SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
apparently the media has decided to get all weirded up about the name...

kung flu

the wu hu flu

whatever

just call it sweet and sour sicken and let the sjw's stew over that one Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
If anything good comes out of this, maybe it will be the elimination of homeless “camps”.

Eliminate the homeless......by corollary you eliminate the camps.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Interesting report. Possibly correct…

“People with Type A blood are significantly more likely to catch coronavirus than those with Type O, Chinese academics have found.

The study in Wuhan - the epicentre of the disease - also found those with Type A blood are more likely to die from COVID-19.”

https://mol.im/a/8122493

Sweet!! since I'm A-, 69 yrs old and have a chronic lung condition. I am being a lot more careful as to what,where and whom I am around. Just glad I live in the U.S.A. and not in Italy!

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
GM and Ford are shutting down for a very simple reason: nobody is going to buy a new vehicle until there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. All the 0% financing isn't going to change that if you still have to make the payments. How many people now working from home even need the vehicle they have? I won't have to take the kids to school, sports practices, confirmation class, church, etc.

We are thinking about selling wife's car, she's working from home now. I have a work vehicle, but likely little to no work next week. I typically do 30 jobs per week, next week I have one scheduled.

Her car is paid for and Worth $20k. Mine was just purchased so I'd break even at best and lose my $8,000 down payment.

Good news her job is secure for a bit. She texted me as I was typing this, after previously tripling her company's revenue over the last two months, she landed a contract moments ago that saves twenty employee's jobs, including two of her very good friends. Good job baby!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I don't know how Trump keeps his composure when he's constantly asked the most ridiculous biased questions from leftist media. This fkn bitch today just had to keep pushing him about the "Chinese" virus. Someone needs to go off on them and their complete lack of integrity in a time when we want answers to actual pertinent questions.

I too am puzzled by this hysteria. If it had originated in Italy instead of China, would it be appropriate to call it the Italian virus?

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I don't know how Trump keeps his composure when he's constantly asked the most ridiculous biased questions from leftist media. This fkn bitch today just had to keep pushing him about the "Chinese" virus. Someone needs to go off on them and their complete lack of integrity in a time when we want answers to actual pertinent questions.

I too am puzzled by this hysteria. If it had originated in Italy instead of China, would it be appropriate to call it the Italian virus?

Never give up an opportunity to call or imply the President a racist.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do they call Ebola, Ebola?

It originated near the Ebola River in Africa.

So it's regular and accurate to call it the Wuhan / Chinese Virus.

Just like if it originated in your house, it could be called the Russ59-Virus, or the Sacramento Virus, or the California Virus.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
GM and Ford are shutting down for a very simple reason: nobody is going to buy a new vehicle until there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. All the 0% financing isn't going to change that if you still have to make the payments. How many people now working from home even need the vehicle they have? I won't have to take the kids to school, sports practices, confirmation class, church, etc.

They shut down because workers refused to work and then walked off the line.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Of course, it's "Poke Trump in the eye" stuff.

We have had "Spanish Flu", "Asian Flu", "Hong Kong Flu", "London Flu" as "named flu".

And, during the many discussions about this virus, the "Spanish Flu" has been brought into the discussion for comparison/contrast, and no one has their panties in a bunch over the pejorative of Spain or her peeps from these hacks.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Just like if it originated in your house, it could be called the Russ59-Virus, or the Sacramento Virus, or the California Virus.

Exactly. No-one seems to get bent when the 1918 influenza pandemic is nicknamed the Spanish Flu. If the President wishes to use the geographically correct term Chinese Flu, I'm fine with it. (I am one-half Chinese.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Many diseases are identified by their points of origin (or the location of Patient Zero). Hence, we have Ebola Zaire (Africa, of course), Marburg (a strain of Ebola discovered by a patient in Germany, even though he got it in Africa), and Ebola RESTON (as in Reston, Virginia - the strain that was found in the monkey quarantine facility near Washington, DC).

So, yeah, WUHAN FLU! As has been stated, the dems never let a crisis go to waste, and they never pass up an opportunity to cry racism.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Exactly. No-one seems to get bent when the 1918 influenza pandemic is nicknamed the Spanish Flu.

And of course that one didn’t even originate in Spain. As many researchers have pointed out, Spain was not under lingering wartime censorship rules (or other attempts to downplay the disease reporting) at the time the disease started spreading and therefore they were the first to report on it in much detail. It should have probably been called the US Army Kansas flu.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Exactly. No-one seems to get bent when the 1918 influenza pandemic is nicknamed the Spanish Flu.

And of course that one didn’t even originate in Spain. As many researchers have pointed out, Spain was not under lingering wartime censorship rules (or other attempts to downplay the disease reporting) at the time the disease started spreading and therefore they were the first to report on it in much detail. It should have probably been called the US Army Kansas flu.

And that one probably originated in China as well. Which will be a topic of considerable discussion when this is over.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were born in 1900 you would have witnessed as an adult the Spanish flu pandemic.World War I,
the Great Depression,World War II,and the cold war with the threat of annihilation by nuclear weapons.

Hopefully when this is over,we will be one of the lucky generations.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that one probably originated in China as well...

Well, Doc, in your expert opinion, would you say that a combination of:
1. "wet" animal markets
2. high population density
3. poor hygiene
might have something to do with the transmission and spread of these viruses?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
And that one probably originated in China as well.

Interesting; I have never run across that idea in all the reading I’ve done on the subject. Any views on how it spread to the US? I don’t recall that there was much Chinese immigration at that time.

Added: Just researched the Chinese Labor Corps that consisted of many Chinese in Europe during the war: American soldiers got infected there then returned to the US, but it was already spreading by that time—? The thing that doesn’t seem to fit that theory was that disease’s short incubation period (as I recall).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

They shut down because workers refused to work and then walked off the line.

Honda is shutting down their Alabama plant for a week minimum, just announced.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
So, yeah, WUHAN FLU!

I couldn't care less about the Wuhan part, but it's not an influenza virus.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Let’s just call it the Chi-rona virus and be done with it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Is there anyone here that has a subscription to the Washington ComPost and doesn't mind cutting and pasting this article here? I am anxious to read this, but I am not going to give that outfit my money.

EDIT: FOUND A BETTER LINK

--------------------------------

https://www.hudson.org/researc...e-office-i-was-there

No the White House Didn't Dissolve its Pandemic Office

by Tim Morrison

President Trump gets his share of criticism — some warranted, much not. But recently the president’s critics have chosen curious ground to question his response to the coronavirus outbreak since it began spreading from Wuhan, China, in December.

It has been alleged by multiple officials of the Obama administration, including in The Post, that the president and his then-national security adviser, John Bolton, “dissolved the office” at the White House in charge of pandemic preparedness. Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious.

Now, I’m not naive. This is Washington. It’s an election year. Officials out of power want back into power after November. But the middle of a worldwide health emergency is not the time to be making tendentious accusations.

When I joined the National Security Council staff in 2018, I inherited a strong and skilled staff in the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate. This team of national experts together drafted the National Biodefense Strategy of 2018 and an accompanying national security presidential memorandum to implement it; an executive order to modernize influenza vaccines; and coordinated the United States’ response to the Ebola epidemic in Congo, which was ultimately defeated in 2020.

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.

One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled.

The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected — perhaps a recognition of the importance of that mission to the president, who, after all, in 2018 issued a presidential memorandum to finally create real accountability in the federal government’s expansive biodefense system.

The NSC is really the only place in government where there is a staff that ensures the commander in chief gets all the options he needs to make a decision, and then makes sure that decision is actually implemented. I worry that further reductions at the NSC could impair its capabilities, but the current staffing level is fully up to the job.

You might ask: Why does all this matter? Won’t it just be a historical footnote?

It matters because when people play politics in the middle of a crisis, we are all less safe.

We are less safe because public servants are distracted when they are dragged into politics.

We’re less safe because the American people have been recklessly scared into doubting the competence of their government to help keep them safe, secure and healthy.

And we’re less safe because when we’re focused on political gamesmanship, we’re not paying enough attention to the real issues. For example, we should be united behind ensuring that, in a future congressional appropriations package, U.S. companies are encouraged to return to our shores from China the production of everything from medical face masks and personal protective equipment to vitamin C and penicillin.

And we should be united in demanding to know why the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) was aware of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan early in December, maybe even November, and didn’t tell the rest of the world, when stopping the deadly spread might have been possible.

Just as the United States has fought against fake information aimed at our elections, we should fight back against CCP propagandists. They are not only campaigning against the use of the term “Wuhan virus” (a more geographically accurate description than “Spanish flu” ever was about the 1918 pandemic) but now also promoting the false claim that covid-19 was created by the U.S. Army. Public health officials have pinpointed a wild-animal market in Wuhan as the outbreak’s origin.

There are real threats emanating from this pandemic. We need to focus on getting our response right and save the finger-pointing for what comes after. This is the United States — we will get through this. And for the love of God, wash your hands.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post