SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do we get rid of a 23' cabin cruiser that is in disrepair?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do we get rid of a 23' cabin cruiser that is in disrepair? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
If the trailer is still serviceable someone will want it.

I'd list it as
"Free Boat Trailer"
"Boat as parts, must take both."

Have you called a local marina?
Asked them for their opinion?
They'd have better knowledge & contacts.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I agree, the trailer alone is probably worth $500+

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll pass the suggestions on to my brother and sister who are the ones stuck at home with the mess. It's been an albatross for many years now.

The suggestions have been quite entertaining. Smile

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That trailer, assuming it's toad worthy, is just a few 2x6s away from not-a-boat-trailer.

I've bought, used, rebuilt, and helped friends repurpose a few over the years, as cheap motorcycle trailers, firewood haulers, and the rest. Most any roadworthy trailer is worth a few to several hundred bucks depending upon the size and capacity.

posted Hide Post
How to make it disappear or properly dispose of it ? Seems to be different questions...

I’d love to get a utility trailer. Maybe I’ll start looking around for a used boat trailer cheap

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Everybody on bbc says the same. Push it off the trailer at the dump & repurpose the trailer.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My buddy was in the same situation about 20 yrs ago. Father passed and he was left with a house to sell and a boat that was in storage. We dragged the boat to the quarter car wash to clean it up and after about 3 hrs. it looked OK. Parked it in the driveway of his dads house with a for sale sign. Was able to sell it for about 500 dollars but if not it was thrown in with the house sale.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
THEN!

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm going through this myself. Can't sell it, can't give it away, can't donate it. No trailer. 1973 24' Sea Ray. They knew how to build them back then, good lord.

People in the business want a flat fee (not a small one) plus an additional charge from the dump by weight.

So what I've been doing is cutting into pieces and putting it in the trash. (See "knew how to build em" above, yikes) Eventually I will have to pay someone something for it to go, but I hope it will be as little as possible.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45_Auto:
quote:
Originally posted by ukhayes:
Deep water...3 inch hole saw.

This, about 6 miles off the coast, let the sucker become a fish house Big Grin

Aren't there government agencies and sports divers that sink boats and use then for diving and Marine growth?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by 45_Auto:
quote:
Originally posted by ukhayes:
Deep water...3 inch hole saw.

This, about 6 miles off the coast, let the sucker become a fish house Big Grin

Aren't there government agencies and sports divers that sink boats and use then for diving and Marine growth?

Being semi-familiar with this, BE CAREFUL! Like REAL CAREFUL!!!
If there's gas - now varnish in the lines, rubber, hydraulic fluid, oil... and you get caught.

No - Es - Bueno

If the hull developed a crack, and starts taking on water, well... you pretty much gotta drill a few "water-letter-outta" holes to get the water out. Wink

Craigslist! You'd be surprised! Someone by you has a boat that's almost the same, and needs parts...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If you come through my neck of the woods, just park that sucker up on the corner of Shelby and Lamar, and it'll be gone the next day-just on principle.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Where I lived in Maine you'd just park it at the end of the driveway with a sign that said "FREE". Go see a movie. When you came back it would be gone.

Oh you might see it in someone's side yard in a few months, with perhaps an addition being added for the rest of the family, but it wouldn't be yours anymore.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd take it if I was nearby (I'll not be anywhere near it anytime soon).

Someone else will. Ask a few to several hundred bucks, then make them a "deal", etc.

"Free" scares off too many. Sell that thing as a fixer upper. Smile

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
Maybe a lien, gas o lien

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'd take it if I was nearby (I'll not be anywhere near it anytime soon).

Someone else will. Ask a few to several hundred bucks, then make them a "deal", etc.

"Free" scares off too many. Sell that thing as a fixer upper. Smile

Yup, park it on the curb with a $200/obo sign on it, give it some perceived value & it will be stolen or you'll make $100 on it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just take it for a 3 hour tour.....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
If you come through my neck of the woods, just park that sucker up on the corner of Shelby and Lamar, and it'll be gone the next day-just on principle.

Having spent way too much time in that exact area I can say slabsides is spot on. Heck, might be gone by the time you unhitch the thing. But only because they've carjacked your whole rig.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If I could get my boat six miles off shore I wouldn't be getting rid of it. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine had a big fiberglass boat that was ragged out . Dragged it out in a pasture and burned it .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post