SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Savannah for the weekend...suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savannah for the weekend...suggestions? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Any food/adventures we shouldn't miss? Weekend getaway with my sugar momma wife. Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a little place downtown called Sly's Sliders that is awesome. I try to go there once a month with the leadership in my company. They are pro military and have outstanding food.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
17 hundred and ninety restaurant

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It's a tourist trap, but if you want to go to Paula Deen's restaurant (The Lady and Sons), it's OK...just OK. In all honesty, I was expecting to be blown away with flavors I'd never experienced, but I'll have to say my mom cooks just as good or better. At least that was my experience...YMMV.

http://www.ladyandsons.com/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
We took a guided walking tour lead by Savannah Dan and really enjoyed it.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The Mighty 8th museum
Take a tour. It is a quick and easy way to see "everything".
Read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go.
St. Bonaventure Cemetery.

Back of a grave stone. Looks like a woman's face to me:

Downtown from the River:

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a weekday lunch. Mrs Wilkes Dining Room is really good. Not a light lunch.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go.

Definitely second this recommendation!

We took a bus tour based on the book and they went to all of the locations mentioned in the book and told some interesting stories. It was a lot of fun seeing the places in real life mentioned in the book (which is a true story of a murder that took place in Savannah).

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House on Jones Street...she has passed, but I think it's being run by her son...it's been over ten years since I dined there, but it's always been good (you have to take your dirty plates to the kitchen Big Grin)...

http://mrswilkes.com

Just walking through the parks near River Street is a treat in itself Smile

Oops...I just saw Vanwall beat me to it Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breakfast: B Matthews or J Christophers
Lunch: One Eyed Lizzie’s (River Street) or Driftaways (South side of town, close to Isle of Hope) or The Vault (mid-Town)
Dinner: Pink House ($$$$) or The Vault or Elizabeth’s ($$$$$) or The Atlantic ($$$) or Vinnies (Pizza, cash only $$). The Crab Shack or AJs (Both of them are at Tybee Island).
Check the menus at each one of the above restaurant as they all offer different specialties.
Haven’t been to Savannah Chart House in 15 years but it always provided great food, service and a relaxing atmosphere.
Happy Hunting.....
Weather this weekend should be perfect!

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We spent one day in Savannah earlier this year. We did a trolley tour that was fun and informative and then walked the shops.

Seemed quite "touristy" but again the trolley tour was good.

Wish I could be more informative but just doing it in one day was quick.

Posts: 3722 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Savannah for my nieces wedding in September. While I was there, I took my wife out to dinner on our 24th anniversary here:

http://alligatorsoul.com/

They occasionally will have exotic game. When I was there, I had the elk tenderloin Big Grin

Sort of a anniversary homecoming, since I was married in the Hunter AAF chapel.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
http://www.chart-house.com/locations/savannah/

We ate there tonight, at your recommendation. I had the prime rib, along with some seafood appetizers. It was fantastic.

My wife had read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" a while back, and we watched the movie together a couple of months ago.

Tomorrow we are going to go do some tourist stuff. I appreciate the ideas so far!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you go to Atlanta, the first question people ask you is, "What's your business?" In Macon they ask, "Where do you go to church?" In Augusta they ask your grandmother's maiden name. But in Savannah the first question people ask you is "What would you like to drink?”

― John Berendt, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post