-democracy/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Rumor is that there will be a Presidential order to wear masks, reversing earlier CDC guidelines.

I am ready...

Mask - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

Kkina, that mask looks great. Could you tell me the brand and where to find one.

Sorry for the drift, but that's a badass mask.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. The interstate is exempt from his order[/QUOTE]

I figured, The Interstates are Federal Jurisdiction anyway I believe...

Posts: 915 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
If the pandemic doesn't get us all, I'm ready for the SMOD to finish the job.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have faith in the President.

....current policy is obviously being set solely on the word of these experts.

These two statements don't really jive, sorry. You either don't think Trump is making policy after considering the advice of all of his advisors or you think he is making the wrong decision by favoring the advice of healthcare experts over the economy, in either case you are second guessing him. You can't "have faith" that he is both in charge and setting our course in the right direction and also believe he is abdicating his responsibility by allowing only his healthcare experts to have input.

To come out strongly against the way we are handling this nationally is to come out against Trump, period. He is in charge, he is responsible for every decision.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the main stories I saw the news this morning was Lt. Kim Montes of the FHP addressing this issue
I'm kind of glad that i did not see that. I can not stand that self-righteous bimbo.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kkina:
Rumor is that there will be a Presidential order to wear masks, reversing earlier CDC guidelines.

I am ready...

Mask - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr
Kkina, that mask looks great. Could you tell me the brand and where to find one.

Sorry for the drift, but that's a badass mask.

Thank you! Actually, that is an ESS Tactical Goggle paired with a 3M P95 Respirator (I bought it from Home Depot for painting).

I wore the respirator without the goggles today for the first time. Only a couple people stared. I hear they will be advising face shields in the Bay Area, so next time I go out will probably be full commando.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

^^^ Her reasoning is void of reality. Incredibly f'ed up she is.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Playing the race card again, AOC?

This bitch is just unbelievable with her bullshit. I can’t wait for her to be voted out of office and we never hear from her again.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not surprising that the leftist never stop grinding their axes of racism, money, and tyranny.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
NY Cuomo is taking all ventilators around the state not being used for NYC. They'll be returned when not needed or the hospital / entity compensated for it.

Are there, ah, no cases of COVID in New York outside of New York City?

To Cuomo, NY is his little, overpopulated area, the rest of the land mass is just land mass.

AOC.....I wish someone would shut that ignorant jackass up

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post