SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Book suggestions for 15ish year old boy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book suggestions for 15ish year old boy Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Starship Troopers

Dune

We Were Soldiers Once and Young

I'd be careful with that last one, it's dry. Informative, but dry.

Dune could be a tough read too, but at 15 that was my favorite series.

No complaints with Starship Troopers, but if you want a bug hunt without the civics lesson, grab Armor by John Steakley.

Here be some of my suggestions:

Killing Rommel, Steven Pressfield. Novel set in North Africa with the Long Range Desert Group, hunting after Rommel. It's shorter, and an easier read, but very exciting. This book introduced me to Steven Pressfield.

War of the Rats, David L. Robbins. You seen Enemy at the Gates? Here it is, as a book! Neat!

The Guns of the South, Harry Turtledove. Alternate history, where South African Nazis build a time machine and go back to the American Civil War to arm the Confederacy with Kalashnikovs. If that doesn't sound like a fun read, then there's something wrong with you.

Worldwar series, also Harry Turtledove. Alternate history (it's kind of what he's known for) where Hitler and Einstein team up to fight space lizards.

Lot of real good choices here though.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
I read them at 10 but also many times, as an adult.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Non-fiction:

“Maneaters of Kumaon” by Jim Corbett.
“Here is Your War” by Ernie Pyle.

I read both of those as a kid and enjoyed them very much.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count of Monte Cristo

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Count of Monte Cristo

I would also suggest The Three Musketeers...

Ender's Game

Clancy was a fav of mine at that age

Incarnations of Immortality, I started with Death rides a pale horse.

And I alway suggest Jonathan Seagull

Sharpes Rifles...great historical fiction

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
"having to fly to Hawaii?" poor baby!

Let's just say he's not going voluntarily.

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
As an idea, buy him a cheap Android tablet, or Amazon Fire, and load it up with books. A lot more variety is possible, and a lot less to carry.

While a great idea in most traveling situations, that's not an option.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom Clancy.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
JAWS.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If he likes tennis, Andre Agassi's autobio is fantastic.

For fiction, Divinci Code.

Also, the first Serial podcast is great. As is any of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ender's Game

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Almost any book by Robert A. Heinlein. My choices for him would be:
The Rolling Stones
Rocket Ship Galileo (was the model for movie "Destination Moon")
Farmer In the Sky
Between Planets
Time For the Stars
Red Planet
Starman Jones
The Door Into Summer
The Star Beast
Have Space Suit--Will Travel
Citizen of the Galaxy
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

Most of those have young adults as the main characters, or scientific themes. RAH was an outstanding writer, and his stories are good reading. Any of the above should hold his interest.

His books "Starship Troopers" and "The Puppet Masters" were made into movies, but the transfer to film was not particularly good (the books are much better).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Important, inspirational, enthralling, unforgettable, and potentially life changing.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a subscription to Readers Digest. Find a short stack in a used book shop. Lots of short stories of all varieties. Also jokes and an abridged longer story in every issue.

When done he can pass them along or keep stories he likes.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Fifteen? I'd start him with How to Be a Gentleman, and then go to the Ian Fleming / James Bond series.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The Man Who Never Missed by Steve Perry

Foundation Series by Asimov, but if you want to really blow his mind start with i-Robot. For those that know the Secret to Foundation, let’s keep it on the dan low.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Ender's Game

Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

When I got my nephew started on these at age 14? he read them twice by age 18. No big deal until you see the size and number of these volumes.

But for such a short call, the first book, Eye of the World would do the job for great fantasy.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I echo The Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia, and would add Jack London's Call of the Wild, plus, depending on his intellectual level, Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post