SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Salary Number or a Range (with a caveat)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Salary Number or a Range (with a caveat)? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I think providing a range is worse than a specific number, and comes across as weaker, as though you're afraid to ask for what you really want. Further, when someone gives me a range there is very little incentive to give them anything but the bottom end.

Also, losing 18 vacation days right off the bat is brutal, and if it were me they would be valued at 2-3x the amount of extra work days it's adding to your schedule. Which, to me, makes a 35% raise feel more like a mere 10%.

I'd rather they just make an offer, but if forced to pick one I'd pick a hefty but not ridiculous single number, which they're free to counter...

I totally agree especially the vacation days. Not only will you be losing extra time off, you have to bet you're going to be working your ass off and putting in the hours; it's not like they opened the spot because they have extra pina colada to pass around while they're lounging on the beach.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

The OP isn’t clear, but I’m 95% sure he’s saying the new employers plan has a Highly Compensated Employee trigger/threshold of $120K in their plan design. It’s complicated, but in order to pass nondiscrimnation testing folks over that are limited, regardless of your cited general guidelines.

The more traditional route is to test each year and “refund” in the form of a distribution any excess. The OP plans approach is simpler and cheaper, but wouldn’t likely maximize contributions for the threshold HCE employees.

He will have zero control over that.

Regardless, I’d max the Comp.

Yeah, thanks for that. Googled the HCE bit. It looks like it's dependent on the company and how much other people are putting into their 401k.

On the other hand, being that it's a public company, which means it's big enough, I really doubt everybody else is slacking so much that it would trigger this limitation. He's in CA, $120,000 is just enough to barely get by.

Rey, et al, thanks for pointing something out. I missed the "and" part after the $120K amount:

quote:
For the preceding year, received compensation from the business of more than $115,000 (if the preceding year is 2014; $120,000 if the preceding year is 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018), and, if the employer so chooses, was in the top 20% of employees when ranked by compensation.

(I WILL NOT be in the top 20% of compensated employees)

As mentioned, and something my wife and I need to discuss, is the vacation time. (Personally, I'd rather take $2,500 less and receive an extra week vacation per year)

And for those you not in the know, $120K in San Diego is like $80K in Oklahoma. A 1,600 sqft home here (on 1/3 acre) costs in the low $600K range (currently).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Surprised it's that cheap, is $600k move in ready or fixer up?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I used salary.com to get a feel for the salary range for my particular field and location. I recommend you do this.

I still resist coming up with a number. I would say anything like, "I'm sure you're going to offer me a fair price. You know your internal target and the job market, so I would like to hear what you're thinking. I have a general idea of my worth but I don't want to disadvantage myself with my limited knowledge. I'm good at what I do and what you want to hire me for but I don't do HR compensation to a great degree."

That's not being coy but being transparent.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
list the top 4 things you love about your current job / list the top 4 things you hate -- then multiply each by an 'intensity' factor 1-10

compare that to the prospective new job as best you can

then factor in the 'cost' to switch - there is always a cost in the unknown

that will help you find an answer

compensation is ALWAYS tough to compare because it is multi-factorial : pay / bonus / 401k + matching and vesting / pension / affordability of medical and dental plan / vacation / etc

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should make THEM an offer. They came to you, you tell them what you want to make a move. My current employer reached out to me, and I certainly was not coy, but it was the first day I was with a new company, that also poached me.

The moral of the story is that I went from being underpaid, to being very well compensated for what I bring to the table. I went from 12 days vacation and 10 sick days with a mediocre pension, to 20 vacation days, improved medical, dental, & vision, and an Acura (in pay), but without a pension.

On my first day of that job, my current boss asked me to leave, and I told him I just started a new job (texted him a picture of my box of shit) at my new desk. He followed up, asked if I would be open, and they made the first move and flew me to division headquarters in New York City, then to the company headquarters. I told him what I wanted, and sit back and waited. It took him 2 months, but when you called, I told him I was expecting his call, and he said that I won the game of chicken. They met all of my demands.

Employees are in the driver seat right now. The most skilled, and highest qualified are difficult to get. IT takes more than money, stock options, and corporate bullshit. Employment in your first 10 years, and after you have experience and are known is a whole different animal. I'm not saying I am the top 15% in my field (which is already small), but I asked for a 30% increase, a 24 month contract, 6 weeks of vacation, and options and it was met without batting an eye.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post