SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
...Likely will take several weeks to see an effect, but the visible data would be a dramatic dropoff of infections, and fewer hospitalizations for those who are infected. As noted in the briefings, everything we seeing in the news or from data has a lag - deaths tomorrow will be from infections last week, so almost certainly more bad news for the next month. But I really believe this may turn the corner as a result of this really integral structure of the virus.

As I understand it, in CV19 terms, time travel to our future-state can be done by looking at China, or Italy. So would we see that in China now if we should expect it here. The difficulty being the variables of how they are iron-fist dealing with the population control, and also the reporting accuracy questions.

To restate what I think I'm hearing you say: If this mutates a tiny bit, it's infectiousness should drop. If that's a correct understanding of your comments, then it is infectious because of its genetic makeup specifically and not simply because it is new to human kind?

Thanks!

Correct. More and more, SARS-CoV-2 looks like an accident of creation, and we are the unlucky recipients. It appears to be a combination of viruses, from its genome among betacoronaviruses, or a "chimera," with a unique protein shell that is specific for receptors on human cells. So unlike a pathogen that has been lurking in the jungle, waiting for a random opportunity to infect the right host, it is new to the world, and us. Caused by the mega-trillions of changes viruses undergo daily. This one just happened to be bad. Really bad. It's infectivity is actually it's lethality, because in the process of its replication it destroys the host cell. Times a billion. Our own immune systems exacerbate that, but it would be bad just for the rate and number of cells it destroys. And it owes that to its exterior coat, which it came by purely by accident. It's also durable enough, in the virus world, to spread by droplets in the air, or contact from surfaces recently infected.

Another RNA virus, a rhabdovirus, Rabies Lyssavirus, can be transmitted (as far as we know) almost exclusively by the bite of a rabid animal. It is 100% fatal in an infected host - once symptomatic, there is no treatment or cure (one symptomatic survivor to date of which I'm aware). If it had the same transmission as this virus, it would eradicate 80% of humanity - maybe more - within a year. Purely by chance, it has not.

So the "shell" of this "wee virus thingy" - I love the Scots - is both its weapon and its weakness. Randomly acquired, delicate, and very specific. How vulnerable remains to be seen.

Thanks Doc.

Chimera vs. Bellerophon

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

In other news, my 63 year old friend with asthma that tested positive and was in isolation and receiving treatment has been discharged this morning. I’ll give him a call and update you all on his experience later. He was originally very afraid because his blood type is A and that was supposedly a bad thing for his outcome.

Crazy how my other super healthy and younger buddy was on a respirator for 2 weeks, almost died, and now has 30% reduced lung function.

Sounds like any other illness. What kills me may not kill you, and vice versa. Age may help survival rate but there are young people that die every day from various illnesses.

My neighbor's test just came back positive (a week later.) She showed no symptoms but was tested due to her job (nurse.)

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
AUSTIN, Texas — At least 28 University of Texas at Austin students tested positive for coronavirus after returning from a spring break trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Austin Public Health announced Tuesday.

Those students traveled on a chartered flight from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on March 14 and returned March 19, according to an airport official. There were at least 70 students on the outbound flight, and most of them returned on the chartered flight.

But some returned on commercial flights, Austin Public Health said.

The spring break trip, which cost students around $2,000 each, was organized by a Nevada-based company called JusCollege.

Unbelievably irresponsible actions on the part of both the students and, maybe especially, the travel company who planned the trip.

KVUE news story

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Am I buying into conspiracy soup or would stuff like this be contributing to inflated death counts?

I read this guidance from the Ohio Department of Health, and it makes me wonder what kind of pressure doctors are facing...

"COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death."

"When 'probable COVID-19' is indicated on the death certificate, ODH/VS will consider these to be COVID-19 cases with regard to death reporting."

https://med.ohio.gov/Portals/0...9wh5qjTuehwTchzCIZ3U

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:

In other news, my 63 year old friend with asthma that tested positive and was in isolation and receiving treatment has been discharged this morning. I’ll give him a call and update you all on his experience later. He was originally very afraid because his blood type is A and that was supposedly a bad thing for his outcome.

Crazy how my other super healthy and younger buddy was on a respirator for 2 weeks, almost died, and now has 30% reduced lung function.

Sounds like any other illness. What kills me may not kill you, and vice versa. Age may help survival rate but there are young people that die every day from various illnesses.

My neighbor's test just came back positive after her test came back (a week later.) She showed no symptoms but was tested due to her job (nurse.)

That's one of the issues that makes the coronavirus particularly difficult to track and control. We have known since very early that many or most people have mild symptoms, but it has become clear that there are also a lot of people that are completely asymptomatic but still able to transmit the virus.

In an interview on Monday, the director of the CDC estimated that as many as 25% of infected individuals may never develop noticeable symptoms.

https://www.npr.org/sections/h...-going-to-be-with-us

In one sense, that's a good thing, because it means there are a lot of undetected mild cases - meaning the fatality rate is somewhat lower than has been observed based on confirmed cases. However, in another sense, it's a bad thing, because it means people who don't even know they are sick can spread the virus, making it harder to control.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Am I buying into conspiracy soup or would stuff like this be contributing to inflated death counts?...<.snip..>

I don't think it's contributing. The existence of another illness does not mean the person was certain to die, at the point in time they expired, without the existence of covid-19. I don't think there are many cases where it's gonna throw the numbers off, at least not as bad as if the opposite instructions were given, i.e. "They had copd, heart disease, and diabetes so lets ignore the positive covid-19 signs because they were gonna die sometime anyway."

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I realize this is a drift from the usual “It’s dangerous,” “No, it’s not,” back and forthing here, but in the spirit of not opening a new thread related to the topic, I have a question about N95 and similar masks.

Your tone of condescension in every single post is really getting old.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Would a 10mm penetrate its shell? Big Grin

To smithereens. Unfortunately, plays hell on the host as well. Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:

My neighbor's test just came back positive (a week later.) She showed no symptoms but was tested due to her job (nurse.)

This particular 63 year old is just about as unhealthy as they come, just about every bad health issue possible. Diabetes, asthma, over weight, sleep apnea, the list goes on.

Other guy? Healthy overall. No co-morbidities.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Would a 10mm penetrate its shell? Big Grin

To smithereens. Unfortunately, plays hell on the host as well. Smile

Oh.... <looks in safe...> Maybe something smaller, then...?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Am I buying into conspiracy soup or would stuff like this be contributing to inflated death counts?

I read this guidance from the Ohio Department of Health, and it makes me wonder what kind of pressure doctors are facing...

"COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death."

"When 'probable COVID-19' is indicated on the death certificate, ODH/VS will consider these to be COVID-19 cases with regard to death reporting."

https://med.ohio.gov/Portals/0...9wh5qjTuehwTchzCIZ3U

No, you are correct in questioning this. The experts don't want to be wrong - so why not just chase the curve?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
If you get infected, then recover, are you immune?

Can you go lick door knobs in the Corona ward and not be in danger?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you get infected, then recover, are you immune?

Can you go lick door knobs in the Corona ward and not be in danger?
They don't yet know the extent or duration of any immunity that may occur.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Looking at the IHME projections for Florida, New York, and Michigan, one thing that strikes me as odd is both New York and Michigan are done 1 month from today while Florida is done 3 months from today. Why the prolonged projection in Florida? My dad might be right to keep his plan to go to Michigan in May.
Florida has not mandated shutdowns ,spring break and senior noncompliance are issues. Regional travel with New Orleans ?
Don't forget NY people fleeing NY for their summer / family homes in FL.

And Orlando / Miami have a lot of same tourist issues as NYC, albeit on a smaller level.

Many shutdowns have been mandated in Florida on a state (schools, state parks, etc.) county, and city basis. Voluntary compliance with recommendations is high in my county, there'd be no need for a mandate.

Of the 23 cases in my county all of them are residents of Florida, 3 are from NY, 1 from LA (the state), and the first came from Egypt/Israel. The data isn't specific, but I'd be willing to be that those listed as non-travel exposure, but contact with known infected we're infected by one of the 5 travel related folks.

I've never heard the phrase "summer home in Florida" before. Is this the new thing? Wink

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
They had on YouTube last week teenagers going into bathroom stalls and licking toilet seats, because they can’t get the virus. How stupid can people get ?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Looking at the IHME projections for Florida, New York, and Michigan, one thing that strikes me as odd is both New York and Michigan are done 1 month from today while Florida is done 3 months from today. Why the prolonged projection in Florida? My dad might be right to keep his plan to go to Michigan in May.

Florida has not mandated shutdowns ,spring break and senior noncompliance are issues. Regional travel with New Orleans ?

Well, he finally caved to the pressure.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well that's what I get for not turning on the news today.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
if you're not medical, give your n95 mask(s) to those that need it. a homemade mask or non-medical mask will keep you from touching your mouth or nose, and eye protection (or glasses) cover your eyes.

they sell cotton washable masks on etsy that will keep you from infecting yourself.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
They had on YouTube last week teenagers going into bathroom stalls and licking toilet seats, because they can’t get the virus. How stupid can people get ?

Been a loooong time since I sat in a bio class. Isn't that called natural selection?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
POS Jos Scarborough:

“Everybody saw [COVID-19] coming in early January”

really ?

World Health Organization on January 14, 2020: “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China”

In late January, Joe Biden was calling President Trump xenophobic for cutting travel to China

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534...ly-january-you-hack/

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post