SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Book suggestions for 15ish year old boy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book suggestions for 15ish year old boy Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I know of a 15ish year old boy who's having to fly to Hawaii next week. He'll be traveling for something like 14 hours, but won't have a phone or other electronics, so the call has gone out to donate a few books to help him stay occupied.

What are some good suggestions for interesting books that this a 15 year old boy might enjoy?

(Unfortunately, there are no details available on what specific type of books he likes.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Starship Troopers

Dune

We Were Soldiers Once and Young

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Tripods" trilogy. Whoops. There are actually four books.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
The Murderbot Diaries. 4 short books out right now. Fun and not a lot of fluff. Definitely keeps the interest going.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a book, but there are usually some good articles in Playboy magazine that he may find interesting to read.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Louis Lamour western

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I wonder if he wants serious knowledge type books or more relaxing fun easy books.

I just back from Knoxville,TN and I raided McKays used book store.

I have been re-reading the old Mac Bolan/Stony Man
adventure series books that I read when I was in 6-8th grade. I bought a ton of them for .50 to 1.00.

They are action packed, easy reading and fun.

I am also a fan of the Robert Ludlum books. The Jason Bourne Series are found at about any used book stores and/or libraries. Appeals to all ages especially with the action.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good book series that is a little more for adults. My son 14 loves the whole series
Terry Mancour's spell monger series
https://www.goodreads.com/seri...5883-the-spellmonger

Craig Alsonson's Expeditionary Force series

https://www.goodreads.com/sear...on&search_type=books

David Weber's Honor Harrington series.
https://www.goodreads.com/sear...or+harrington+series

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Hunt for Red October

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
The Walking Drum Louis L'Amour

Bazil Broketail series by Christopher Rowley

Halo series

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
R. A. Salvatore Icewind Dale Trilogy to start with, although I love every book he's written...

Heinlein - Methusaleh's Children. or any book

Crichton - Timeline, or Prey, or Jurassic Park

Jack Reacher books

A. Bertran Chandler - John Grimes book series

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The Chronicles of Narnia:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
...there's seven books

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Conrad - heart of darkness
Salinger - catcher in the rye

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” (three volumes), both by J. R. R. Tolkien, are good reads for boys of any age.

The first chapter of “The Hobbit” is my favorite chapter of all fictional literature.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Lord of the Flies

A Day No Pigs Would Die

Catcher in the Rye

The Chronicles of Narnia

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
15YO? Something with lots of sex and violence would be well-appreciated! "having to fly to Hawaii?" poor baby!

If he is kind of geeky/dorky/intellectual, a Neal Stephenson might do the trick, if perhaps a little on the heavy side. I just re-read "In the beginning, there was the command line" a treatise/examination of Windows vs. macOS vs. Unix vs. BeOS from an early-2000's perspective. Very interesting, but probably only to OS geeks. "Snow Crash," "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O." or "Cryptonomicon" might be better for one's first Stephenson.

There is a reason the "action" genre sell so well in airports, they can make time and the miles fly by. The Stephen Hunter Bob Lee Swagger/Earl Swagger novels are entertaining, with a fair amount of firearms content. Other entertaining authors in this genre include, Matthew Reilly, Brad Thor, and Vince Flynn.

You can't go wrong with historical fiction, especially Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Matarin sea-going novels.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels also deserve a mention, nice tie in to recent media releases as well.

And, I cannot fail to mention "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.

As an idea, buy him a cheap Android tablet, or Amazon Fire, and load it up with books. A lot more variety is possible, and a lot less to carry.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My 14 year old son consumes books like water. I will ask him for some titles that the kids his age are into now.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found the Daniel Silva books recently, specifically Gabriel Allon's character. Spy novels, very little sex and language - mostly spy and state-sponsored murder of those really needing it.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might find a used book on eBay.
"The Way Things Work"

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Thi...rk-Now/dp/0544824385

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz and Michener's Centennial. Those two will keep him occupied for quite some time, and he will enjoy them.

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post