SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    looking at buying a house with a foundation issue
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking at buying a house with a foundation issue Login/Join 
posted
so were looking at buy our first house from my wife's coworker. its a good deal for the amount of space but after we hired a home inspector he said the foundation needed to be looked at. so we hired a structural engineer and they came and had a look. this is were it gets interesting. he tells us the house has not moved more then an inch which is good for 40 year old house i guess, but there is a part of the foundation wall that measures 11x4 and is made of cinder block that moves with a push of your hand in the crawl space. so my wife ask how much he thinks the repair will be and he says oh about 1000.00. now his company does not do the repairs. at this point i want out of the deal. my wife on the other hand thinks it will be a cheap fix. she will be in for a shock tomorrow when they come to give us an estimate. the damage was cause by moisture so that will have to be addressed as well. you guys ever seen a 1000.00 quote for foundation repair? probably not.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a $1,000 quote for anything that involves the word "house", let alone "foundation" or "moisture".

You're doing the right thing - get a qualified quote and see how that plays. And share here!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12394 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Run.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would check it out. Remeber, in the re market it is location, location, location.
I would not pull the plug just yet.
I am in your wife's camp to this point.
Get it checked your

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe the engineer is right, maybe he’s not.

Maybe the estimate is right, maybe it isn’t.

Maybe the outfit giving the estimate is able to do the job properly, maybe it isn’t.

Maybe the work estimated will be a complete fix, maybe not.

Is it worth it?

It may be a great bargain. It may be the worst headache of your life.

Do you have the resources, time and money to deal with the unexpected?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've never seen a $1,000 quote for anything that involves the word "house", let alone "foundation" or "moisture".

You're doing the right thing - get a qualified quote and see how that plays. And share here!

yeah me either. she is living in a fantasy world. she is going to be crushed and i hate that. she really loves the house. the sellers have no interest in paying for the repair so this is on us. i will let you know how it goes tomorrow

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
part of the foundation wall that measures 11x4 and is made of cinder block that moves with a push of your hand

I don't know a lot about houses But those 2 phrases are in conflict.

This is business- Get a second opinion. Personally the $1000 is to find out your screwed.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
part of the foundation wall that measures 11x4 and is made of cinder block that moves with a push of your hand

I don't know a lot about houses But those 2 phrases are in conflict.

This is business- Get a second opinion. Personally the $1000 is to find out your screwed.

i will just wait and see what they say. we have a few different companies coming to give quotes. but the seller is pretty dumb. he said i could sell it for more even with the issues. yeah i want to see that.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If that is the only thing that is holding you back from buying the house get a second opinion on that wall area and get an actual estimate for the repair. As far as moisture it could be as simple as getting extension for a downspout.

Good luck!

Posts: 9736 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here is part of the wall in question. its a bad photo but its the best i have for now.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
the sellers have no interest in paying for the repair so this is on us.

So I would assume the asking price has been adjusted accordingly?? If not, pull the cord and watch the canopy... Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
If that is the only thing that is holding you back from buying the house get a second opinion on that wall area and get an actual estimate for the repair. As far as moisture it could be as simple as getting extension for a downspout.

Good luck!

there is a big valley on the other side of the house were water comes in. the engineer said we probably need a sump pump and a french drain installed which adds a lot more to the wall fix as well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
the sellers have no interest in paying for the repair so this is on us.

So I would assume the asking price has been adjusted accordingly?? If not, pull the cord and watch the canopy... Eek

they would come off about 5,000.00

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Run.

Yup!

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If you buy this house, this could become your headache when you sell it years down the road.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i will update you fellows tomorrow. i have the best rated companies in my state coming to look to give a quote.

The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I would be cautious about buying this house. Especially if you intend to sell it in the near future. Because you will have to disclose things like foundation repairs, water intrusion, etc. Lots of times those words will scare away buyers. We just sold a house which had some water intrusion issues. We fixed the problem, but we still had to disclose the problem. I wonder how many people saw that and said "No way." I'll never buy another house with a major known issue like that unless I intend to live in it forever.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
here is part of the wall in question. its a bad photo but its the best i have for now.

Yikes!

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in such things. Simply have an engineer's mindset and did a lot of studying when I was in home buying mode 27 years ago.

It is my understanding that horizontal and diagonal cracks in basement walls are very bad news.

You want to get at least three estimates from experienced, local contractors that specialize in this kind of thing and get good reviews or come recommended from known, trustworthy sources.

If this was put in without a drain tile system on the perimeter of the foundation, that's probably why it's failing. (Hydrostatic pressure.) Which means it'll fail further/again--no matter what you do.

I believe the correct remediation for this kind of failure involves excavation around the outside of the wall and tie-backs into the surrounding soil, to pull the wall back into place and secure it. I highly doubt that'd be a $1,000 correction. (See my comment to zipriderperson, below.)

Then there's the installation of drain tiles around the foundation, which is a good number of feet below that failure, along with a place for the water to go.

I wouldn't buy that place on a bet, the way it is.

quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
If you buy this house, this could become your headache when you sell it years down the road.

Depends.

We have (had?) a couple vertical cracks in our (poured concrete) basement walls we recently had remediated. The repairs have a transferable, unconditional lifetime warranty by a company that's been in the business for a couple decades or more. Cost $1500, but it was well worth it. (Required no excavation, tie-backs, etc. Was all done from the inside.)

If this is remediated correctly, it shouldn't be a problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d say you’re looking at closer to $10k if not more. Foundation work is far from cheap, throw in sump pumps, French drains, liners and on and on. Things add up real fast under a house.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
I’d say you’re looking at closer to $10k if not more. Foundation work is far from cheap, throw in sump pumps, French drains, liners and on and on. Things add up real fast under a house.

this is what i am thinking, and the thing that really pisses me off is that we passed on a house that was great with no issues like this that was 40,000 cheaper.