SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
The panic is very real, already.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Flame suit on. For you just the flu, no big deal, we are over reacting guys.

So I've been watching this guy's videos for a while, I'd suggest you you watch a couple.

Ready for y'alls chicken little comments. I'm prepared, I'm staying out of public minus work, and not eating anything I didn't prepare. You take caution however you want, or ignore the situation if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisMartensondotcom

These are his last two.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/JWEakkc_xxs

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ogf6Hru2trE

That guy is a dolt. And I’m being kind. Panic, panic, panic.

Let your emotions rule your decisions instead of logic is all I hear from that guy.

You really should stop watching that garbage, skins.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

As far as the coronavirus not being a big deal, take a look at this article that I posted a few pages ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...deaths-estimate.html

Before serious containment/mitigation efforts began, the CDC built 4 models of how coronavirus could affect the US, from optimistic to pessimistic.

They came up with a range of 2.4 million to 21 million people needing hospitalization. Anywhere near the upper end of that range would cause our healthcare system to collapse and prevent almost everyone from getting adequate medical care for almost anything serious.

They projected from 200,000 to 1.7 million deaths. That's direct deaths from coronavirus - it doesn't include things like a person having a heart attack and dying because they can't get adequate medical care.

Because of the measures now being taken, the assumptions used in those projections no longer hold, and the ranges should be shifted towards smaller numbers, but this is a serious threat.

Where do these numbers come from? What study possibly led to these results?

I just don't buy any of these catastrophic predictions. Not at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Right there with you man, people are profiting from the hype and some just love to lather themselves up in the drama.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Democrats Want To Reverse Trump's Travel Bans Despite Coronavirus Spread

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...e-coronavirus-spread

House Democrats have introduced legislation that would undo President Trump’s travel bans from coronavirus stricken areas, despite the fact that the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has said that the impact of the crisis would be much worse had the travel bans on China and Iran not been in place.

Democrats want to strip the President of the authority to implement the bans, introducing a bill titled the “No Ban Act,” which would allow travellers from Wuhan and other infected areas to keep arriving in the US unimpeded.

“This bill imposes limitations on the President’s authority to suspend or restrict aliens from entering the United States and terminates certain presidential actions implementing such restrictions,” the bill summary reads.

The legislation vaguely says that Trump should only be able to “issue a restriction when required to address a compelling government interest.”

The bill further declares that before any travel ban is imposed, the President would be mandated to “consult with Congress.”

Democratic Presidential contender Bernie Sanders also said this week that he would not impose any travel bans during the coronavirus crisis.

The action flies in the face of advice from Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the NIAID, who told lawmakers during a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing Wednesday that “I believe we would be in a worse position,” had such travel bans not been imposed by Trump.

Posts: 12648 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^. The only purpose of a move like that would be to blame the President for the economic fallout. They know it won’t pass but they’ll be able to attempt to place blame.

Pure politics as usual in DC.

———————————————

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democratic Presidential contender Bernie Sanders also said this week that he would not impose any travel bans during the coronavirus crisis.

^^^^^^
Pure politics. I guess he is listening to Jesse Jackson his latest advisor.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

So I've been watching this guy's videos for a while, I'd suggest you you watch a couple.

Ready for y'alls chicken little comments. I'm prepared, I'm staying out of public minus work, and not eating anything I didn't prepare. You take caution however you want, or ignore the situation if you want.

These are his last two.

Let your emotions rule your decisions instead of logic is all I hear from that guy.

I'll keep watching, you don't have to if you don't want. He's a little over the top, I get that. I like the numbers/updates. I knew this is the reaction I'd get. APeople can think it's just like the flu if they want.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^
Pure politics. I guess he is listening to Jesse Jackson his latest advisor.

...but Trump is the one who can easily turn this stupid agneda into a negative for the DEMs.

It is so STUPID, that fallout later down the road is inevitable.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16660 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

These are his last two.

I'll keep watching, you don't have to if you don't want. He's a little over the top, I get that. I like the numbers/updates. I knew this is the reaction I'd get. APeople can think it's just like the flu if they want.

I doubt many people here want to see bullshit like that guy spews out. If you knew that was the reaction, why post it?

People like him want views and comments on YouTube so they can get paid. Keep that in mind. But hey, if you want to stay on the road to crazy land, be my guest.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
I was in the Dept of Motor Vehicles this hanging out with a mass of humanity that numbered in the hundreds. I am waiting for California Gov. Nusiance to wave his magic wand and shut it down. An edict from the governor, don't worry about DMV fees, current tags on your car, smog test, eye tests, proof of insurance, a current drivers lic, points on your lic., commercial lic endorsements, overload permits, ect. Utopia found. A libertarian paradise.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As far as the coronavirus not being a big deal, take a look at this article that I posted a few pages ago.

Before serious containment/mitigation efforts began, the CDC built 4 models of how coronavirus could affect the US, from optimistic to pessimistic.

They came up with a range of 2.4 million to 21 million people needing hospitalization. Anywhere near the upper end of that range would cause our healthcare system to collapse and prevent almost everyone from getting adequate medical care for almost anything serious.

They projected from 200,000 to 1.7 million deaths. That's direct deaths from coronavirus - it doesn't include things like a person having a heart attack and dying because they can't get adequate medical care.

Because of the measures now being taken, the assumptions used in those projections no longer hold, and the ranges should be shifted towards smaller numbers, but this is a serious threat.

They are from internal projections the CDC has not made public, but they are in line with most of what I have read from infectious disease and epidemiology experts.

It's not really about coronavirus being worse than the flu, it is that it is very transmissible and no one has ANY immunity (from vaccine or having had it before) as is the case with flu, meaning it could spread very quickly to HUGE numbers of people.

Observations in other countries with more advanced spread suggest that as many as 20% of people infected will need hospitalization, that as many as 5% of people infected will need ICU care, and that in the absence of significant containment/mitigation efforts, the number of cases increase by a factor of 10 about every 8 days. If that holds true it would mean that in 6-8 weeks there could be ~10 million active cases in the US, requiring ~2 million hospital beds (more than twice the total US hospital capacity, which is already mostly full with people with other problems) including ~500,000 ICU beds (of which there are fewer than 100,000, which are ALSO already mostly full with people with other problems).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They are from internal projections the CDC has not made public, but they are in line with most of what I have read from infectious disease and epidemiology experts.

It's not really about coronavirus being worse than the flu, it is that it is very transmissible and no one has ANY immunity (from vaccine or having had it before) as is the case with flu, meaning it could spread very quickly to HUGE numbers of people.

Ok, how is it that you have stats that the CDC has not made public?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:

Go back and look at my post again. They are in the news article I linked.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So the NYT is making numbers public that aren't public from a source they probably can't cite, except to probably say that the source is familiar with the matter. Like.... I'm familiar with that matter.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

These are his last two.

I doubt many people here want to see bullshit like that guy spews out. If you knew that was the reaction, why post it?

People like him want views and comments on YouTube so they can get paid. Keep that in mind. But hey, if you want to stay on the road to crazy land, be my guest.

I posted for anyone who does want updates and numbers. I know believing this virus is worse than the flu here and among most conservatives. I knew I'd get mostly negative reaction from most.

Let me save anyone the time replying I'm going to go crazy from watching it. Keep the reply short and I probably won't reply to anyone elses post on him. That way I can leave room for all the fifth hand stories and bitching about how the news is over blowing the situation. My advice for everyone on the news, turn it off. Not worth your time. For the videos I posted if you are in the 'flu is worse camp" don't even bother clicking on them, it will just make you angry.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
quote:

So the NYT is making numbers public that aren't public from a source they probably can't cite, except to probably say that the source is familiar with the matter. Like.... I'm familiar with that matter.

And then quote a University of Nebraska Medical Center infectious disease expert whose projection (also before beginning containment/mitigation efforts, I think) was 480,000 deaths in the US, a projection he felt was conservative.

posted Hide Post
I found something to explain maldats numbers from 47 difference sources, including the 'truthful' MSM like the NY Times...

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Dr. Fauci has been repeatedly praised in this thread as being a voice of reason in the midst of the hysteria surrounding coronavirus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...onavirus/5032509002/

quote:

Fauci told a House oversight committee Wednesday that the number [of infected] could reach “many, many millions” if “we are complacent and don’t do really aggressive containment and mitigation.”

posted Hide Post

"could"

"maybe"

"possibly"