SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Ensigmatic, in response to your last post where you said:

So when you say, "people exhibiting a bit of good judgement and consideration for other." Which people are you talking about specifically? What portion of the population, in your estimation, would need to get onboard to have any impact?

I'm not an epidemiologist, so I couldn't say what proportion would be necessary to have an impact.

Again, at the risk of looking like a broken record: In the last few excursions my wife and I, or I alone took, prior to this thing really starting to ramp up, I saw not a single individual taking any protective or decontamination measures at all. That was during three "major" shopping trips (Meijer twice, Costco once), a fueling stop, a UPS Store drop off, and a quick trip into a Walmart. Never mind the people at my gym, even after having been told to do so, not wiping-down equipment after use.

See also Prefontaine's follow-up, a few posts back, and the ETA on mine.

So, how many, what proportion of the population, would it take? Dunno. How 'bout we start out with "some" and try to work up to "many?" Maybe even strive for "most?"

Your post makes my point. Despite your observations that no one is taking such steps, you suggest that "some portion" of the population will somehow start doing so voluntarily. Do you not see the folly in your proposal? Even now with worldwide awareness, forced lockdown and daily briefings there are a lot of people completely ignoring these suggested changes in behavior. How exactly does this voluntary sea change in behavior take hold?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Stopped at Target yesterday about 1 pm and noted the following, some of which was kind of surprising:

1. Was pretty quiet, thank God
2. They had one guy whose only job was to wipe down shopping carts and direct you to the cleaned ones.
3. They had one guy whose only job was to wipe down the CC terminals after each use at the self checkout lanes
4. They had a lot of TP! I guess supply is finally catching up to demand
5. There were happy-sounding-yet-dystopian PA announcements about minding your “Social Distancing” at all times
6. Food shelves were not stripped bare like in other supermarkets in the past few weeks around here. There are odd shortages in things like Vitamin C, pasta sauce, disinfectant wipes

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I guess it's good to be King...

King of Thailand Maha Vajiralongkorn is currently self-isolating from the Chinese coronavirus in a luxury hotel in Germany with an entourage of 20 concubines and female servants, local reports claimed this week.

While the majority of hotels in Germany are closed as a result of the nationwide quarantine, the 67-year-old is believed to have booked out the entire Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl in the Alpine resort town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen after local officials gave him “special permission” to do so, according to the German tabloid Bild.

Rather than isolate alone or with close family members, Vajiralongkorn moved in a team of 20 concubines and female servants. His planned entourage of over one hundred people was reportedly scaled down after 119 members were sent back to Thailand amid suspicions they had contracted the virus.

It is unclear if any of the king’s four wives are in the hotel with him.

https://www.breitbart.com/nati...-20-female-servants/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24072 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market near me had people lined up in outside in the sun 6 feet apart waiting to enter the store. Everyone had masks on. They're the only store locally that carries tbe soda my wife likes. I said screw it and went Publix. On the plus side, Publix had a lot of new young female cashiers and baggers. I guess the regular cashiers and baggers are staying home.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Ensigmatic, in response to your last post where you said:

So when you say, "people exhibiting a bit of good judgement and consideration for other." Which people are you talking about specifically? What portion of the population, in your estimation, would need to get onboard to have any impact?

I'm not an epidemiologist, so I couldn't say what proportion would be necessary to have an impact.

Again, at the risk of looking like a broken record: In the last few excursions my wife and I, or I alone took, prior to this thing really starting to ramp up, I saw not a single individual taking any protective or decontamination measures at all. That was during three "major" shopping trips (Meijer twice, Costco once), a fueling stop, a UPS Store drop off, and a quick trip into a Walmart. Never mind the people at my gym, even after having been told to do so, not wiping-down equipment after use.

See also Prefontaine's follow-up, a few posts back, and the ETA on mine.

So, how many, what proportion of the population, would it take? Dunno. How 'bout we start out with "some" and try to work up to "many?" Maybe even strive for "most?"
I must agree with you here. There is nothing that determines some segments of the population are immune to practicing common sence measures to protect themselves and others. Not money, not emotions, geography. Jim does make a valid point that portions of the people think they are above this and will throw caution to the wind. After only 2 1/2 weeks of people trying in some way to practice safe measures, its plain to see people are fed up with it. Some just shrug it off. I would care to know more about what is going on behind the scenes. How dedicated are the scientists working on this? Because this is solvable and should be attacked 24/7 untill it is fixed. Did the President not alot 8 1/2 billion in the beginning to CDC or NIH? It is important and needs to be discovered and dealt with. We have the minds to end the virus.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Someone on here must have the cure to the human condition because there's plenty of people that think everyone is just gonna stop doing nasty things and washing up at every opportunity. YEAH RIGHT! Never gonna happen. Ever see the homeless take a bath or shower? Nope. How about those that can't even put on a bit of deodorant to cover up their mustiness? You see, there's just not gonna be a solution that is going to make people live cleaner, especially here in the states.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's not the CDC or NIH that will provide treatments or cures or vaccines, it will be private enterprise.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I guess it's good to be King...

King of Thailand Maha Vajiralongkorn is currently self-isolating from the Chinese coronavirus in a luxury hotel in Germany with an entourage of 20 concubines and female servants, local reports claimed this week.

While the majority of hotels in Germany are closed as a result of the nationwide quarantine, the 67-year-old is believed to have booked out the entire Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl in the Alpine resort town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen after local officials gave him “special permission” to do so, according to the German tabloid Bild.

Rather than isolate alone or with close family members, Vajiralongkorn moved in a team of 20 concubines and female servants. His planned entourage of over one hundred people was reportedly scaled down after 119 members were sent back to Thailand amid suspicions they had contracted the virus.

It is unclear if any of the king’s four wives are in the hotel with him.

https://www.breitbart.com/nati...-20-female-servants/

“Money for nothing and your chicks for free”

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Stopped at Target yesterday about 1 pm and noted the following, some of which was kind of surprising:

1. Was pretty quiet, thank God
2. They had one guy whose only job was to wipe down shopping carts and direct you to the cleaned ones.
3. They had one guy whose only job was to wipe down the CC terminals after each use at the self checkout lanes
4. They had a lot of TP! I guess supply is finally catching up to demand
5. There were happy-sounding-yet-dystopian PA announcements about minding your “Social Distancing” at all times
6. Food shelves were not stripped bare like in other supermarkets in the past few weeks around here. There are odd shortages in things like Vitamin C, pasta sauce, disinfectant wipes

Pretty much exactly the same at my usual supermarket over here, except that they don't have self-checkout. They have put markings on the floor for proper distancing in the lines, and installed plexiglass panes and plastic curtains around the conveyors to protect the checkout staff. Toilet paper shelves are still bare and I couldn't get my favorite canned lentice soup this week, but otherwise supply is largely back to normal. Though there is some concern about seasonal produce like asparagus and strawberries, which are hand-picked by mostly Eastern European harvest helpers who will have trouble coming here this year with borders closed.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Please trim down your quoted sections... no one needs to see giant paragraphs or the rest again.

Abbreviate it or something. (That stuff you said about China, Your Meme, Your BS about X, etc)

It only takes a few seconds to edit. You can do it...

Please and thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Please trim down your quoted sections... no one needs to see giant paragraphs or the rest again.
Abuse of Nesting? A strength or an insecurity? See the whole story, tonight at 11!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
This is a presentation by Dr. Sucharit Bhakdi, Professor Emeritus of Medical Microbiology at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. He asks Chancellor Merkel five questions, echoing what others such as Dr. John Ionnnidis at Stanford have also stated. We are making drastic, deeply damaging decisions based on incomplete and inaccurate data. It should only take a couple of weeks to get the badly needed population exposure data and then make an informed decision on the best way forward.

Link to Video

It is worth a listen. Turn on closed captions to see the English subtitles.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your post makes my point. Despite your observations that no one is taking such steps, you suggest that "some portion" of the population will somehow start doing so voluntarily.

Somehow you've misinterpreted what I've been saying. What I've been saying is that, unless people do, it'll just ramp back up, and everything I've seen suggests few will.

I do have something new to report: Some people, at least, appear to be taking what's happening seriously. My wife and I just went shopping to replenish depleted supplies. Saw people wearing masks (mostly ineffectively) and gloves. Maybe about... 50% of the people I saw.

OTOH there were the two guys, at separate stores, that had masks hanging loose below their chins. Joked with one of them "That'll be more effective if you wear it," with a smile. "You're probably right," he replied, then proceeded to fit it to his face with the bare hands he'd just used to handle store product and use the PoS terminal

Our N95 masks are currently hanging outside in the sun & breeze. Hopefully some bird won't happen along and think "Hey! Pre-fab nests!" Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
there were the two guys I saw, at separate stores, that had masks hanging loose

One of my radiologists while in the store yesterday saw someone with an N95 mask on, which are in increasingly short supply in their hospital

Of course the guy let off a big sneeze in the middle of the store. Even better, he pulled the mask away from his face first before the sneeze cut loose.

He's lucky he didn't get a butt whooping after that instead of just people staring at him like he was an idiot.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I have expressed my disdain for buying crap for the chicom machine for years on this very forum. The vast majority here have popood my sentiment on that very topic and boosted how satisfied they were with their Chinese trinket's. I surely hope all of this will wake those of you up. One can only hope.

And yes I too have products from the communist shithole. But try very hard to spend my $ elsewhere when possible.

I'm with you ORC - I go out of my way to buy more expensive American products when I can and voice my displeasure at companies that sell us out for Chinese manufacturing. Unfortunately sometimes it is unavoidable, but I am hoping after this people start to wake up and that will change.

They're not our friends. They'll never be our friends. I will do everything possible to avoid supporting them.

With several large exceptions, it is quite possible to avoid buying products from the PRC. I'll touch the exceptions first:

Computers
Phones
TVs
Small appliances
Luggage

Just looking around my house, I'll go down a quick list of what I have, and where it's made:

Guns - US/Europe
Furniture - US/Vietnam/Indonesia
Bedding - US/Europe/India
Small Appliances - Vietnam, Malaysia, some China (Instant Pot)
Cutlery - Europe
Clothing - US/Europe/Vietnam/Indonesia
Tools - US/Europe

With those exceptions, it's fairly easy to avoid Chinese garbage

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market near me had people lined up in outside in the sun 6 feet apart waiting to enter the store. Everyone had masks on. They're the only store locally that carries tbe soda my wife likes. I said screw it and went Publix. On the plus side, Publix had a lot of new young female cashiers and baggers. I guess the regular cashiers and baggers are staying home.

interesting -- opposite of my experience lately

Publix is swamped but the smaller Walmart venue was easy shopping

i try to go early

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Your post makes my point. Despite your observations that no one is taking such steps, you suggest that "some portion" of the population will somehow start doing so voluntarily.

Somehow you've misinterpreted what I've been saying. What I've been saying is that, unless people do, it'll just ramp back up, and everything I've seen suggests few will.

I do have something new to report: Some people, at least, appear to be taking what's happening seriously. My wife and I just went shopping to replenish depleted supplies. Saw people wearing masks (mostly ineffectively) and gloves. Maybe about... 50% of the people I saw.

OTOH there were the two guys, at separate stores, that had masks hanging loose below their chins. Joked with one of them "That'll be more effective if you wear it," with a smile. "You're probably right," he replied, then proceeded to fit it to his face with the bare hands he'd just used to handle store product and use the PoS terminal

Our N95 masks are currently hanging outside in the sun & breeze. Hopefully some bird won't happen along and think "Hey! Pre-fab nests!" Smile

Yes, you continue to both acknowledge that human nature will not change yet you repeadly state that it needs to change and also needs to be voluntary and sustained. Why keep offering up what you acknowledge as an untenable solution when asked directly such as SigMonkey did.

He point blank asked you to stop beating around the bush and suggest a solution as you are so prolific in your assertions about other people's reactions to this crisis. Yet again you offer up mass behavior change then bristle at the suggestion of any type of enforcement to enact these changes. What's the point of that?

Let's get to it then. Ensigmatic is king of the USA until this crisis ends. How do you win? All resources are at your disposal and you have absolute authority over every aspect of the country. Go....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Costco has a similar setup, 25 in at a time, maintain spacing while in line, and they tell you up front whats out, TP, etc,

Took me about 20 minutes to get in, line wasn't long, had to make a return, that was walk right in and took just a minute, Gas at a buck50 filled up truck...

Waited in line to pickup some wine, meat, olives, etc...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pelosi creates new House committee with subpoena power for coronavirus oversight

Guess who the chair of the committee is?

James "This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision" Clyburn D-SC.

I'm sure it's going to be a completely bipartisan, fair, and transparent committee only focusing on making sure there is no government waste.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My Costco adventure this morning: 2-1/2 hours to get in. Thread on TP hoarding

Costco 01 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post