SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Car Clear Coat Cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Car Clear Coat Cleaning Login/Join 
posted
Standard washing is not getting it

Bug and Tar removal, what products do you guys like? That won't harm the clear coat

Thanks

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's new probably just needs a good coat of quality wax.
But, if when it is dry and you run a hand across it and it doesn't feel smooth you may need to clay bar it first. Lots of YouTube videos showing the process with pointers.
Clay barred a 2 year old car and it made a huge difference. That and a coat of Carnuba wax and the depth of the shine was impressive.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For bugs I've not found anything better than Pro-Boys Bug Squash. Does wonders removing love bugs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
For bugs I've not found anything better than Pro-Boys Bug Squash. Does wonders removing love bugs

Poorboys? Good stuff.

Bugs N All works really good too.

As mentioned above, once you get it clean, it probably needs a good coat if wax. Carnuba will give it a great shine, but there are synthetic sealants that are easier to use that last longer too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BadDogPSD,

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Poorboys? Good stuff.

hahaha. Yep, auto correct got me Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Powers77, I would recommend claying (clay bar & lubricant) after washing and before waxing. The clay bar will remove whatever is on the paint/clear coat (bugs, dirt, tar, etc.), leaving you a grit-free surface to wax. Two downsides to claying a car 1) it's extra effort and takes a while, and 2) you have to wash the car after claying to wash away the lubricant.

By claying the car, you'll get a really smooth, clean surface to wax/polish, and it removes the possibility of swirling the grit from the paint or clearcoat and scratching the car.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Wash it with a good car soap/wax (can get Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax at Walmart - I use Surf City Garage)

Dry with a good microfiber drying towel (always use good quality microfiber applicators and microfiber towels for removing)

Detail spray - Turtle Wax Ice Spray Detailer (this stuff will remove any water spots) (can get at Walmart or auto parts store)

Like Powers77 said feel your paint - to make your fingers more sensitive put your hand in a sandwich baggie and "slowly and lightly" run your fingers across the paint and you will feel the roughness (this is contaminants and overspray)

Clay bar - Do your paint and windows - per instructions detail spray clean after. (can get a Meguiars clay bar kit at Walmart or auto parts store)

A coat of Adams Brilliant Glaze (will not stain plastic trim - worth ordering)

A coat of Adams Buttery Wax (will not stain plastic trim - worth ordering)

Go the extra mile on the rest of the car

Trim - Mequiars Ultimate Black or Mothers Back To Black (Walmart)

Windows - Adams Glass Sealant kit (worth ordering)

Wheels - with the glaze and wax

Tire sidewalls - pick one for the look you like - shiny or dull/natural

Sit back and admire your hard work

Products listed can be substituted with the ones you like or what is available local, some of these (and many others) are mail order - but well worth it.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a good DA polisher and don't have the patience for a clay bar session, try a Nanoskin.
nanoskin pad

There is also a hand held strap for the pad, but I've never tried it.

I do an exterior detail of my Tundra and wife's MKC annually.

nanoskin- paint and glass
polish with Chemical Guys 36/38 polish
seal with Chemical Guys Jet Seal - paint and glass
wax Meguiars 26

I use the nanoskin on painted and glass areas of the vehicle.
The nanoskin does what a clay bar does in MUCH less time.
Removes dirt, impurities, and pollution a regular wash doesn't remove.
It leaves your paint and glass as smooth, or smoother, than when it was new.
Just make sure to follow the directions and keep the pad lubricated.
There are youtube videos that helped me.

Doing the plastic bag test with the nanoskin is like going from sandpaper to a sheet of glass.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I use a clay bay on my new cars. You'd be surprised how much rail dust gets into the paint. I will clay bar the whole thing then a sealant, my current favorite being Zaino. My detail guy says he sees more brand new vehicles trashed by prepping the paint at the dealer Frown

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been just taking advantage of the drive through car wash at the dealership, now you guys have gotten me thinking about clay bars and synthetic sealants

I have used Liqui Tech polish on the motorcycles for years,and the bottle has gone a long way with only using it on the fenders and tanks

I think I'll checkout some of the brands you guys mentioned

Any other suggestions or manufacturers you like for maintaining the finish?

Thanks

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the autogeek forums

That will keep you busy with the vast array of products and information. Lots of very knowledgeable people.

I've countless hours on it