SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Refrigerator advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator advice Login/Join 
Picture of bayouman
posted
My 22 year old Kenmore refrigerator went tits up yesterday, repair guy said buy a new one. Has anybody done this lately. Any recommendations, good or bad.

Thanks

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Freezer on the top, bottom or side by side?

Posts: 11221 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I shall be watching this thread.

It seems to me that the freezer on the bottom would be the most efficient, yes?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Got this one during Black Friday sale back in 2015 for like $500 off of list ... love it!!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirl...inless-Steel/4740414

Middle drawer for produce or whatever you want it for is great.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP and PHPaul, check your email. I work for Whirlpool and and sent you something that may prove useful.

I'm partial to bottom freezers, made in Amana, IA under the Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Whirlpool and Amana names.

A few more specifics about what you want and I may be able to offer more advice. Overall, anything energy star rated will be vastly more efficient than a 22 year old model.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish Speed Queen made refrigerators!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Amana bottom freezer and love it. Mine does not have ice/water in the door, it's in the pull out drawer of the freezer (ice) which I prefer because it's easy to pull the bin out and dump into my cooler and the shoot for the ice maker doesn't take away refrigerator space. Mine's from 2002 and still going great with no issues in the 3.5 years I've been here. I think it's around 22 cubic feet. I would NEVER go back to a top freezer or side by side again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
OP and PHPaul, check your email. I work for Whirlpool and and sent you something that may prove useful.

Got it, thanks. Would you mind emailing me with a reply-to address that will reach you?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We got this one about six months ago and couldn't be happier. Large, quiet and makes a ton of ice.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-...LFXS29626S/205343326

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:

Got it, thanks. Would you mind emailing me with a reply-to address that will reach you?

Sent you a note from my personal email. Hopefully I can answer your questions and help out.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a Whirlpool Gold and love it. No problems.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I was hesitant about getting the drawer on the bottom and split doors on top, but after having it for 2 years, love it. I won't go back to a side by side. We have a Kenmore Elite and have been very happy.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bayouman:
My 22 year old Kenmore refrigerator went tits up yesterday, repair guy said buy a new one. Has anybody done this lately. Any recommendations, good or bad.

Thanks

22 years...seems like you might do that brand again? Although they don't make them like they used to Razz

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
quote:
Originally posted by bayouman:

Thanks

22 years...seems like you might do that brand again? Although they don't make them like they used to Razz

As far as I know, Kenmore never made appliances in the first place, they just stuck their name on someone else's brand. One Kenmore refrigerator could be GE,another Kenmore Whirlpool, etc.

I like the Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana family of appliances these days.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Bought a SS Samsung 29cu French door freezer on the bottom a few years ago, rust stains started appearing on the rear wall and water leaked under the draw and was freezing. The fix is looping a wire around the heater cable so it fits into the drain, second problem is the ice maker sucks,always did now it barely works.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post