SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Belt pouch for weapon mounted light?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belt pouch for weapon mounted light? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I feel like I've seen pouches/holsters/clips that allow you to carry a weapon mounted light off the firearm so that it can be used as a handheld light.

Anyone know who makes them? I think the one I saw was just a simple kydex sheath type affair.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You need some 1913 rail and a tek-lock.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are a few companies that offer what's basically a section of 1913 rail with a belt clip on the back.

These were mildly popular for a short period back when early weaponlights like the M3 first hit the market years ago, and light-compatible holsters weren't yet readily available. The idea was that if you had time, you would draw your gun, draw your weaponlight, attach the light to the gun, and off you go. Not usable in most dynamic scenarios, and also a recipe for possibly shooting yourself in the hand while installing/uninstalling in the midst of a stressful situation, but it's potentially better than nothing in a few limited situations, like an officer having plenty of time to prepare before going in to clear a darkened building.

But holsters have come a long way, and weaponlights aren't the best as handheld lights anyways... Instead, I'd recommend you carry a weaponlight mounted on your gun in a light-compatible holster AND a separate handheld flashlight clipped to your pocket or belt.

Use the dedicated handheld light for normal light duties, and the dedicated weaponlight for gun-related duties, rather than trying to make do with a less than ideal handheld weaponlight, trying to quickly attach it to your gun in the middle of a life-or-death situation, and then having to remove it before you can holster your gun.

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
That's what I was looking for.

I'm aware of the drawbacks, but this may be the only solution for the particular gun.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its a shame you can't find an old cell phone pouch, hip light pouch or pepper spray pouch to use.

that clippy thing looks like it would get snagged on stuff
https://www.google.com/search?...0i24k1.0.TByrVjsuRwg

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I'm aware of the drawbacks, but this may be the only solution for the particular gun.

What type of gun and light?

You should be able to get a custom kydex holster made for just about any gun/light setup, although this may require sending the gun and light off to the holster maker for use as a mold, if it's something uncommon.

Also, light-compatible holsters tend to be primarily molded around the light, with the retention being based on the light, and not as much around the gun itself. It will take some experimenting, but you may be able to find a holster made for a different gun with that specific light, in which this other gun also fits well.

For example, we have (or had) a member who carried a Gray Guns custom railed P210 with TLR-1, which is a one-off custom made handgun. He was able to find a holster for a 1911 with TLR-1 which also worked well with his gun.

And I have a certain kydex IWB holster for a P320 with TLR-1 that also fits my Glock 21 with TLR-1 near-perfectly.

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post