SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Northern Michigan Members: Ticks?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Michigan Members: Ticks? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
A colleague who's a Reservist and will be going up to Grayling for training just got off the phone and reported he was told the ticks are particularly bad already this season.

Apparently his dad was up in that area last weekend and picked up a couple, and he'd used repellant.

We were supposed to go up this weekend with friends, out into some serious, non-nonsense back-woods in the vicinity of Houghton Lake. We're talkin' several miles of two-tracks to get there. Usually it's not a problem, this time of year, but, we had an unusually mild winter.

ETA: I was thinking maybe rain suppressed them. Just the opposite: Moisture increases the risk. We've had a wet spring, and my buddy says it may rain up there this weekend... *sigh*

To make matters more concerning: Powassan virus is now being spread by deer ticks, and it makes Lyme Disease look tame, by comparison Frown

So what say you, Sigforum Oracle? Am I being needlessly concerned?

(I suspect, once I relay this to my wife, she's going to nix the plans, anyway.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a week living in the woods of the UP. Didn't find any ticks on our bodies but did find one on some dirty clothes in our laundry container. I guess we did pick up at least one hitch hiker. We are a bit freaked out about the Powassan virus so we wore long pants when hiking and did regular body inspections. What else can you do but stay out of the woods. Not an option for us.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sawyer repellent is good stuff for deep backwoods protection. Use on clothing ONLY.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-...g+mosquito+repellent

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I make sure my arms and legs are covered with a lightweight material when hiking MI. Use tick spray on my clothing.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sawyer spray on clothes, shoes, with deet repellant everywhere else, tick checks.

There are plenty in the Northern U.P. already, so I'm sure Grayling too. Spring is high time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Little late to order from Amazon, but, according to Sawyer's web site, three or four retailers in the area carry it, so we should be GTG there. Thanks for the recommendation!

Recommendation for DEET (I assume) to apply to skin?

Turns out May is peak tick month in Michigan. Lived here all my life, and we've done this with our friends every May for several years, and I did not know that! WTF?!?!

So I'm thinking just take extra precautions, this time, and go.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Permethrin. Walmart sells it, spray on boots and clothes. I just "check for ticks" when we get home, nothing you can do about them and I just go on with life as normal.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I picked one up about a month ago while mowing the lawn. First one I've had in Michigan, only other time I picked one up while in New Mexico while working with the forestry division at a wildfire and that was in the mid 1980's.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been out in the woods several times recently. Nothing out of the ordinary. No ticks yet. And I use the Sawyer spray treatment on my clothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Belt and suspenders, DEET on skin, Permethrin on clothing. I have a sleeping bag liner factory treated with Permethrin, will be testing it this summer. Tick checks. And forget the fancy gadgets use small forceps/medical tweezers to remove any ticks promptly. The shorter exposure time means less chance that the vermin spread an infection.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I've Permethrin for the clothes below the waist, Deep Woods Off for above, and Off wipes for the skin. That should do it, I think?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Be glad it's not those black flies. Nothing stops them.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I just picked one off my face here, 50 miles north of Detroit, in Genesee county. First time seeing one here...

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Stay out of long tall grass

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Peppermint oil is good way to remove ticks without leaving any parts embedded in your skin.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in the service we got these little 2oz bottles of insect juice....they never had any readable ingredients or instructions on them....then ONCE I got a brand new can..turns out it was 90% DEET and we were supposed to treat out outer uniform garments....and not to apply it directly to our skin...

That was the best shit ever.

my buddy took a tick, and put a line of the DEET stuff on his finger and drew a line on the table and forced the tick across it...the tick was dead before he got about 1/8 of an inch......

now I use Sportsman bug repellent...it's got 30% DEET in it and doesn't smell bad (like fresh dirt)...it will keep the bugs off you...I get it at Walmart [shudders}

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am a couple states south but the ticks are out of control this year compare to usual.
I burnt two fields prepping food plots yesterday and my pants were covered. Come shower time I had quite a few on me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
What can I do to protect my dawgs when I let them out in the yard/grass?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

It's good to carry a waking stick and you can beat a path in front of you. It helps.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

It's good to carry a waking stick and you can beat a path in front of you. It helps.

Thanks for the reminder!

I have three of 'em, and manage to forget bringing one just about every time we travel.

Maybe I should just put one in the truck and leave it there?