SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bank Robber Turned Law Professor (The Rubin Report)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bank Robber Turned Law Professor (The Rubin Report) Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
An hour-long interview with a compelling story of stupidity, back luck, good luck, and redemption. What he has to say is mostly cause for sadness and hopelessness, but there are also reasons for hope. My tendency is to have an lock-em-up-and-throw-away-the-key attitude towards crime, but I think it's good to have an open mind to new information and insights on how we might be able to improve on what's clearly not working.

Youtube description:

Shon Hopwood (Georgetown law professor) joins Dave to discuss his 11 years in federal prison for robbing banks, his journey to becoming a law professor at Georgetown University, his views on mandatory minimums, the state of the drug war in America, the prison sentences for drug crimes, and more.

Interview starts at 4:28:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXc2KRfYXA

Podcast links on this page.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A guy in my first year law school class tried that ahhh, novel and imaginative career path.

The UCB downtown was robbed, and when the local TV news played the video, quite a few of us said, “Hey, I know that guy!”

We never saw him again.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post