SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The first "celebrity" you met in person...
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The first "celebrity" you met in person... Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I met Mitt Romney at the local republican office when I was volunteering there back in college. Also met Roger Cook from This Old House.

And while not meeting in person, I did have a nice conversation with Mike Rowe on the phone.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Doug Bradley aka Pinhead
http://cenobite.wikia.com/wiki/Pinhead

20 years ago I worked as a hotel bartender and recognized him. He gave me his autograph. Really nice man.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Air Vice Marshal James Edgar 'Johnnie' Johnson, CB, CBE, DSO & Two Bars, DFC & Bar.

We sat together at an air display at IWM Duxford back in the late '90's. He had a very lovely 50-something lady in tow who was not his wife.

You can read about him here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...on_%28RAF_officer%29

The guy sitting on his other side was some German geezer called Galland, or something like it.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Hal Smith aka "Otis Campbell" from the Andy Griffith show. We were at a car show in Charlotte, NC in the 70's, "Otis" was there, walking around joking with everyone. He would go into full character, making everyone laugh. He took the time for every picture and autograph request.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Michael Landon
About 1960 or 61, I was 5 or 6. After standing in line to throw some change in a collection pot at the MDA Telethon in Nashville for what seemed like hours, I got to shake his hand.

I met Dawn Wells, the first celebrity I met, at the MDA telethon in the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville in the '70s.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Mahre / Steve Mahre / Cindy Nelson - all on the 1980 USA Olympic Alpine Ski Team.

I was on a family ski trip at Killington, VT (during the '80 Olympics over at Whiteface, NY) skiing the infamous "Outer Limits" trail over at Bear Mountain. All of sudden the USA Ski Team appears, sets up gates and starts training on Outer Limits! They were all friendly enough in lift-line and at the top of the course, but nobody was allowed to rides the chair with them (no autographs either). Damn, and I thought I was a decent mogul skier!

In 2010 while hanging out having a few beers out on the porch of the Sellersville Hotel (PA - it's right next to the Sellersville Theater) waiting for the Hot Tuna concert to start, walking out of the restaurant and right onto the porch was -

Jorma Kaukonen (and his wife), Jack Casady, Barry Mitterhoff (madolin) and Skoota Warner (drums)!

Holy Shit! Being a long-time and enthusiastic fan of HT, I probably (and unknowingly) batted my eyelashes, Beatle screamed and briefly fainted.

I said hello to Jorma and he shook my hand. We actually chatted for few minutes which I thought was very nice.

HFT!!

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are all of these "met" as in formally introduced?
or
did you just see them and say Hi ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Johnny Bench. Attended a game with a guy from his hometown. After the game we headed to the players entry and we asked a security guy to tell him we were outside. He came out and visited with us for about 10 minutes. Still have the signed cap.
About four years later, he was the keynote speaker for a chamber banquet and I got to sit by him....he didn't remember me.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
There's a picture of me with Julio Iglesias somewhere on a plane when I was like 2-3 years old. I don't remember the encounter.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, when I was eight.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31385 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
The first celebrity I remember meeting was Carlos Montoya a guitarist known for his style Flamenco music. Chris

I met him too backstage once. Someone asked him how he made his guitar sound like a snare drum, and he showed how (called the "tambor effect", which every classical guitarist knows how to do).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
In 1956 when I was in 4th grade in Mt. Kisco, NY I met Johnny Podres. He was in our neighborhood because he was dating one of our neighbors who happened to be a family friend and my occasional baby sitter in past years. I got an autograph. This is why that was a pretty big deal to a kid and Brooklyn Dodgers fan:

"Podres helped the Dodgers win World Series championships in 1955, 1959, 1963 and 1965, although he did not actually pitch in the 1965 World Series.[3][4] In the 1955 series, after the Dodgers lost the first two games to the New York Yankees, Podres pitched a complete game, seven-hit victory on his 23rd birthday in Game 3. In the climactic Game 7, Podres pitched a 2–0 shutout to bring Brooklyn its only World Series championship. Podres was given the first-ever World Series MVP Award by Sport magazine and presented with a red two-seater Corvette. Later he was honored as the Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated magazine."

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I met Ed Koch several times, once at a public appearance in my neighborhood, once a few years later on a class trip to City Hall.

Once briefly met Al Gore (in '88, before the crazy) when he gave a little speech at a place in the neighborhood I grew up in.

Met Ozzie Smith at a game. Well, technically under the stands before a game. I had food poisoning and was trying to find the aid station, and was not at my best. He was very nice anyway. And very short.

Got to talk to Niven and Pournelle at a little event/talk they did once.

Encountered the band members of Nirvana, at a tiny gig they were playing before they were big. I didn't know who they were, other than 'some obnoxious guys'. Learned later one of them insulted a friend of mine. Didn't talk to them.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
The first celeb I met was Soupy Sales. He was signing autographs in Sam Goody music store.
I ate lunch everyday with John Seda. He portrayed John Basilone in The Pacific.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smiley Burnette played Frog Millhouse, Gene Autrie's sidekick, in the movies. He as well as Andy Devine at different times made appearances in a city park in Lawton, OK. This was in the early to mid '50's.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I completely forgot that Hillary Rodham Clinton grew up and lived a block away from me In Park Ridge IL.
Her girl friend used to babysit for me and my Sister when I was in grade school.

If she had won the presidency I would have found a psychiatrist that could have put me under to help me "re-discover" that she had molested me as a child.
Talk about talking one for the team!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I've got two - both when I was ~5 years old.

1) RADM Richard O'Kane (MOH, Navy Cross x 3, Silver Star x 3). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O%27Kane
He was a friend of my grandparents, and rowed me around on a little lake "fishing" for blue gills.

2) Rick Barry of the then San Francisco Warriors. He lived in the same town in CA (Orinda) and manned a free throw exhibit at a local charity event. I tried the underhand free throws...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl Erskine
Mitt Romney
Gladys Knight

I used to do a lot of flight plans for pilots flying stars around, most just complained what a-holes they were.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Allen Funt of Candid Camera. His grandson an I were in the same cub scout pack. He was an extremely nice guy.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AJ Foyt, I was about 12 or so.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post