SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are soundbars worth buying?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are soundbars worth buying? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The vibe I'm getting from this thread is I'm probably not going to be happy with a soundbar. While it would be an improvement, it's not going to give me what I'd expect. Maybe I'll rethink getting a stereo setup to fit the small space.

Thanks.

Just measured the room I use my Sonos system in. The room is 10 x 14.5 ... small. I also have a 55" TV. Room not crowded at at. With Sonos, your stereo system need be no bigger than a handheld device running the Sonos app.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Pics of the small 10 x 14.5 room I have the Sonos system in. I still haven't taken down and stored the 30 year old Sony receiver and Bose 301s. Sub is behind the sofa. Sonos Trueplay accounts for that nicely.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Mark if you are still interested the Samsung soundboard are on woot.com right now, and will be for the next 24 hours. 99.99.

I have 2 of the KM 37 model, one with the wireless rear speakers (buy separate, optional) and one without.

Short of buying an expensive 5.1 or 7.1 audio receiver and running wired speakers, this will be a great setup for the price.

Of course it won't compare to a high end audio setup.... no shit.

But I run the 5.1 in the upstairs and the 2.1 in the bedroom. I have the kick ass 7.1 setup in the basement.... but the 7.1 setup is over 1200 bucks....

So just depends on what you are looking for. The folks trashing soundboard aren't wrong in the fact that they don't do as well as a dedicated audio setup, but that isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Thanks for the tip, friend. I ordered one of the 2.1 KM45 versions. I'll gamble the $90 and I doubt I'll be disappointed at that price.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they're an improvement over the TV speakers but not by a whole lot.

I can't imagine being satisfied with one, myself, but tastes and needs differ for sure.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I like soundbars, especially in an area where you may not put in a full sound system (like a master bedroom) or just don't want to spend the money and time to install a surround system (couple of connections and the soundbar is done.) As stated they are much better than the TV speakers. Get a quality brand with a wireless sub-woofer - guaranteed better sound, hearing/understanding lower voices speaking and they add some thump. In our master we have an LG SK10Y (with optional rears), in our family room we have a Klipsch Icon 2.1, our living room is a full surround system, I don't expect the Klipsch to compete with the full system and it does a good job for the room - on the other hand I expected a lot out of the LG in regards to Atmos and it delivers. Use the best connection available, some of the newer bars have HDMI in. On mine the LG connects to the TV using the TV HDMI ARC, the 4K player connects to HDMI in on the soundbar and therefore any Atmos surround effects from the internet or the player will output correctly. The Klipsch we have connected using the optical port and I wanted louder not surround effects. What TV and connection do you have and what is your sound expectation - just louder or some surround effects?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Hobbs,

I have a pair of Bose 301s and a pair of 601s that still work.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Hobbs,

I have a pair of Bose 301s and a pair of 601s that still work.

NICE !!! ... was thinking of updating the 301s and my receiver, but settled on the Sonos system and couldn't be happier. I mostly stream Internet radio and watch college football. Sonos covers both those bases wirelessly, effortlessly, flawlessly and in a small space. For years I was looking for a system just like this.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just ordered up a Bose unit. I hope it works well as my TV's audio, or my hearing, just sucks.

Some programs I can hear just fine on level 10. Others I have to turn the volume up to 70-80-90 to be able to make out what they are saying as it sounds like I'm listening to it through a wall. Very muffled. It's aggravating as hell.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Happy to help. Let me know how you like it. It will be a vast improvement over the crappy on board TV speakers.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I bought a Harman Karden setup. What is really nice is it allows us the hear normal shows and movies without using the full surround (which can be too loud for an "all the time" manner of listening)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The soundbar came today. It doesn't work. Now my wife is right about not liking refurbished products.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I called Woot customer service. They are sending a replacement that will be here tomorrow. Impressive.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The soundbar came today. It doesn't work. Now my wife is right about not liking refurbished products.

Interesting... I'm glad they made it right.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Just ordered up a Bose unit. I hope it works well as my TV's audio, or my hearing, just sucks.

Some programs I can hear just fine on level 10. Others I have to turn the volume up to 70-80-90 to be able to make out what they are saying as it sounds like I'm listening to it through a wall. Very muffled. It's aggravating as hell.

Same here. I linked to a soundbar earlier in this thread that is designed to enhance the voices and not all the other background noise. Bose makes on as well but the one I linked to is not Bose. I'm not interested in a thundering sound system I just want to be able to hear all the dialogue.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I followed lastman's link, for about the same reasons he laid out. Bought a Zvox 570 soundbase from Amazon, got it and installed it yesterday. My wife's away for a couple days so I don't have the definitive word yet, but I think it improves the clarity of dialogue a lot. Probably won't suit if you're an audiophile, but it sure works for me.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I got the Samsung hooked up. I'll have a better idea of it after Jeopardy! but it is louder. The sound quality is maybe a little better than the TV speakers. I'm going to mess with the EQ.

The subwoofer isn't crazy and boomy but it does add a bit of warmth. That's good.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
yeah I"ve had a few issues with refurbs but over the years 90% no issues.

Glad woot fixed you up.

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I finally figured out that I have to have both the digital audio cable and the HDMI-ARC connected for the TV remote to work the volume of the soundbar. We can now hear whispers in movies and voices are clearer. It does add to movies because of the sub. At $90 I'm pleased.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I don't use mine at all. It's a PIA to integrate on my TV's

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're happy with it, Mark!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post