SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gov. Greg Abbott announces school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws after Santa Fe shooting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gov. Greg Abbott announces school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws after Santa Fe shooting Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Less than two weeks after 10 people were killed in a southeast Texas school shooting, Gov. Greg Abbott laid out a 40-page, 40-strategy plan for preventing future school shootings, and left the door open to calling lawmakers back to Austin to pass some of those priorities.

"If there is consensus on some laws that could be passed, I am open to calling [a special session]," Abbott said.

A special session would be a dramatic move during an election year in which he, all top state officials and a majority of lawmakers are seeking new terms. It’s even more rare given how emotionally charged — and politically divisive — issues of school safety and gun control are.

Some lawmakers have demanded that Abbott, who has the sole authority to call and set agendas for special sessions, take such action. Most Texans responding to a poll taken before the Santa Fe shooting said they support stricter gun control laws.

Much of the plan (read the full proposal here) Abbott laid out Wednesday would require approval from the Texas Legislature, which will not reconvene until January 2019 unless Abbott intervenes.

Abbott’s announcement, made at the Dallas school district’s headquarters Wednesday, came one day after Santa Fe students returned to class for the first time following the deadly shootings. Thirteen people were also injured in the attack.

At the heart of the governor’s proposal is an expansion of the existing School Marshal Program, one of two existing systems for arming school personnel. More than 170 school districts of the 1,000-plus in Texas already have some type of system for arming educators and other staff. Santa Fe ISD, in fact, had already approved the plan, but had not yet implemented it.

Abbott said he would not propose requiring schools to join that program, but that the state should pay for the training associated with it.

“When an active shooter situation arises, the difference between life and death can be a matter of seconds,” Abbott said. “Trained security personnel can make all the difference.”

Abbott also raised narrow, gun-related proposals, including the tightening of Texas' safe gun storage and laws.

Suspected shooter Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a 17-year-old junior at the high school, has been in custody in Galveston County since the attack at Santa Fe High School. Authorities say he used his father's guns.

Current Texas law holds parents accountable when their minor children — under the age of 17 — access their loaded weapons. Because Pagourtzis was 17, his family won’t be liable under that law, though they are being sued under other, more general liability statutes. Abbott proposed raising that age to include 17-year-olds, a measure that would bring Texas in line with dozens of other states that have stricter child-access prevention laws.

Abbott also proposed expanding a mental health screening program already operated through Texas Tech University. He said he hopes to "eventually" make that program — currently operational in 10 school districts — a statewide system, and said he recommends Texas fund it with $20 million.

The Telemedicine Wellness, Intervention, Triage, and Referral Project at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, which aims to identify junior high and high school students at risk of committing school violence and intervene before tragedy occurs, has already had 25 students removed from school, 44 placed in alternative schools and 38 sent to a hospital. Abbott had praised that program just hours after the shooting, tweeting that “we want to use it across the state.”

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
What is the enhanced reporting requirement for stolen guns supposed to do about school shootings?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything just makes sense in Texas.. unlike the knee jerks in Florida.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"do something"

OK, sure

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Never miss an opportunity to spend more of the taxpayers money...

Don't live there anymore but I'm thinking besides Austin, Dallas is the area he is weakest politically.

Special sessions used to be an exceptionally rare thing. Has that changed? Trying to figure out if he has a lot of Republicans needing political cover or not.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason Texas’ safe storage laws do not cover 17 year olds is in Texas, 17 year olds are legally “adults” for purposes of criminal liability.

The Governor’s proposal is just more of the same useless, illogical crap.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have an idea, how about a law that says if you kill someone with a gun, or other weapon, you get the death penalty as a required minimum sentence. Fast track to old sparky.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
What concerns me about "safe storage" laws, and laws that prohibit responsible teens from accessing firearms is they inhibit the ability for them to defend themselves at home should a home invasion occur. There have been a number of cases of this.

I think the govt. should keep it's nose out of it and leave it to the parents to determine whether their teen is responsible enough to be allowed access to firearms.

Cases of Teens Defending Themselves and Other Family form Home Invasions:

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post