SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Silly question, under what authority do these local and state "authorities" close private businesses? I get the public safety angle, but what laws allow them to mandate/enforce controls of this type short of declaring martial law?

Serious question, please don't slam me if it seems stupid to you...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Illinois pretty much just shut it all down...

Pritzker closes bars, restaurants across Illinois

Pritzker seems more interested in politicizing this and taking shots at Trump than anything else.

Do we have any medical professionals on the board who can explain why these drastic measures weren't necessary during the Swine Flu pandemic which infected 60 million and killed 12,000 in the US?

The easy answer is to ascribe the difference in response to politics, but it's starting to get so crazy that even I can't believe they would go this far for political purposes. Is there a real answer for why they are treating these two outbreaks so differently?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Ohio governor orders all bars and restaurants to close, with take away still permitted.

It was in a video on Fox. I'm looking for a written source to cite.

Columbus Dispatch: https://www.dispatch.com/news/...aurants-to-shut-down

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Ohio governor orders all restrurants to close, with take away still permitted.

It was in a video on Fox. I'm looking for a written source to cite.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Silly question, under what authority do these local and state "authorities" close private businesses? I get the public safety angle, but what laws allow them to mandate/enforce controls of this type short of declaring martial law?

They all have state and or city health certificates that are required to operate. So the authority to shut everything down would stem from the same health laws used to regulate, no?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Labor and delivery units are going to be a madhouse in 9 months.

Well, my wife’s now newly pregnant again. Here’s to the Corona Babies.

Congrats!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

They all have state and or city health certificates that are required to operate. So the authority to shut everything down would stem from the same health laws used to regulate, no?
I suppose they do, but is that the actual mechanism they're using? That's why I'm asking, what if someone says no?

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Predictions on economic impact?

I'm guessing domestically we are looking at a losß of 20% of GDP.

Under- and unemployment will go up dramatically, to 12-15% in the short-term.

Our economy is going to get hurt, but not as bad as Italy will be.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's going to have a big impact.
My wife and I are going to close our business for at least 3 weeks, not our choice.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Labor and delivery units are going to be a madhouse in 9 months.

Well, my wife’s now newly pregnant again. Here’s to the Corona Babies.

Congrats!

Thanks Balze!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
This bullshit will have a bigger impact than 9/11. Some airlines have basically been telling their employees it will be somewhere between the effect after 9/11 and the Great Recession. People’s wallets have been forced shut outside of necessities.

I hope I’m dead wrong.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Some localities require all business to have a license. The locality can just rescind them. Specifically talking about restaurants and bars, they all have various health department and alcoholic beverage licensing that can suspended, revoked.

Or the executive can all in the legislature, and propose and pass specific emergency laws giving them the power to shut down whatever they feel necessary.

Now in any specific jurisdiction, how this would work is completely up to they laws in place, or quickly passed. Some executives (mayors, governors, etc.) may be overstepping their legal authority.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You're exactly right.

quote:
This bullshit will have a bigger impact than 9/11. Some airlines have basically been telling their employees it will be somewhere between the effect after 9/11 and the Great Recession. People’s wallets have been forced shut outside of necessities.

I hope I’m dead wrong.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
...Some executives (mayors, governors, etc.) may be overstepping their legal authority.

quote:

That's kinda where I'm going with this. Confused

NRA Benefactor

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:

Pritzker seems more interested in politicizing this and taking shots at Trump than anything else.

Do we have any medical professionals on the board who can explain why these drastic measures weren't necessary during the Swine Flu pandemic which infected 60 million and killed 12,000 in the US?

The easy answer is to ascribe the difference in response to politics, but it's starting to get so crazy that even I can't believe they would go this far for political purposes. Is there a real answer for why they are treating these two outbreaks so differently?

Because humans learn from experience, it is probably the most valuable evolutionary adaptation we possess. Just Google "what did we learn from swine flu". You will find pages of returns covering every angle from political, academic and medical perspectives. There are millions of written words in the press and in medical journals covering the subject. The same will happen when this current pandemic has passed and the response to the next one will be different still. It's just human nature....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dr Anthony Fauci is calling for tighter constraints on crowd gatherings!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
So concerning central Europe, we drove out of Poland today and they were locking down the highways going into Poland. Line was around a km long and growing.

The Czech lockdown starts tomorrow so they had a couple cars and a van but were not stopping anyone.

In Prague all restaurants, pubs, museums etc are closed but the shops are open.

May stop at the embassy tomorrow to clarify our traveling plans through the UK but otherwise we are planning on catching the sights we missed 2 weeks ago.

We have HS, masks goggles and gloves but at this point will probably only use them in the airports/planes.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am not a medical professional, however...

In the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic, something like twice as many Americans were infected as with a typical seasonal flu, but the number of people that died was something like one third a typical flu season, and the number of hospitalizations was approximately one half a typical flu season.

Put simply, the Swine Flu was more infectious than a normal seasonal flu, but also less severe.

So far, worldwide, there are a tiny, tiny fraction as many confirmed cases of COVID-19 as there were cases of Swine Flu in the US, but about half as many deaths.

We know there are a lot of cases of COVID-19 that haven't been detected yet. The two big questions (which we can't be sure of the answers to yet) are, how many cases are we missing (how much less severe is COVID-19 than the statistics make it appear), and how infectious is COVID-19 really?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
...Some executives (mayors, governors, etc.) may be overstepping their legal authority.

quote:

That's kinda where I'm going with this. Confused

I'd guess it depends on what power is granted the state government when a State of Emergency is declared.

They better fully understand the financial impact of what the are doing. There are a lot of people in thus country that live pay check to pay check and if you cut that off they are in trouble. That will have a ripple effect. Paying bartenders and servers their hourly wage won't help as most of their money is from tips.

I know people in this industry and they are hurting already due the down turn in business.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anecdote from Orlando. I have two friends, married to each other, each works for a large hotel in the area. One works for a 800 room Marriott property. The other works for a 1,000 room Hilton property. I saw them both today and asked what was happening. Both said occupancy over the last week has averaged between 5-10%. They said at this time of year they should be at 99%. They said nearly all services at the hotel have been shuttered; no room service, restaurants closed, what is open has limited hours, etc. And they are going to have discussions over the next couple of days about shutting the hotels completely. The hotels will be losing less money to shut down completely vs. operating at single digit occupancy.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post