SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Indeed, medic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
As a retired RRT, we manage the Ventilators after getting settings, then changes, from the Drs. This comes after consulting with the Doc about changes in the pts condition. I’m sure there both working a bigger caseload than normal. A lot of what a RRT does is suctioning, aerosol txs, postural drainage and clapping on each vent pt. And working codes. That’s just the ICUs. Helluva time to be sucking snot for a living.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
I like these quotes I found-

“Two things can be true at once.

1. Quarantine measures need to be taken right now in order to get the virus under control and keep people alive.

2. The extent of the quarantine measures can be questioned and challenged in order for us to keep the economy alive.

The fact that we can only talk about the former without being accused of wanting more people to die just goes to show how much we let pure emotion dictate our lives right now.”

“There isn’t actually any contradiction in the beliefs that (A) The virus is dangerous, (B) Mass unemployment is dangerous, and (C) authoritarian Government policies are dangerous. There needn’t be any cognitive dissonance holding all three at once; they’re not mutually exclusive.”
Government just cannot and will not be honest in dealing with this issue. Somebody needs to ask a few of these morons to answer the following question. "If you had 1,000 people needing a vaccine that you only had 100 doses of, what would you do? A) Refuse to administer the vaccine as it would insure the deaths of 900 people, or B) Administer the vaccine to the best candidates of the group and accept the decision isn't perfect." I guarantee you, if this question were asked of 100 politicians in Washington, you'd be lucky to find even a small handful that would even attempt to answer it. We are represented by utter cowards who refuse to be honest while assuming all of us are simply too stupid to see them for who and what they are.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I wonder what effect it would have if we chose to let 2.5m of the oldest and sickest (plus some of the healthy ones that are just unlucky) die? Provided only pain medicine unless it was 100% certain they'd live through it.

Would our country come out stronger? Medicare would be rid of it's most expensive customers. SS insolvency would be pushed back a few years, health insurance premiums may go down slightly. Inheritance would pass on to the younger generations sooner.

The mass graves or burn pits would be problematic, but the economy would have chugged along ok with companies staffing at 70% as employees that live are home recovering for three+ weeks. The body bag manufacturing and lime industry would see returns like they'd never seen.

Based upon the last paragraph I’m pretty sure you’re joking but I’m just going to double check- you are joking right? Rationing health care based solely upon age is wrong regardless of who is doing it. When the talks of death panels came about during the enactment of Obamacare everyone was up in arms. I would hope that people would be equally up in arms if some “authority” were to begin making decisions with respect to treatment and policies towards the elderly. Letting old folks die without treatment just because they’re old and we can keep the Ponzi scheme of social security and Medicare going a little longer is repugnant.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Thanks! So I’m curious, is it one RT per patient, or can an RT manage several patients simultaneously? The nut of it, is even if we have the ventilator equipment, will we have the number of RT’s to manage the load? I’m assuming that people just can’t learn the stuff as OJT.

An RT is state licensed, has an associates or bachelors degree. It’s not OJT.

My wife ran a NICU and can run a ventilator there. She says if the RT is very good they can run two. There’s suction, blood work and adjustments all the time, so two is pushing it.

Yes, she’s been called. Her reply was they might as well put her in the bed next to the patient. She’s very high risk

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what effect it would have if we chose to let 2.5m of the oldest and sickest (plus some of the healthy ones that are just unlucky) die? Provided only pain medicine unless it was 100% certain they'd live through it.

Would our country come out stronger? Medicare would be rid of it's most expensive customers. SS insolvency would be pushed back a few years, health insurance premiums may go down slightly. Inheritance would pass on to the younger generations sooner.

The mass graves or burn pits would be problematic, but the economy would have chugged along ok with companies staffing at 70% as employees that live are home recovering for three+ weeks. The body bag manufacturing and lime industry would see returns like they'd never seen.
Just what exactly is your problem? Explain this to me.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If we go to war with China we’d better hope we have an ass left to wipe when it’s over and not be worrying what we will wipe it with.

The consequences of even a limited nuclear exchange would be beyond what most people can imagine. We can only hope that the Chinese leadership is smarter than anyone here who thinks that war would be a good idea.

I know I don't think it is a good idea. My point is that it is a higher probability than many would suspect, and could be catastrophic.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this is the next update comparing actual NY data to the Cuomo prediction on 24 Mar

This is important because it was the 24 Mar prediction that drove things like the need for 40,000 ventilators.

Actual data so far looks diff than the 24 Mar prediction

The 24 Mar projection assumed the cases doubled every 3 days. Now the doubling wouldn't really go all the way to 11 Apr because at some point the exponential slows down and peaks.

As of about 10pm tonight the "cumulative cases" for NY are at 92,739.

Even that needs an adjustment. With 2382 deaths and 6507 recoveries, the "active cases" for NY are 83,850

IHME is now predicting the NY peak resource day is 9 April (earlier than the prior assumption of 11 Apr)

So unless something very dramatic happens, the 24 Mar projection will be pretty far off. In particular that means NY would need a lot less ventilators than 40,000.

Let's hope that is how it plays out.

In defense of Cuomo, the data at 24 Mar did look like a doubling every 3 days. The rate slowed down a little after 24 Mar.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

one more thing to watch is the NY death rate. At the moment it looks like a drop for today, but we will need to see what the final is for today and what happens tomorrow.

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
To that I would simply offer...Never gonna happen. The country is too big and our society simply isn't going to bend to the level of tracking and control you're alluding to. The is however a warning that government needs to be well aware of. The longer you hold people down in their homes while their lives and livelihoods disappear before their eyes, the less cooperative they are gonna be.

Contact tracing isn't really tracking and control - it's someone sitting down with an infected person and saying, "please tell me every person you've talked to and every place you've gone for the last two weeks so we can try to find them and make sure no one else gets sick."

That's why it is only possible if the active number of cases is small.

Certainly if we were all willing to accept constant government surveillance, an automated system could do the same thing at a much larger scale, but I agree that would be a very dangerous precedent to set and I would absolutely oppose such measures.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Houston Police Chief: Burglaries Up 20 Percent After Coronavirus Stay-Home Orders
Free not, ole Art's got it all under control. Honest question. How in the hell do moron's like this idiot get elected to a position of authority like Chief of police? Garbage collector, sure. Chief of police? Holy Hell!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/meMQF4G9D4g" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Guess he's taking a page out of the Baltimore Mayors handbook. It didn't work there. A few people got shot this past weekend even after a plea not to clog the hospitals with shooting victims.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
this is the next update comparing actual NY data to the Cuomo prediction on 24 Mar

This is important because it was the 24 Mar prediction that drove things like the need for 40,000 ventilators.

Actual data so far looks diff than the 24 Mar prediction.
My bet, that delta continues to increase even as things get worse for NY.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Houston Police Chief: Burglaries Up 20 Percent After Coronavirus Stay-Home Orders
Free not, ole Art's got it all under control. Honest question. How in the hell do moron's like this idiot get elected to a position of authority like Chief of police? Garbage collector, sure. Chief of police? Holy Hell!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/meMQF4G9D4g" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Guess he's taking a page out of the Baltimore Mayors handbook. It didn't work there. A few people got shot this past weekend even after a plea not to clog the hospitals with shooting victims.
Well, if they'd improve their damn aim a bit, they wouldn't be adding to hospital volumes. Wink

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Just what exactly is your problem? Explain this to me.

Thank you Para

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to the RT’s and the anesthesiologists who are literally looking down the throats of COVID patients. I heard a statistic this morning that 20% of those on vents survive in the COVID ICU

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you look back at Skins' post history in this thread, that post looks like dark sarcasm aimed at the "put everything back to normal right now" idea.

Something in the vein of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," which (not seriously) suggested we could fix a lot of the world's problems if we just started eating babies.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something in the vein of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," which (not seriously) suggested we could fix a lot of the world's problems if we just started eating babies.

Don't give the Dems new ideas.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

That's an old one, it was published in 1729. Smile

The full title is "A Modest Proposal For preventing the Children of Poor People From being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Publick."

It's about as dark as it gets, and was satirizing less extreme but pretty terrible social policies and attitudes.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Rumor is that there will be a Presidential order to wear masks, reversing earlier CDC guidelines.

I am ready...

Mask - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

That's an old one, it was published in 1729. Smile

I am aware. But most Dems don't read, much less even know who Swift was.

Besides, I was sort of tongue in cheek referencing the whole Pizza Gate thing.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Supposed Amazon worker agering women everywhere. (NSFW language)

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3BWQj2-8t8s

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post