SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surveillance videos shows moments before Metra crash that left 4 injured
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surveillance videos shows moments before Metra crash that left 4 injured Login/Join 
posted
Interesting, but tragic story. Seems that this intersection needs to be reworked. The video clearly shows the error this driver made.

CHICAGO — Surveillance video shows the moments before four people were critically injured after a Metra train plowed into a vehicle in Chicago's Scottsdale neighborhood on the Southwest Side.

The incident happened around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, when southbound Train No. 833 struck a vehicle that went around the gate at 87th Street and Pulaski Avenue.

According to Metra, the lights were flashing, the gates were down and other vehicles had stopped, but the female driver sped around the gates.

However attorney Ben Crane said the video from a nearby security camera is at odds with what was said about the incident at first. Video shows the Hyundai Elantra stopped on 87th Street and Pulaski Avenue. The crossing gate are seen coming down and landing on top of the back of the car — the 26-year-old driver positioned too far into the intersection. She quickly tries to back up, but realizing she can't go anywhere, she drives forward and is hit by the southbound Metra train.

The impact critically injured three women, in their 20s, who were in the vehicle — two of them said to be in grave condition. A 19-year-old pedestrian, who was standing at a nearby bus stop, was also hospitalized.

The car was so badly damaged it took some time for emergency crews to extricate the victims.

There have been other significant incidents at this crossing in recent years. In December 2015, two people were killed and several injured in another collision between a vehicle and a train. And four years ago, a woman suffered minor injuries when a train hit her SUV at the same crossing.

Crane is suing Metra on behalf of the two young women who died in 2015.

Crews were on hand Thursday because the latest incident also caused some exterior damage to a signal station. The system remains on line and working properly.

The incident is under investigation.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2020/02/13/p...tra-crash-injured-4/

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on that scene, not good.

I still don't know how that 19yo is still alive. He's in bad shape...

Long story short- the train hit the car, the car (Toyota) went flying and hit the 19yo who was just standing there minding his own business. The 19yo went airborne about 30 yards before hitting the ground.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wow - Car v Train never works out well for the car.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
trying to figure out why the hell the driver just did not stay where they were instead of going forward. Also love the WGN narrative of "train barreling into car"

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
From the video, looks like they would've been fine had they not moved.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
From the video, looks like they would've been fine had they not moved.

This. In her panic of getting stuck on the wrong side of the gate she drove right into the path of the train. The end of the video shows another car stuck in the same spot and she just stayed there and the train passed no problem.

Sad for sure but unfortunately there are lots of bad drivers out there making bad choices.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Well that's terrible.

Here is an overview of the intersection. Note the big gap between the rail line and the stop line for the light. People creep up - beyond the gates - probably due to the big huge gap that is present.

They are ignoring - or not seeing - the "Stop Here On Red" signage.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Very poor design decisions made there. Mixing rail and 4-way intersection is stupid design

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That white line on the ground was not a “suggestion “ as many people think...much like the speed limits....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, stupid people not obeying traffic laws or having the judgement to not put their cars on the tracks.

I spent summers with my grandparents west of Chi-town and would go downtown (by myself) which included crossing a large set of train tracks (3-4 main lines and about 4 side lines).

I enjoyed watching them but learned a lot of respect for trains and not to screw with trying to race across the tracks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Steve 495's picture is correct, the arrow isn't.

On the top picture, it's where the red semi is, bottom picture, it's the turning lane from 87th Street on to Pulaski.

Hamden106-
It's more of a 6 way intersection. Columbus Ave / Southwest Hghy cuts thru there too.

One of the worst (and longest) intersections in the area.

The "surveillance video" was captured by a camera that the law firm installed specifically to catch another accident like this.

Moral of the story- Like my Dad drilled into my head years ago:
"Trains always, always, always win."

Having been involved with more than my fair share of (literal) train wrecks, he was right!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My dad lost some friends in high school to a train v car incident in central WV where he was from....in that inciden, his friends were stopped at crossing with two lines...they waited for train on track 1 to pass and pulled forward and never saw the train on track two

I can still hear “two tracks, two trains!” In my dad’s voice even though he’s been gone nearly 26 years

My neighborhood is bordered by one of the oldest train lines in Virginia. My kids also know the two tracks two trains mantra.

I hope all parties recover. Train accidents scare the shit out of me

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Pardon me for the off topic rant, but the video reminded me how much I hate the news media. What's the purpose of having the reporter standing out front of the hospital? Fucking vultures.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Metra, the lights were flashing, the gates were down and other vehicles had stopped, but the female driver sped around the gates.

Officials lying in Chicago? Hard to believe!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
That white line on the ground was not a “suggestion “ as many people think...much like the speed limits....

What????? The left lane is NOT my private race track???!
Surely you jest!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
So many poor decisions all the way around. Trains and vehicles are like vehicles and bicycles etc. Driving does involve judgement, unfortunately the innocent do get tangled up in someone else's lack of judgement.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post