SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Evansville, IN area members, I need your thoughts...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evansville, IN area members, I need your thoughts... Login/Join 
posted
We are considering a relocation for an Evansville, IN job. I'd appreciate any area insight. We will probably rent for a year to learn the area. And will be making a scouting trip shortly.

General thoughts on areas to look for a place? School system is not a consideration.

Should we consider KY for cost of living? Get closer to Louisville for city convenience? Good restaurants? Dog parks? The ever important gun range? etc...

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I live in southern Indiana suburbs of Louisville and have relatives in Evansville. I've been here since 1955 and would live no where else. Good people, great gun laws, moderate climate but 4 seasons for sure and they can get extreme. Money goes a long way and housing is reasonable.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live ~40mi N of EVV. It's the biggest 'small town' I think you can find.
I'm not familiar with ranges down there, the only 1 I've been to is closed, for good reasons (they were dicks). Make friends that live out of town - there's a whole lot of nothing around & we know how to use it Wink

Henderson is probably a little cheaper, but EV isn't expensive by any means. If your job is on the N or E side, commutes are easy. West side is a little congested/closed off, but not horrible. US41 runs thought the middle & is stoplight hell, but doesn't usually get choked. I69/164 runs from henderson up the East side to I64. If you want to go to Louisville, look at Newburgh or just NE Evansville (McCutcheonville or however the hell you spell it). You're still 2hrs away.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Traffic in Evansville is not an issue IMHO, not a Nashville, Indy or Louisville. A big, little city. East side (Warrick County) has about 1/2 the property taxes of Evansville (Vanderburgh county)

In 20 minutes you can make it anywhere on the the Indiana side.

Don't know about a dog park, Evansville has discussed one for the East side but not there yet.
Google Red Brush Rifle Range. Put your name in line if you are coming here, greast for pistols and rifle and North of town is trap, skeet and sporting clays.

You will be 150 miles from Indy, St. Louis, Louisville and Nashvile. So seeing big seeing big city evnents is not to far.

It is a shall issue state for CCW and Class III friendly.

Email me if we can talk more, will give you my cell. If we can help on your visit just let me know.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I appreciate the insights.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post