SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CB Radio Cigarette Lighter Plug
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CB Radio Cigarette Lighter Plug Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
Back in the 1990's I used a portable CB radio to monitor log truck traffic. The antenna was attached to the outside of the vehicle with a magnet. I left it on too long and the rust under the magnet was horrible. I stopped using it, but now I would like to use it again cause I will be driving a logging road with log truck traffic in the next few weeks. The vehicle I used it before was a 1993 Toyota pickup. (Before they started calling them Tacoma’s). Current vehicle is a 2011 Tacoma and my problem is that the plug that fits into the cigarette lighter is too big. Have they changed the size of cigarette lighter holes in the last few years? Too big for the auxiliary places too.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
That's a new one on me. I've used cigarette plugs for years. I've been running one of my ham radios on one. I've never heard of a different size.

Maybe someone will come along with the answer.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
New one on me as well and we use 12 volt plugs like that for a lot of things around the farm.

Get a new plug and retrofit it and see if it works. $5-10 and 5 minutes of time. If it still doesn't work un-wire the factory receptacle, get a couple of SAE automotive connectors and wire them in. Slightly less convenient to hook and unhook but a much more secure connection.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
See if the negative contacts on your plug are still springing in to allow a tight fit. If they are rusted in place then your plug may not slide into the receptacle.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s been many years since I wired in the power for a ham radio in my car, but I clearly recall the advice at the time that using a friction fit cigarette lighter plug setup was not the best practice. The amount of current the radio draws obviously makes a difference, but I agree with the recommendation to use some other type of connectors.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
use some other type of connectors.

This. Tapping off the 12v+ lead on the back of the existing lighter socket might be easier to engineer than pulling a wire all the way to the fuse box. Of course, your frame/body is your ground.

Newer truck? Betcha you have some USB ports that may be studly enough to power the CB. If the radio can do this, it will probably have a USB cord, or an adapter that enables this. The power requirements/supply should be called out in the respective manuals.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
use some other type of connectors.

This. Tapping off the 12v+ lead on the back of the existing lighter socket might be easier to engineer than pulling a wire all the way to the fuse box. Of course, your frame/body is your ground.

Newer truck? Betcha you have some USB ports that may be studly enough to power the CB. If the radio can do this, it will probably have a USB cord, or an adapter that enables this. The power requirements/supply should be called out in the respective manuals.

USB is 5 volts not 12 and generally around half an Amp. That is not going to run a 12 volt powered radio.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post

Plug shrinkage?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just go down to Radio Shack, they have everything electronic you'd need! Big Grin

Today you go to Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cb+...f=pd_sl_8a5ta39zw4_e

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Consider something like this. Available at most Truck Stops in some variation. Very convenient for Truck Drivers. Works well as long as you don't overload the fuse. I like the digital readout of the voltage. If you don't want to take the time and trouble to wire up and connect some new power port, this may be perfect for your needs. You'll be able to power up a GPS and charge your phone too.

Here is One Version On Amazon

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
See if the negative contacts on your plug are still springing in to allow a tight fit. If they are rusted in place then your plug may not slide into the receptacle.

That was it. Spring had little to no movement and I could see some light rust. I got the spring moving and used the radio today. Probably going to have to replace the plug.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Back in the 1990's I used a portable CB radio to monitor log truck traffic. The antenna was attached to the outside of the vehicle with a magnet. I left it on too long and the rust under the magnet was horrible. I stopped using it, but now I would like to use it again cause I will be driving a logging road with log truck traffic in the next few weeks. The vehicle I used it before was a 1993 Toyota pickup. (Before they started calling them Tacoma’s). Current vehicle is a 2011 Tacoma and my problem is that the plug that fits into the cigarette lighter is too big. Have they changed the size of cigarette lighter holes in the last few years? Too big for the auxiliary places too.

Saying it's another Tacoma made me think... Do you have 2 separate plugs on the dash? My 2005 does, and one is definitely smaller than the other. So I looked in the manual and there are two separate entries. The left side is "Cigarette Lighter" and the right side is "Power outlet". I can fit a USB power adapter in the power outlet side, but not the cig lighter side.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Cigarette lighter on the left (cigarette lighter will Not come out, even if I pull so hard I feel I’m about to break something) and an auxiliary receptacle on the right which is the one I used.

---------------
Gary