SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Book suggestions for 15ish year old boy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book suggestions for 15ish year old boy Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If he’s interested in WWII, there’s a ton of great books with first-hand accounts written by the guys who lived it, but there’s two paperbacks that were standouts for me that don’t seem to get mentioned a whole lot. One is written by Jack Lucas, youngest recipient of the MOH for diving on a Jap grenade on Iwo Jima and pulling a second underneath him that he hadn’t noticed previously, and he lived to write a book about it it titled “Indestructible.” The other is written by Raymond Gantter, titled “Roll Me Over” and details his tour through the ETO from just after D-Day through liberation.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hobbit is great. I’ve read it a few times and my (almost) 10 year old is 2/3 of the way through it. I recently read Ready Player One and it was good, even better than the movie. I’ve heard good things on Ender’s Game from a friend who read it. Dune?

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Sci-fi: The Stories of Ray Bradbury
Horror: Amityville Horror

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
My wife is an 8th grade English teacher, she said some common favorites by boys in that age group right now are The Maze Runner series by James Dasnher, “Stormbreaker” by Anthony Horowitz, and “Lost Hero” in the Percy Jackson series (newest book). Its really hard to say without knowing what hes into. She said boys that will typically only read what they’re interested in at that time, be it sports/scifi/survival/fantasy.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Important, inspirational, enthralling, unforgettable, and potentially life changing.

Or Seabiscuit, also by Ms. Hillenbrand.

Her research is incredible.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
If he is into hunting, Capstick’s Death in the Longgrass or Col. Patterson’s The Maneaters of Tsavo.
For humorous reading material, anything by Patrick McManus.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
... Dune ...
Every 15 year old should be digging into this one.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My son just finished this book and said it was fantastic. At almost 700 pages it should keep him occupied. Based on the reviews it is for more advanced readers and is a bit dark. My son enjoys history and really liked the look into many periods and events from the main character's perspective.

The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch, Volume One: At the Edge of Empire

https://www.amazon.com/Death-L...ch-One/dp/1481411403

A review snipped from the Amazon customer feedback:

The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch is a modernized and macabre Peter Pan adventure. When I say "modernized" I mean the distinct style Daniel Kraus employs in his narrative of a boy who could not die, and would not grow up.
Zebulon Finch is born in the late 19th century and is killed when he is 17. More than a distinct examination of the human condition from a myriad of perspectives, Zebulon also experiences the rise of America. The progression of a 17 year old boy through a life he never wanted, and would never accept as entitlement is an interesting and surprisingly emotional ride. Kraus uses historical events to line up the plot and puts Zebulon in the middle of everything.
This boy was caught up in the rise of organized crime in Chicago, the evolution of the film industry in California, civil war, great war, and prohibition, Zebulon sees it all. He struggles in this to understand the consequences of not only his own actions, but the actions of others. Emotionally, he doesn’t really grow up. He’ll always be 17, a criminal, a soldier, and an experiment.
Not knowing if or when his life will finally end, Zebulon cannot begin to grasp at the ideals of reparation, war, and sacrifice. He sees his own daughter grow old, tries to steer her from, in his mind, a morally ambiguous path. Great nations rise and fall, and all Zebulon wants is a normal life, a normal death. Instead, he is forced to watch the people he loves grow old, grow desperate, and die fighting. And regardless of injury, he continues to exist. His life meant nothing, but his death shows him everything.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if he enjoys sci-fi and finds absurdity funny.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills

Every teenage should boy should read it.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Jack London's Call of the Wild.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The wife and I used some B&N gift cards we had laying around to pick up the graphic novel version of "The Hobbit" and the Young Adult Edition of "Unbroken".

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terry Pratchett Discworld stories were entertaining.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
In addition to what's already been posted, (particularly Robert A Heinlein) the "Monster Hunter International" series and Grimnoire Series (starting with Hard Magic) by Larry Correia are very entertaing fiction series, with a lot of guns involved.

Patterson writes both mysteries and YA books, but I don't know if he's ever done a YA mystery.

Buettner's "Orphan" series is great military/coming of age Sci-fi.

Erik Larson writes history books that literally read like novels.

At his age he will get a kick out of The Lawdog Files African Adventures.

If he is a runner, "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall is an excellent book on long distance ruuning and how to minimize injuries.

Chris Kyle's "American Sniper".

"Bachelor Pad Economics" is a useful book for a young man to read before reaching college age.

"12 Rules for Life, An Antidote for Choas" by Jordan Peterson should probably be read by everyone.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nuclear--it's nice to know I'm not the only RAH fan here! I have read and re-read all the books I listed many times--my personal favorites are "The Star Beast" and "The Door Into Summer", with "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" and "Citizen of the Galaxy" coming in second.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz and Michener's Centennial. Those two will keep him occupied for quite some time, and he will enjoy them.
Miller's book looks interesting to me. A series of 2 books..., just checked the first out of the library.

Continuing with recommendations, I'd add James Clavell.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

I read it when I was about 15 and found it very interesting.

From Amazon: "More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger."

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he's looking for quick entertainment then I would suggest The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.

Serious but fast reading; The Alpha Strategy by John Pugsley. THE best book on practical economics I've ever read. I've used the principles on hobbies mostly, but I wish I had applied it better in other areas. It can be downloaded off the internet as a .pdf.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post