SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
French Official Says Quarantine Should Not Be Enforced In Migrant Areas To Avoid Riots

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...nt-areas-avoid-riots

A top government official in France has admitted that draconian lockdown measures being imposed on the rest of the population shouldn’t be implemented in the country’s migrant-heavy ghettos in order to prevent riots.

In a separate video conference call, Nunez told other officials that restricting movement and shutting down shops in France’s infamous banlieues risks igniting violent social disorder if enforced too rigorously.

A regional defense zone prefect who was in on the call agreed that businesses that had been closed down in other areas of France should remain open in poorer neighborhoods in order to help with “social mediation.”

“This undermining of the laws that Macron declared as essential, this clear disregard for the population as a whole, comes at a time when police, ambulance and firefighters face record levels of hostility when they venture into the suburbs where gangs set cars on fire then attack them when they arrive to help,” writes Damian Wilson.

What a cluster fuck they have made. Maybe this is their way of thinning the herd. You have areas where you afraid to enforce laws that could save lives.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most people act as if you get this, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!

Yet, the death rate is 1.4%

So let's freak out and ruin more lives by shutting everything down!
Oh wait, that's not rational.

I would assume most are sitting back, reading and trying to keep up with the mountain of posts to this thread everyday.
I know I'm in that camp and appriciate erj_pilot for trying to keep the situation grounded.

It seems as if this situation and the media has infected some of the members here. Causing undue harm to themselves and fanning the flame to keep the fire burning.

Others have fire extinguishers and are trying to get the situation under control and back to normal again.

We all need to take a deep breathe and look at the facts instead of the sensationalisms. This is happening and sadly, it's not going to go away overnight. So, dont let the 'game' get out of hand.

Wishing everybody a safe outcome.

<<Backing away and going back to my cage.>>

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I've been following this thread since day one but have avoided posting in it like the coronavirus. (Ha, see what I did there? Razz)

Anyway here is my 2 cents-

Been following news of this crap since it was affecting only China. I picked up some extra TP and hand sanitizer back in February, about that same time I stopped the practice of shaking hands with folks. Does that make me hysterical? I don't feel panicked. Just seemed prudent to me, same as strapping on a pistol to run to the grocery store. I doubt many here on this forum would call that irrational. I'm wishing now that I would have stocked up a little more on basic essentials so I could avoid the stores longer.

I hate being sick, haven't really even had a cold for the last couple years and I attribute that to my practice basic common sense approach to basic hygiene. My job has had me in just about every type laboratory environment over the last 25 years, now working full time on the central campus of a major university, I look at all those kids and they are NASTY carriers of all kinds of stuff I don't want. Nobody has to tell me to wash my hands and to not touch my face. Thankfully, the kids were sent packing weeks ago.

I'm under 60 but have high blood pressure. I had bacterial pneumonia once when I was in my 20's. I sure am not interested in going through that again now in my 50's. Did I mention I hate being sick?

Look at all of the information about this crap that there is out there. It's staggering, Overwhelming. Every social media venue has statisticians, infectious disease experts and just plain folks that are damn smarter than everyone else coming out of the woodwork with opinions and nary one of them agrees with any of the others. The statistics are shit. How can they be anything else without complete testing?

I'm just watching the daily death counts and I'm seeing the story. This is not nothing. This is something. I guess that opinion makes me "hysterical". Put me in the doomer camp. Shoot, I better get around to cleaning my rifle.

I'm still working but my retirement funds have been set back 3 years and I don't think it's done yet. I plan to retire in 5 so I'm hoping for the best in spite of all of the usual commie assholes doing what they do, taking advantage of this crisis to further enhance their wealth and power.

The good news the university is a ghost town, traffic is nearly non-existent and you can park any damn where you want in Ann Arbor any day of the week now, Ha. When all this blows over in a few weeks, months?, Years? I'll look back with nostalgia on that part.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Dr Mercola and Dr Saul on the use of Vitamin C for Coronavirus
Story at-a-glance

The only real defense against COVID-19 is your own immune system, which works best when fed right. While changing your diet is a commonsense solution for the long term, a rapid-response strategy would be to use vitamin C
Vitamin C strengthens your immune system and kills pathogens, including viruses, when taken in high doses
Other important immune boosting nutrients are vitamin D, magnesium and zinc

During cold and flu season I take an extra 2000 mg/day of vitamin C. I also take 2000 IU of vitamin D per day in wintertime as I get very little sun. I take 500 mg of magnesium every other day, mainly to reduce the incidence of charlie horses. Our multi-vitamin contains 11 mg of zinc. Since the onset of SARS-CoV-2 I also take a table spoon of elderberry juice daily.

Just before this all started, I picked up D3 in 5000 IU gels and Zn 50mg. Vitamin C can be helpful when there is higher levels of oxidative stress (higher glucose levels during times of illness). I'm probably below 25g of carbohydrates per day but plenty of protein and fat in the freezer/fridge. I do not trust this virus not to have long lasting effects for those surviving ventilation or even unhospitalized respiratory symptoms with underlying metabolic issues. Eating real food, absolutely eliminating seed oils and processed sugar can't hurt and might help.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
Shoot, I better get around to cleaning my rifle.
That's the last time in this forum that anyone uses that phrase in the way it's being used.

I started a thread back in 2015 after terrorist attacks in France, when we had an America-hating asshole in the White House. The "clean my rifle" is a metaphor, but members kept coming into the thread and talking about equipment, when the thread was really about awareness and self-reliance. After pointing this out repeatedly, and to no avail, I just locked the thread.

And now, we've gotten to the point where members use it sarcastically, and I don't like it and I damn sure do not appreciate it. Well, no more. Cut it out. Don't let me see it again, and "oh, I didn't know" is not going to be a valid excuse when I drop the hammer on this shit. Enough.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like the shutting things down and quarantining is working compared to other countries that had low counts of the virus at the same time of us (IE everyone besides Italy) according to this chart when you look at it per million people of population (I can't get the chart to post on here, just put the link in your browser:

https://static.pjmedia.com/tre...1-1024x723.png[/IMG]

That being said: Fauci just said America certain to have over a million cases and over 100,000 deaths (a few hours ago)

https://www.kare11.com/article...c4-b68e-c48f1b3c5b0e

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, horse shit.

STOP SCARING PEOPLE!!

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Dr Mercola and Dr Saul on the use of Vitamin C for Coronavirus
Story at-a-glance

The only real defense against COVID-19 is your own immune system, which works best when fed right. While changing your diet is a commonsense solution for the long term, a rapid-response strategy would be to use vitamin C
Vitamin C strengthens your immune system and kills pathogens, including viruses, when taken in high doses
Other important immune boosting nutrients are vitamin D, magnesium and zinc

During cold and flu season I take an extra 2000 mg/day of vitamin C. I also take 2000 IU of vitamin D per day in wintertime as I get very little sun. I take 500 mg of magnesium every other day, mainly to reduce the incidence of charlie horses. Our multi-vitamin contains 11 mg of zinc. Since the onset of SARS-CoV-2 I also take a table spoon of elderberry juice daily.
Man I wish I could follow a daily regiman like you. Maybe add B 6 and B12. The C I have taken for decades. Ran out a week ago. I firmly believe Vitamin C benefits me.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Just a little humor here Lefty - maybe you should stay away from Asia? Big Grin

In 8 years of frequent travel, you've going to pick something up now and then. Presumably due to lack of resistance to strains of cold/fly on the other side. I'm probably more immune now, in general. I didn't get the deep hack some people had in the office in Jan/Feb, which could have been undiagnosed COVID19...

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Pretty sure this is all Lefty's fault. I think he's Patient Zero...

Nah, I'm patient #! Big Grin Winning!

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
My friend who has it from the texts on the previous page is from North Jersey, he’s currently at a hospital in the absolute south of NJ.

He went south to get away from the craziness

I hope he feels better soon.

One thing is for certain. This thing has generated a lot of craziness that comes from all directions and the first victim is common sense. And that gets exacerbated by the media. This thing, and there's no real good term for it, has so many people pulled in so many different directions it's hard to get a handle on it. Some places are going draconian, some are more reasonable in their response. All anyone can do is be safe and weather the storm.

I'm in a more rural area and so we are seeing some real weird results. I keep hearing about folks bitching about the toilet paper issue, and how in some places folks are being limited on what they can buy. There hasn't been any toilet paper here that I've seen in at least 3 weeks at this point. No isopropyl nor hand sanitizer either. No cleaning wipes etc. In the last three weeks I've found bread once. When my state started the "lockdown" that is much less draconian than some places, beer took a major hit in the stores.

I have been out some, to get things, to work. Most folks are just going about their business. The entertainment places and sit down restaurants are getting hurt. Most non exempt places are just limiting their customers to ten at a time. Everyone is being polite and keeping their distance mostly. The few conversations I've had with folks have been along the line of "this sucks..stay safe". Most normal(non media) people are just being reasonable.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How come the good Dr is quoted as saying the number of infections but not quoted for saying 100k deaths? There is no quote stating that in your linked article. The reporter wrote it but, what, didn’t think an actual quote was necessary? This is a bad disease being turned into a media circus in this country.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, horse shit.

STOP SCARING PEOPLE!!

Not sure if directed at an article or member but, this is my motto also.

Wife doesn't like it when I post this and the percentage numbers (population vs infected) on a local neighborhood forum.

What's a hella lot worse is closing the beaches and parks in San Diego to anyone not exercising. (My personally thought is it's all about the optics)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's directed at anyone who thinks we're all gullible fools and who is trying to manipulate data related to this virus- or just flat-out make up shit- in order to frighten people who don't know any better.

Well, I know better, and this shit is insulting my intelligence. One hundred thousand deaths? Stop pulling dramatic-sounding numbers out of your lying ass.
This Fauci asshole is nothing more than another pandering bureaucrat, saying whatever the fuck he thinks will benefit himself the most. "Doctor"? Perhaps, at some time in the past he was a physician, but now, he's just another lying bureaucrat.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
That being said: Fauci just said America certain to have over a million cases and over 100,000 deaths (a few hours ago)

Well, about 165,000 die each year of COPD. I'd imagine that population would be well represented among the COVID deaths, so it's not necessarily an additional 100K that would have lived another 10 years if not for this.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Still less than 0.04% of the 300M people in the US are infected.

And of that 0.04%, less than 1% have died.

AND of that 1%, 0.0% had pre-existing conditions.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NASCAR is racing in Texas ( on fox) on the tube. Are they still racing if no one is in the bleachers ? How long can that be affordable ? W/ o gate fees. Wait a minute, something is amiss.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat lighter note Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Well, about 165,000 die each year of COPD. I'd imagine that population would be well represented among the COVID deaths, so it's not necessarily an additional 100K that would have lived another 10 years if not for this.

And that's the whole thing right there. COVID deaths are co-mingled with COPD, Heart Disease and many other confounding factors. Someone who is on death's door for an existing chronic illness gets COVID19 and dies, it's a COVID death. Even so, the rate is still very low. And the media is trumpeting a child's death as the "first" to prove that it's not just old people that die. There are always exceptions but that does not disprove a known correlation.

Meanwhile ZERO official updates on Tom Hanks and wife, Trudeau's wife, UK PM, and other well-known people that are infected. No celebration of recovery front and center in the media. We all know why not. "INFECTED WITH COVID19" is news. "recovered from mild symptoms in two weeks and is fine now" is not news.

The single most important action that should be taken is restrict entry/exit to nursing homes with vulnerable populations. Self-quarantine all vulnerable people with confounding illnesses. Provide assistance to them as needed. Everyone else, if you are not in a hot zone, go about your business with smart prevention measures.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Still less than 0.04% of the 300M people in the US are infected.

And of that 0.04%, less than 1% have died.

AND of that 1%, 0.0% had pre-existing conditions.

I suspect the number of infected is far greater, which would lower the mortality rate substantially. Throw in that 95% suffer only mild symptoms and the scope of misplaced panic becomes even more pronounced.

I want to see a test that shows if you display antibodies to see how many have already had it and shook it off so we can get back to business.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
NASCAR is racing in Texas ( on fox) on the tube. Are they still racing if no one is in the bleachers ? How long can that be affordable ? W/ o gate fees. Wat a minute, something is amiss.

They aren’t racing. That’s an online game...

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post