SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do we get rid of a 23' cabin cruiser that is in disrepair?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do we get rid of a 23' cabin cruiser that is in disrepair? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So my dad died last year and we're selling the second house. We've got one problem; he had an old 1980's 23' Sun Runner 230SB that has been sitting and rotting for decades in the Fresno heat. We can't even give it away. We tried junk recyclers and nobody wants it. The engine might be okay but the oil pan is rusted and it would take a ceiling crane to lift it out of the hull.

If I remember correctly, it had a 305 V-8 and a Volvo penta outdrive. The upholstery is all dry-rotted and shot. God only knows what it looks like inside now.

My brother had it stored at someone's barn for a couple of years but he wanted it out (understandably).

Anyone know how to get rid of old boats like this?

It looks exactly like this boat.

Thanks,
Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you tried a craigslist curb alert?

other than that i guess it would be sledge hammers and sawzall. lol. or take it out on the water. Smile

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
did you try to donate to the kidney foundation or similar?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In fact it would be incredibly reckless to have any potential source of ignition around the boat when you are using something like gasoline to clean it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I bet if you put that on Craigslist for $200 you'll have someone show up in under a day and try to negotiate you down to $100.

Don't list for zero..... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
In fact it would be incredibly reckless to have any potential source of ignition around the boat when you are using something like gasoline to clean it.

I see what you did there.... Cool

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tannerite?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Park it near a busy street and put a for sale sign on it and see if someone is willing to "steal" it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Perhaps there's a charity in the area that would be willing to accept it as a donation?

Or maybe a tech school that needs a project for its students?

You won't get any cash for it, but it could be used as a tax write-off for whoever inherited it.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
im guessing the trailer is included?

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Maybe that Lethal Weapon TV show will buy it in order to have something to blow up?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Free.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We need pictures and it could be a long drive from VA and be disappointed. Wink

With the price of new boats, there are usually someone looking for a good hull to work on.

Is the trailer in good shape or does it need tires?

I would put it on Craigslist with lots of pictures after you have cleaned it up enough so the person can see what needs to be fixed. I assume since it was inside that there is no water damage to the hull.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
Contact whatever waste management/trash guys/landfill your county has and ask them. I'm sure there would be a good option they can do or know of.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Deep water...3 inch hole saw.

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a seafood restaurant would use it for a decoration.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
You might look up local sailing/Yacht clubs. They use power boats for Race Committee boats and for safety boats out on the race course. Obviously they would want to inspect it before accepting it. Some clubs have a 501(c)(3) charitable arm that you can donate the equipment to and subject to the IRS guidelines on boat donations you could take a tax deduction.

There is also an organization called Warrior Sailing that gets vets out sailing. They are an arm of the US Merchant Marine Foundation - East Coast based, I think.

www.warriorsailing.org

Don't know if they would have interest in a power boat as a support boat but you could check.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ukhayes:
Deep water...3 inch hole saw.

This, about 6 miles off the coast, let the sucker become a fish house Big Grin

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of buddies with sawzalls or chainsaws could make that fit into a curb-side dumpster or bagster in no time. Sell the engine. Buy some good beer for afterwards. Done deal. :P

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What size outdrive? I think I need a 280. ( and if it does ignite while you are cleaning it........they throw a lot of smoke).

Posts: 159 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post